2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 F150 FX4 dead on on way back from vacation....please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all I hope I can get some help here. Currently my:
210 F150 FX4, with the 5.4, flexfuel, is sitting at a dealership after having it towed there this afternoon. Wife a kids and myself had to get hotel because dealership is closed till monday. So i beg for any help here that i can possiblly get.....FAST, we still have a 7 hour drive to get home, before Monday...

Anyway, driving down on vacation pulling a boat, we had to change one of the crankshaft sensors, believe " sensor A" great everything was fine. On the way home I was pushing my luck I know, and let the fuel get really low, message read i had 30 miles till empty, the fuel station was 10 more miles so i was a fool and thought i could make it. Suddenly the truck died while on the highway, but came right back without any intervention beside letting off the gas pedal. I made it to the gas station, shut the truck off, filled it up, went to start it and got nothing.

Dash lights are working, but there is no crank. Nothing but some clicks from around the fuse box under the hood and on the passenger side. Don't believe i can hear the fuel pump. I do have a check engine light that will blink 8 times then stay on. I also have a code reader, which shows no codes, but it does show 4 INC.

I have disconnected the battery...no help
I have searched for a fuel pump reset switch.....apparently not on a 2010
I have check the fuses and relays, either visually or by swapping....no help

Are there some tricks out there? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Sometimes a very low battery or poor connection will cause this.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the reply, however i had the tow company try to jump and no go, all the lights and electrical in the cab seem to be working.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

When you run so low on fuel, it can cause damage to the fuel pump. It needs to be submersed to cool it. Could possibly be your problem. Also, if you live where they salt highways, could be the fuel pump module.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
When you run so low on fuel, it can cause damage to the fuel pump. It needs to be submersed to cool it. Could possibly be your problem. Also, if you live where they salt highways, could be the fuel pump module.
What do you mean by submerse? Is the fuel pump module something i can do with limited tools? (meaning i brought some road side tools)

Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by krazykram
What do you mean by submerse? Is the fuel pump module something i can do with limited tools? (meaning i brought some road side tools)
There is a write up in the Articles and How To section. Check the index for the write up. It will tell you what is involved.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If I read your problem correctly, the engine is not turning over at all. You can only hear clicks? this would mean it is something other than fuel related.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:15 PM
would any problems in the fuel system cause the truck not to crank at all that is the engine is not rotating in any way shape or form all I get is lights

Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
Nothing in the fuel system would cause a no-crank. It's electrical.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Nothing in the fuel system would cause a no-crank. It's electrical.
Right. That's why my first question was about the starting point of the electrical troubleshooting.

My next step would be checking fuses both under the dash and under the hood. Any of them related to ignition/starter. It could be a bad starter. In fact, that would be high on my list of suspects. Try tapping the starter while someone tries starting the truck.

Also, I'm suspicious that there could be some wear in the shift column. Have you tried wiggling/holding up on the gearshift while turning the key?

Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
Right. That's why my first question was about the starting point of the electrical troubleshooting.

My next step would be checking fuses both under the dash and under the hood. Any of them related to ignition/starter. It could be a bad starter. In fact, that would be high on my list of suspects. Try tapping the starter while someone tries starting the truck.

Also, I'm suspicious that there could be some wear in the shift column. Have you tried wiggling/holding up on the gearshift while turning the key?
Tapping on a modern starter is a BAD idea. The new designs use different types of magnets that will break if they are smacked much. On the old stuff that was a great way to get around a bad spot in the windings.

The Neutral Safety Switch should be checked. On the console shift models the shifter cover pops up and there's a white button below to use as an override. This can let you move the shifter to N to let you start the truck. I'm not sure where it is on the column shifters though. I earned a 30 pack off a guy once because of that button. His truck wouldn't start and mentioned something about having to get the shifter just right to make it work. Being that I was at deer camp and he was pretty mouthy I bet him a 30 pack I could get his truck to start right up. I enjoyed every single one of those beers that evening...

Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krazykram
Greetings all I hope I can get some help here. Currently my:
210 F150 FX4, with the 5.4, flexfuel, is sitting at a dealership after having it towed there this afternoon. Wife a kids and myself had to get hotel because dealership is closed till monday. So i beg for any help here that i can possiblly get.....FAST, we still have a 7 hour drive to get home, before Monday...
Welcome to the forum, krazykram; I wish you were joining us under better circumstances! Have you heard anything from the dealership this morning? How many miles are on your truck? I'll start digging around for some options to assist.

Crystal

Old 08-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Update?

Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 PM
bet it was a bad 10 amp mini fuse

Old 08-15-2015, 02:21 AM
Sounds like the battery. Mine just died recently(2010 XLT 4.6). Had me baffled for awhile but that is what it was. Lasted 5.5 years. Relays chattered up front, no crank. Displays did weird things and made weird noises.

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 FX4 dead on on way back from vacation....please help