2009 - 2014 F-150

Who has the most miles on their EcoBoost?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has the most miles on their EcoBoost?

I've read about problems related to misfires while driving in very humid or moist conditions and it was related to the charge air cooler getting too much moisture inside. But I realize there was also a plug change and gap on the plug change also. I also read about potential carbon build up on a couple of specific intake valves where the PCV valve empties its gases into the intake. The thought on the carbon issue is because it's direct injected and the fuel does not spray on the valves to clean them all the time.

Anyway, I realize by asking a discussion forum we will get only a tiny tiny percentage of answers from 3.5L EcoBoost owners because the vast majority of F150 owners will never join a discussion forum like this. but I was just curious who has high mileage and has not experienced these problems on 2014 four 2013 models. I would like to keep my truck for at least 10 years or maybe 12.

My truck is a 2014 built in April. It has the latest charge air cooler and tune from the factory.

Last edited by lariatf150; 06-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, quit overthinking things and just enjoy your truck. I'm at 63,000 and have one of the first 2011 EBs off the line and have 0 problems to report. I have seen on other forums a lot to trucks are well over 100,000 trouble free miles. The issues with the CAC can be easily fixed if it ever happens to you. It has happened to me all of 1 time and I am on the very first design. I'm not worried about it. I pull my PCV hoses every few oil changes and check for deposits or oily residue in them. So far they have always been dry and clean when I took them off. The truck runs great and I have no reason to believe this will change for a long time. These motors do seem to work the best when they get run hard every once in a while.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

3,000 miles... Half of the miles were pulling a trailer from Atlanta to San Antonio. Do I win?

Last edited by Barrett; 06-29-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can attest to these things liking to work.. I've got over 5000 miles on mine so far and have towed my TT about 1000 miles so far and it's running better than it did when it had 35 miles on it when I bought it in January this year.

I too have read all the 'bad' things that have happened to others and for now, I'm just gonna wait and see how it goes for me...

I'm not much into "modding" anymore, so it's gonna stay pretty much stock.. I would normally change the exhaust, but I like how the stock setup is quiet, but gives a nice growl when it's working..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Man, quit overthinking things and just enjoy your truck. I'm at 63,000 and have one of the first 2011 EBs off the line and have 0 problems to report. I have seen on other forums a lot to trucks are well over 100,000 trouble free miles. The issues with the CAC can be easily fixed if it ever happens to you. It has happened to me all of 1 time and I am on the very first design. I'm not worried about it. I pull my PCV hoses every few oil changes and check for deposits or oily residue in them. So far they have always been dry and clean when I took them off. The truck runs great and I have no reason to believe this will change for a long time. These motors do seem to work the best when they get run hard every once in a while.
Thanks Joe. I'm trying not to worry about it, but at the same time being mindful that there's been enough of an issue that Ford has issued TSBs to resolve the misfire thing. Like I said, I'm sure the people here are only a tiny fraction of owners and I imagine the vast majority have no problems. I love my truck and I'm sure it'll last a long time for me if properly cared for, like my last truck. I couldn't help but be curious though about any high mileage owner's experience.

The CAC/moisture issue isn't the one that really makes me wonder. It's the one about the carbon building up on the valves. That Ford tech that participates here has seen this problem firsthand...so apparently it is indeed happening. BUT....I have no idea about those owner's maintenance habits, what oil they use, etc, etc. It may never happen to me based on my personal driving habits and choice of oil, frequency of oil changes, etc, etc.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Man, quit overthinking things and just enjoy your truck. I'm at 63,000 and have one of the first 2011 EBs off the line and have 0 problems to report.
lol, 63k miles... you shouldnt be reporting issues at that point because there shouldnt be any

Anyone got 100k or more? doubt many of them will make it that long without major $$$ in repairs

Old 06-29-2014, 04:11 PM
crazynip.. Have you changed the plugs in your rig yet?? Have fun with that!

Mitch

Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
lol, 63k miles... you shouldnt be reporting issues at that point because there shouldnt be any Anyone got 100k or more? doubt many of them will make it that long without major $$$ in repairs
I'll take that bet. Go look on "that other F-150 site" there are plenty of guys there in the 100k+ club. What's your great source for this knowledge? Engineering degree, lots of wrench time on the EB?
Originally Posted by MitchF150
crazynip.. Have Looks great...now to get the room back together tomorrow!! I'll be there early!!you changed the plugs in your rig yet?? Have fun with that! Mitch
Hahahaha! Even if he doesn't break any getting them out he will be a couple of hours and a hundred $$$ deeper into it than changing the plugs on an EB.

Content edited

Last edited by Bluejay; 06-29-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:11 PM
35k on mine since april 2013.. 25k running around tuned. No problems at all

Old 06-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
lol, 63k miles... you shouldnt be reporting issues at that point because there shouldnt be any

Anyone got 100k or more? doubt many of them will make it that long without major $$$ in repairs
How many Ebs do you own or have you owned? Since you seem like you know what your talking about.. Oh wait, typical EB hater

Old 06-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Guys, keep in mind that you don't have to own something to have an opinion and the freedom to express that opinion.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Guys, keep in mind that you don't have to own something to have an opinion and the freedom to express that opinion.
Or obvious troll is obvious. Look at his last handful of posts in the 2009-2014 and 2015 section, all are meant to stir the pot.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input so far :-) And I guess if you're in the higher mileage club and you do reply with how many miles you have on your 3.5 EcoBoost so far and have not have the misfire and so on that people have talked about, I'm curious to know if you have any mods....like a catch can, custom tune on the computer, etc. I plan on keeping mine totally stock, but I admit I'm mildly tempted to look at one of those more simple catch can products. Not the one that has you drilling holes in the intake tubes near the turbos. There's just no way I'd be comfortable doing that, especially while it's under warranty. And I guess I also have faith that mine late build 2014 (built in April of this year) has all the 'fixes' already built-in.

I really love the truck and I love that engine. I just want to be overly cautious to take good care of it since it's admittedly a more complex design and repairs have the potential to be much higher if certain things go wrong once it's out of warranty.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
And the op made a simple thread about how many miles EB OWNERS have on their truck. No reason for his opinion since he doesnt own one, only reason he replied was to start a thread bashing.

So Jim what do you think of the Eb?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Again, this is a discussion forum. He has the right to post an opinion as long as he is not insulting.

I learned a long time ago that you guys are not interested in any ones opinion that is not pro EB. I also stated a long time ago, it just did not fit my needs, and nothing has happened to change that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has the most miles on their EcoBoost?