2009 - 2014 F-150

Sliding Rear Window defog contacts

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same problem with my rear window, but am out of warranty now. Window opens and closes but dash light for defrost is inop but the heated mirrors seem to work ( I think ). Where are these contacts and can you bend them back into place so it will work again ? I just wont open the window anymore. 2011 F150XLT Supercab 4x4 5.0 with Chrome pkg. 40k.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F4E,

Contact prongs are behind the black piece on the sliding window itself....4 I believe. Those contact a flat plate on the entire window when closed to close the loop. I opened my window a few inches and checked it out with a flashlight a while back so I'm going off memory. Mine were dirty so I slid a micro fiber cloth with sprayed on contact cleaner and gently slid it back and forth to clean the prongs and I removed some gunk . It looks like one could actually remove the black piece off the window for more thorough cleaning. Now the flat contact piece on the solid window, I left that alone right now since it's hard to get at so I need a different strategy for that. I never had any problems with the system but I like my heated mirrors on foggy damp mornings where I live or I cant see crap....especially the driver one with the film on it that tints at night. It's a safety issue.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into cleaning them on the next warm day we get around here.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Just be careful, with this issue you don't want to blow out the back window. Personally, I didn't even try to use mine, just got it repaired, luckily extended warranty covered it.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Ugh.. mine doesn't work and I'm out of warranty. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without replacing the entire window?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 PM
I am having to go back for this issue on my 2013 Supercrew.

The first repair was to simply replace the switch in the dash for the rear defrost. That's what my dealer stated was the issue.

Having re-found this thread, I hope they don't try that boneheaded repair again, and go ahead with replacing the rear window. It seems like I have the exact same symptoms as most in this thread.

Here's to hoping my dealer doesn't screw around with me again. I'm well under warranty mileage (30,9xx), so Ford will pay them.

It really makes it hard to enjoy my Ford truck when Ford's dealership network does the bare minimum during services. Ugh.

Last edited by BigTRQ; 01-08-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
I am having to go back for this issue on my 2013 Supercrew...
Hi BigTRQ,

I want to do what I can to help resolve this issue for good. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case!

Crystal

Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 AM
I forgot about this thread

My rear defrost works, but the contact rubs on the glass when I operate the window open / closed. dealer blamed it on the extra tint, I removed a strip of tint, and it still does it.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Krohbar
...My rear defrost works, but the contact rubs on the glass when I operate the window open / closed. dealer blamed it on the extra tint, I removed a strip of tint, and it still does it.
Hi Krohbar,

It might be a good idea to get a second opinion from a different Ford Dealership. Find some local options by entering your ZIP code here: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 PM
Just tried my rear window defrost this week and the light came on for just a sec and then goes out. Checked fuses and looks OK. Could it be the relay? If I open and close the power slider, once and a while it will light the bulb for a sec…but not every time. My '13 Lariat just crossed the 60k mark...

Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Now the rear window defroster quit working, and, even though I have the Premiumcare Esp, it's not covered according to the dealer......

Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 PM
My 2012 rear window defroster quit

My rear defroster quit too and had 2 dealerships tell me no they can't fix it under ESP. I bought what I thought would cover it from them but they said no even though the warrenty says heater is covered. Sucks you buy something thinking you will have no problems and do after spending quite a bit of money with them .

Old 01-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I have the Ford Extended warranty,and it has written in black and white, "HEATED BACK GLASS". (I have the premium coverage, check your plan) I was dealing with a Lincoln dealership (closest to my office) for work. It took some info from Ford customer service here to talk with people at the ford warranty authorization center, and a phone call back to the dealership to set them straight. Check the brochure you were given when you purchased your warranty.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by MCinIL
My rear defroster quit too and had 2 dealerships tell me no they can't fix it under ESP...
MCinIL,

I replied to your PM. Please check your inbox when you get a chance.

Originally Posted by Krohbar
It took some info from Ford customer service here to talk with people at the ford warranty authorization center, and a phone call back to the dealership to set them straight....
Krohbar,

Thanks for the mention, and for sharing your story along with the resolution.

Have a great day, and we will be here if you need us!

Tricia

Old 01-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService

and we will be here if you need us!

Tricia

Right! And just bring plenty of $100 bills!

Quick Reply: Sliding Rear Window defog contacts