2009 - 2014 F-150

My Review of Decked Truck Bed Storage System

Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Review of Decked Truck Bed Storage System

Howdy Y'all

Back Last month Decked was looking for a tester for the storage system and i was lucky enough to be picked.

Here is that link and a good video on the Installation. I'm not going to post alot on the install etc, cause it was exactly like the video showed.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ge-system.html.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDaR...1JRWLclmS-48pO

Ok so now on to the Very First stages of my review.

It was shipped Freight and arrived yesterday evening. It's a heavy piece at around 220lbs which is not bad because it is nice and Sturdy, No flimsiness what so ever.

Name:  IMG_20160216_160102_zpschiehycb.jpg
Views: 5259
Size:  110.1 KB

I had a Buddy, My 4 year old Son and myself installing it and it took around 2 1/2 hours to install. The instruction's are pretty clear and if there was any doubt the Installation Video cleared it up quickly. All the Hardware was labeled very nicely. Everything went together very easily and the fit on the truck is very good.

My son couldn't wait to stand on the deck and as soon as the drivers side half was put in he had to get up there with his friend!

Name:  IMG_20160217_112958_zpsnxvfakjl.jpg
Views: 5154
Size:  182.3 KB

Here are the Pics once everything was installed

Name:  IMG_20160217_131548_zpsuyyrjvtl.jpg
Views: 10675
Size:  179.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20160217_131605_zpseio3ihf7.jpg
Views: 6687
Size:  190.2 KB

Decked also sent me the Divider's and the Tray's for the Drawers, Trays fit perfect at the front and the dividers can easily be changed to other parts of the drawer depending how much space you need.

Name:  IMG_20160217_192231_zps3qsdojmn.jpg
Views: 5243
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20160217_192300_zpsexojonsn.jpg
Views: 5134
Size:  150.3 KB

I really wanted to load up the drawers tonight but the UPS truck didnt arrive until late, so i compromised!

Name:  IMG_20160217_184657_zpsjuewdxjr.jpg
Views: 4978
Size:  164.2 KB

Right now i am VERY impressed with this and can't find anything wrong with it, Its very Sturdy, The Handles and Drawers work perfectly, fit and finish is very good also. I will update this post once i start loading stuff into it and actually being able to use it. I plan on getting my ATV up there in the near future also and see how it does, Decked says it has a 2000lb capacity on top so it should handle my atvs no problem.

Also wanted to say the Customer Service has been absolutely great, very quick responses to any questions i have had!

Here is a quick little Video i Made this evening.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 02-17-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
That's a VERY nice looking storage solution Coy. And, you did a very good review. I'll be interested in how you find it works when you start putting things (other than your Son) into it.

I have two concerns:
1. The weight - 250# is pretty close to the weight of my bed shell and together they would total at least 500#. This would severely limit my cargo carrying capabilities. But, to make it as robust as it is, I don't see how it could be made to weigh less.

2. Is it waterproof? When it rains, do the drawers and cubbys fill up with water? You could test this with a garden hose, and I think everyone would want to know the answer to this. Of course if you have a cap or tonneau cover, this is a non-issue, but not everyone has or wants one of those, since each has its own drawbacks.
But, it looks VERY well made and is bound to give you a lot of secure storage. Nice review!

- Jack

Old 02-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
That's a VERY nice looking storage solution Coy. And, you did a very good review. I'll be interested in how you find it works when you start putting things (other than your Son) into it.

I have two concerns:
1. The weight - 250# is pretty close to the weight of my bed shell and together they would total at least 500#. This would severely limit my cargo carrying capabilities. But, to make it as robust as it is, I don't see how it could be made to weigh less.

2. Is it waterproof? When it rains, do the drawers and cubbys fill up with water? You could test this with a garden hose, and I think everyone would want to know the answer to this. Of course if you have a cap or tonneau cover, this is a non-issue, but not everyone has or wants one of those, since each has its own drawbacks.
But, it looks VERY well made and is bound to give you a lot of secure storage. Nice review!

- Jack
Hey Jack,

I do agree it does add quite a bit of weight. The system is 220 empty, then can go up to 200lbs a piece per drawer plus there is still 4 ammo can that stuff can be put it. So it would be safe to say the system could add 650 to 675lbs of weight to the bed, then figure your topper of 250lbs.

Decked States that the drawers are water proof and they do include a nice thick rubber seal on the drawers. I planned within the next day or two to check and see if it is waterproofed. They do state that the ammo cans aren't and recommend drilling drain holes.

So Far i have filled one drawer up with chains, Straps, Tools, Trailer Hitch and other miscellaneous and the systems works great. Even with the added weight they open and close as easily as they did empty.

