2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 steering wheel clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 steering wheel clunk

I just bought this truck a week ago. It has just over 86k miles on it and it drives and looks nearly brand new. However, I noticed an occasional bump type feeling every so often when turning. It seems to come from the wheel and not the suspension. The Ford dealer put a new lower half shaft on the truck and that had no affect on the issue at all. If I grab the wheel at the bottom and top I can slightly rock it back and forth. I plan on taking it back to the dealer if I can get the place I bought the truck to pay for it. If not, I'm on my own. Is there an upper bearing or bushing behind the steering wheel that may be worn out? I crawled under the dash and had my son shake the wheel and I can hear the clunk right behind the wheel. If I have to do this repair myself how difficult is it? I am hoping I can get the dealer to fix it since it is still the same problem it went in for initially. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I think there's a U-joint and coupling in the steering column under the hood that needs to be looked at.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Steering

All of that was just replaced today.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by catchesbass
I just bought this truck a week ago. It has just over 86k miles on it and it drives and looks nearly brand new. However, I noticed an occasional bump type feeling every so often when turning....
Any luck with tracking down the clunk, catchesbass? If you end up getting this in front of your dealership, let me know. I'll research some ways to assist once you've received a diagnosis.

Crystal

Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Steering

I just got off of the phone with the dealership. I have an appointment on Monday. I actually got under the dash last night and had my son rock the steering wheel up and down. The noise and the "looseness" is right behind the wheel itself. Hopefully it will be an easier and faster repair than the half shaft they just did.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the yoke that the steering wheel goes through. There are a couple of bearings in there with plastic races that wear out...especially if you or the PO pull themselves into the truck by the wheel due to the lack of grab handle on the driver's side. The yoke is a single piece and costs about $500.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Whenever you take a vehicle to repaired for a noise/clunk/rattle make sure you show them how or when it happens. Things get lost in translations sometimes. You probably told the service writer that you hear a clunk in the steering wheel. He may have written your complaint as a clunking steering. The tech went after the most common issue we see on these trucks and replaced the lower steering shaft. Although many vehicles come into our dealer have the same or similar problems, sometimes we get the odd ball that is sometimes difficult to diagnois.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Steering

That's exactly what I was looking for. By any chance do you know the part number for that yoke or at least where I can find it? That way I can walk in Monday with all the info they will need. Thanks a million. This info is a God send.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:35 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for. By any chance do you know the part number for that yoke or at least where I can find it? That way I can walk in Monday with all the info they will need. Thanks a million. This info is a God send.
I don't have the time to look right now, but check out the exploded diagrams on the Tasca Ford website. Was right around $469 or something like that.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Steering

Will do. Thanks again!!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Part number

I think the part number you're looking for is:
9L3Z-3C529-F

the upper shaft is:
9L3Z-3B676-A
but I don't think it has the damaged bearings.

Great exploded parts diagrams:

http://levittownfordsupercenter.com/...n-parts/#parts

Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 AM
Steering

The crazy thing is that now the popping is gone. I assume the half shaft must have fixed the problem. When I left the dealer after they replaced the half shaft I could have sworn that I still felt it. But several days and miles later and it is as solid as can be. But thanks for the help. I'm sure with my luck the popping will return as soon as the warranty is up.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The crazy thing is that now the popping is gone. I assume the half shaft must have fixed the problem. When I left the dealer after they replaced the half shaft I could have sworn that I still felt it. But several days and miles later and it is as solid as can be...
Great news, catchesbass! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. Have fun driving in your noise-free rig.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2010 steering wheel clunk