2009 - 2014 F-150

Pick/scrape at the rust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pick/scrape at the rust?

My 2012 F150 Screw is rusting at the back corners of the cab. I believe the 5 year warranty only covers rust when it causes a hole. No, I'm not going to poke a hole, but the 5 year anniversary is coming up fast and I wondered if I should scrape at this a bit to see if there is a hole. Perhaps the best thing to do to take to it the dealer and see what they say?

My area roads do not have salt very often, and these spots aren't being hit by rocks. I do drive a lot on dirt/gravel roads and the truck is no asphalt queen. It looks to me like there is not a large enough gap at the bottom edge to allow dirt and water to escape. Probably wet mud in the pocket 24/7/365

Pick/scrape at the rust?-tvwh9ik.jpg

Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a shame. I don't have any advise for you.

I've lived up an 8 mile dirt road for many years - and now for the past 20+ years along a paved road. Dirt roads can really cause havoc. The wet mud will stick to anything - won't wash away when driving in the rain.

The state in our area uses a 50/50 mix of salt and sand in the winter - this is worse than pure salt. The sand becomes saturated with the salt brine and sticks like glue to everything. Then this wonderful muddy slime full of salt brine works away at any metal it sticks to.

If you are thinking about showing it to the dealer I wound't touch it before hand - they will likely automatically deny you because of that. But of course the warranty is only for a perforation as you say.

When Ford came out with the aluminum body I thought that would be just the ticket for people who live in areas like us. But I am not in a position now to buy a new truck so I have to do what I can to keep my good 'ol '09 going.

Take your truck to a couple body shops and ask their opinion. It might be worth your investment at this point to get it fixed and just pay for it before it gets any worse. If I were in your shoes that is what I would do.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 AM
I agree, I wouldn't touch it prior to taking it into the dealer before having it looked at. I have some rust on the lower rocker on the edges and some rust in that rear hole at the back of the cab there, but nothing on the corner that you can see like that. Just low on the bottom. Now, my rear bumper is another story

Good luck with seeing what the dealer can do for you if it is still covered. Its always worth a shot, but I think your right, it has to be perforated.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys. Just ran it into the dealer. Service tech snapped one photo in the shade with door shut and about 5 foot away. Didn't touch it. He'll email it to Ford for approval/disapproval. I don't have much hope of it being covered, but also don't know what their definition of "perforation" is. It sure wasn't going to show up in a crappy photo.

Last edited by Redonthehead; 04-12-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:35 PM
That sucks, no rust on the '10 F150 here, I have an '02 Mustang GT which has rust on all 4 wheel wells and I feel horrible about it, can't imagine only a 5 year old truck starting to rust.