I'm loving the security of the system and still able to use my bedcover, with the tailgate locked and bedcover on I don't see a way of anyone being able to get into the storage system, unless the popped the lock off the tailgate.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
I forgot to mention, the lids of the ammo cans have cup holders if you flip them over, Also it's a nice little touch with the bottle opener between the drawers

Old 02-19-2016, 03:47 AM
Does it provide any form of cargo tie downs, since I believe the assembly uses the factory cleats as anchors?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a good way to seal around the edges so small items don't find there way down in to the cracks along the edge of the bed?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by svt2205
Does it provide any form of cargo tie downs, since I believe the assembly uses the factory cleats as anchors?
I asked something like this in the first thread that Coy linked in his post. The answer is sorta. As the kit comes out of the box no but there is an optional rail system that adds a tie down system similar to how other OEMs offer.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Tie down system does not come with the unit but they do offer one. I'm going to have to get this before I load the ATV up.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Sweet deal!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

I have two concerns:

- Jack
Hey JackandJanet,
Thanks for the great questions. CoyRanch did a good job answering them. We do want to make everyone understands that the drawers are "weatherproof" not "waterproof" the latter inferring "tupperware". There is a slight gap around the ends of the drawers. If one were to spray a hose directly at that area or to back their truck into the lake, water could get into the drawers. But under normal conditions: heavy rain storms, blizzards, washing your truck etc water will not get into the drawers. You really have to try. It is possible for airborne particulate matter to get into the drawers like mist or dust. In summary, tools, guns, gear etc is totally safe inside your drawers but we would not recommend putting your laptop computer or digital camera in them unless in some sort of waterproof case.
Thanks!
DECKED

Last edited by DECKED; 02-23-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
Is there a good way to seal around the edges so small items don't find there way down in to the cracks along the edge of the bed?
Hey WoodsTruck,
We don't offer anything ourselves for this. The gap around the deck is about 1/4"+/-. Which we leave this bit of space to aid in fitting the system into trucks as most truck beds are NOT perfectly square and the DECKED product is. A guy could devise some sort of weatherstrip or other gasket to press into the gap. We'd be curious to see what people out there have done.
Thanks,
DECKED

Last edited by DECKED; 02-23-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Wookie
I asked something like this in the first thread that Coy linked in his post. The answer is sorta. As the kit comes out of the box no but there is an optional rail system that adds a tie down system similar to how other OEMs offer.
Wookie (love the name BTW),
We have seen people put i-bolts with a nut and two fender washers in the unused recesses in the ammo cans as cargo tie downs. If this is done be aware that it is not like connecting to steel bed tie downs so they won't like hundreds of pounds of force on them. But for tying down modest sized items could be acceptable you would just need to be mindful not to reef them down too tightly. The best bet is to get the Core Trax tie downs which are a proper cargo tie down system compatible with DECKED. Some other aftermarket cargo tie down options are available which offer more places to anchor ratchet straps etc.
Thanks,
DECKED

Last edited by DECKED; 02-23-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Howdy Y'all

Back Last month Decked was looking for a tester for the storage system and i was lucky enough to be picked.

Here is that link and a good video on the Installation. I'm not going to post alot on the install etc, cause it was exactly like the video showed.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ge-system.html.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDaR...1JRWLclmS-48pO

Ok so now on to the Very First stages of my review.

It was shipped Freight and arrived yesterday evening. It's a heavy piece at around 220lbs which is not bad because it is nice and Sturdy, No flimsiness what so ever.

I had a Buddy, My 4 year old Son and myself installing it and it took around 2 1/2 hours to install. The instruction's are pretty clear and if there was any doubt the Installation Video cleared it up quickly. All the Hardware was labeled very nicely. Everything went together very easily and the fit on the truck is very good.

My son couldn't wait to stand on the deck and as soon as the drivers side half was put in he had to get up there with his friend!

Here are the Pics once everything was installed

Decked also sent me the Divider's and the Tray's for the Drawers, Trays fit perfect at the front and the dividers can easily be changed to other parts of the drawer depending how much space you need.

I really wanted to load up the drawers tonight but the UPS truck didnt arrive until late, so i compromised!

Right now i am VERY impressed with this and can't find anything wrong with it, Its very Sturdy, The Handles and Drawers work perfectly, fit and finish is very good also. I will update this post once i start loading stuff into it and actually being able to use it. I plan on getting my ATV up there in the near future also and see how it does, Decked says it has a 2000lb capacity on top so it should handle my atvs no problem.

Also wanted to say the Customer Service has been absolutely great, very quick responses to any questions i have had!

Here is a quick little Video i Made this evening.

Decked Storage System Ford F150 - YouTube
Thanks for the great review KingRanchCoy!! We can tell that this was a good experience on the assembly and installation end and looks like you got it put together perfectly. Of course, good help helps and it looks you have some! Looking forward to hearing how it performs for you!
DECKED

Old 02-22-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Install looks great Coy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Review of Decked Truck Bed Storage System