2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 f-150 trailer brake controller factory 4 pin

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 f-150 trailer brake controller factory 4 pin

Hey guys, new to the forum and I haven't seen anything that can answer a question I have. I own a 2011 f150 supercrew 4x4 that came factory with only the 4 pin trailer connector. I have installed the Hopkins 7 pin harness adapter which has a trailer brake controller line that runs up with the 12v power supply wire and the trailer reverse light wire. Now from what I have read, if your truck came factory with only a 4 pin, the truck isn't equip with the factory brake controller harness.
Now to the question, what do I need to do to hook up a brake controller?
I see there is a typical under dash harness, however does this still control trailer brakes? If so why does everyone say the truck won't have the harness?

Hopkins videos say to go under the hood on the driver side above the fender and find the blue wire coming from a wiring loom, then cut and splice into that wire. Can anyone elaborate as to whether this will work or not?

Old 02-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a plug above the spare tire that the wires go into and the 4pin comes out, there is an adapter you can get there which will let you have both the 7pin and the 4pin plugs, I also found the plug for the brake controller taped to the steering column right behind the plug for the computer, all you should have to do is get the wiring adapters for both ends.

Quick Reply: 2011 f-150 trailer brake controller factory 4 pin