2009 - 2014 F-150

Blown ecoboost 3000 miles out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown ecoboost 3000 miles out of warranty

I have 2011 F150 Lariat ecoboost. This pickup was great up until December. In the beginning of December merging onto the interstate my pickup misfired, shook and went to limp mode. I imminently pulled over and shut it down. When I restarted it, it had thrown a code so I took it into the dealer on my day off. This was at 62,000 miles roughly. The dealer had it all day and when I finally got it back they said nothing was wrong it just had a bad sensor and never actually misfired. Cost me $250 and I was on my way. Fast forward to Christmas day on the way to Great Falls MT from Billings to see my Brother the engine misfires I heard a loud pop and immediately lost all my oil pressure. The pickup was dead before I had it pulled over. This was at roughly 6300 miles. I was just outside Lewistown MT which isn't a very big town. I waited for someone to come by and got towed into town. Luckily they had a Ford dealership, So I left it there and waited for my brother to come get me. The Monday after Christmas when their service department reopened I called and was informed I needed a new engine which I suspected. They contacted Ford to see if I could get assistance and I waited until yesterday Jan. 5th only to be told they won't help. The way Ford marketed this engine with the ecoboost torture test and how durable this engine is you'd think I could get some sort of help. I maintained my pickup religiously and never did any more than drive back and forth to work. It wasn't a stressed engine. This is my fourth Ford pickup in my life, but my first newer one. I've been a loyal Ford owner my entire life and that's what we've run on our family's ranch. I feel like I just got robbed. For a pickup that was over 40 grand new you'd expect the engine to last longer than that. So now I'm in the market to buy a new vehicle because I don't want to put 10 grand in a pickup that might just do it again and leave me out even more money. Ford owners beware, Ford customer service is flawed. I can say this for sure, I'll never be buying new from Ford with this kind of treatment.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MTfordUSMC
I have 2011 F150 Lariat ecoboost. This pickup was great up until December. In the beginning of December merging onto the interstate my pickup misfired, shook and went to limp mode. I imminently pulled over and shut it down. When I restarted it, it had thrown a code so I took it into the dealer on my day off. This was at 62,000 miles roughly. The dealer had it all day and when I finally got it back they said nothing was wrong it just had a bad sensor and never actually misfired. Cost me $250 and I was on my way. Fast forward to Christmas day on the way to Great Falls MT from Billings to see my Brother the engine misfires I heard a loud pop and immediately lost all my oil pressure. The pickup was dead before I had it pulled over. This was at roughly 6300 miles. I was just outside Lewistown MT which isn't a very big town. I waited for someone to come by and got towed into town. Luckily they had a Ford dealership, So I left it there and waited for my brother to come get me. The Monday after Christmas when their service department reopened I called and was informed I needed a new engine which I suspected. They contacted Ford to see if I could get assistance and I waited until yesterday Jan. 5th only to be told they won't help...
Welcome to the forum, MTfordUSMC. I received your PM about this and escalated it to your regional customer service manager (CSM). Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist.

Crystal

Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks Crystal but Ford was quick to prove how disloyal they are to customers. I was nearly immediately given a response that "there are no programs in place to help me." I was refused an answer as to why I receive no help and why others who have been out of warranty with the same issue have received help. Ford has ZERO customer service and takes no liability for factory defects outside their short warranty program. Two years into my ownership of a 40,000 dollar pickup I'll be required to pay 10 grand just to continue to drive. That is 25% of what I bought it for and I still have three years left on my loan. Ford can say goodbye to any future business and any future recommendations of their products from me, my family, and a majority of my friends. Good luck to who ever continues business with them.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It was a 4 year old truck and out of warranty. What were you expecting?

And it was a first gen new tech motor. IE: beta tester.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
It was a 4 year old truck and out of warranty. What were you expecting?

And it was a first gen new tech motor. IE: beta tester.
That new of pickup should not need an engine in four years with low miles. I have two other fords well over 10 years old with over 200000 miles that still operate. I didn't expect full coverage but I think at least 50% of the cost is within reason. I expect any vehicle to last the life of the loan.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain, but this is going to be a tough one. By the letter of the law, Ford (or any other manufacturer for that matter) is well within their rights to say you're on your own - even one mile out of warranty.

If you want my opinion, I'd see if Crystal can be of any help to you. Don't go bad mouthing Ford to loudly or too soon. They're still a pretty darn good company and you never know what a little patience and persistence might do. I doubt they'll pick up the whole tab, but they might pick up part of it.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I gather you bought the truck used. Do you know the history of the truck? If you don't you may be blaming the wrong party. I'm wondering if it had been "tuned" by the original owner and the boost turned up?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
So let's see.
Has purchased four used trucks, never new.
Unknown (or un-provable) truck history.
Out of warranty.
Technical side of story is questionable at best.
Joins a forum for the sole purpose of bashing Ford with the widest possible audience.

Yep, I see Ford coming to help you out real soon. They are most likely grieving from the loss of your business.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MTfordUSMC
That new of pickup should not need an engine in four years with low miles. I have two other fords well over 10 years old with over 200000 miles that still operate. I didn't expect full coverage but I think at least 50% of the cost is within reason. I expect any vehicle to last the life of the loan.
Sorry buddy but you rolled the dice buying a used truck with a first gen new motor... dumb decision. Live with it.

I just bought a new 2015 F150, sold my 2005 I had 270,000 miles on it with the original motor. I also didnt run it like a bitch either. Used truck, no way.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:45 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
When buying the 2011, did you not have opportunity to extend the warranty?

If I owed three years on it .... Id be looking at putting a motor in it and starting over. You say you have two with over 10 years and 200K on them ..... so something worked for you.
Originally Posted by stuck screw
So let's see.
Has purchased four used trucks, never new.
Unknown (or un-provable) truck history.
Out of warranty.
Technical side of story is questionable at best.
Joins a forum for the sole purpose of bashing Ford with the widest possible audience.

Yep, I see Ford coming to help you out real soon. They are most likely grieving from the loss of your business.
Good points all of them.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Good point about the extended warranty. I never buy extended warranties on anything. But, if I bought an ecoboost, I would buy one.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel for you but you are out of warranty. Any motor can pack it in at any time. They all don't get to 200,000 miles. If you didn't buy it new and I get the impression you didn't then you really don't know how it has been treated. If the truck is worth saving I would put a new motor in it then decide whether to keep it or sell it. You should get the motor done outside the dealer and save a ton of money too.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by grizzstang
I feel for you but you are out of warranty. Any motor can pack it in at any time. They all don't get to 200,000 miles. If you didn't buy it new and I get the impression you didn't then you really don't know how it has been treated. If the truck is worth saving I would put a new motor in it then decide whether to keep it or sell it. You should get the motor done outside the dealer and save a ton of money too.
Back to the OPs credibility. A NEW crate motor can be had for eight grand, while lightly used can be had for half of that. The ten grand number was for no purpose other than to aggrandize and make things look worse than they are. I'm not buying any of this.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
10 grand at a Ford dealer including labor is very believable.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by glc
10 grand at a Ford dealer including labor is very believable.
Agree, but given the "family ranch" statement, I've never lived or worked on a ranch that couldn't do a simple motor swap.

Quick Reply: Blown ecoboost 3000 miles out of warranty