2009 - 2014 F-150

failed driveshaft center bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
failed driveshaft center bearing

The driveshaft center bearing on my 2010 fx4 failed the other day.
Luckily it happened leaving a stop so i was going very slowly .. but wow, what a noise! and the whole truck was vibrating like i was driving 100mph on a dirt road.
The thirty dollar center bearing on these trucks isn't replaceable, forcing us to buy a new thousand dollar driveshaft

I found a local shop that makes driveshafts with a replaceable Spicer center bearing and Spicer u-joints and saved a little bit of money over buying a new chinese jobber one. They re-use the transmission and diff ends from the old driveshaft. The shop said they do at least 2-3 a week of these f150 driveshafts.

failed bearing:

new driveshaft with different style slip yoke and replaceable bearing:

changing it out was pretty simple.

Last edited by nscirocco; 09-01-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That would be a little scary if it happened at speed.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this same thing happen to me about a year ago. Worst part was the fact that I was about 5 hours from home in another state with no other option then to drive it home. Thankfully my crew chief skills kicked in and I just safety wired it up till I could get to the dealership. It was fine at highway speed, but damn if wasn't noisy as hell and shaking the whole truck from stops and at turns. Chewed up the driveshaft really bad but got it all fixed and replaced upset warranty thankfully. Glad yours wasn't any worse that it was!

Quick Reply: failed driveshaft center bearing