2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How critical is speedo calibration after a level/wheel/tire size change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How critical is speedo calibration after a level/wheel/tire size change?

Getting my Pro Comp SS level, Fuel Hostage 20's and Pro Comp Xtreme MT2's installed today. I haven't bucked up for a speedo calibration tool yet but I've read plenty about the truck shifting at odd points due to larger tire diameter.

Of course, speedo and odo will be off too. I plan to get one on order asap but is there any issue driving the truck prior to getting things calibrated?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
It all depends on how much taller or shorter the new tires are compared to what is programmed in the computer. If it's only about an inch difference, then you won't notice a big difference in shift points. Much over that and the transmission will be confused.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM
I have a question about this, too. Currently running stock Bridgestone 275/55R20 (31.9" diameter) on an A-S 1.5" level.

Am looking at going to 295/60R20 when the original tires are done. That's 33.9" and a difference of a bit more than 6%.

Any recommendations on tools to update the computer when the time comes?

2013 Screw, long box.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 PM

Look into an SCT (with custom tunes) to do this, both of you. It's better to have your own tool (versus a dealer flash) so you have the ability to change settings any time you change tires sizes in addition to a programmer. No point, in my opinion, in getting something that only changes the tire diameter. A programmer (with custom tunes) helps with the sluggishness due to bigger tires too.

Driving with bigger tires without changing settings for a short period won't hurt anything.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Look into an SCT (with custom tunes) to do this, both of you. It's better to have your own tool (versus a dealer flash) so you have the ability to change settings any time you change tires sizes in addition to a programmer. No point, in my opinion, in getting something that only changes the tire diameter. A programmer (with custom tunes) helps with the sluggishness due to bigger tires too.

Driving with bigger tires without changing settings for a short period won't hurt anything.
Thanks KMAC. Looks like the SCT SF3 is the way to go.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Other options

Recently discussed - and a real good reason to at least try to find this stuff fer yesef, using the danged Search Function.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...tire-size.html

Which works just peachy, by the way, KMACattack.

Ol' Bubba be gittiin' raht tahred o' doin' this here Searchin' thang o'er n' o'er fer all you entitled snotnosed millennial youngin's

So come on - hep an ol' feller out, aight?

Thankee

Old 11-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Again, thank you KMAC for the helpful reply.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by dosman
Didje read the link I provided? You could save some $$$.

Here it is agin - yep that thar be a linky, aight.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...tire-size.html

And where/who do ye think ol' KMAChappymeal got his info from

So - how is that not helpful?

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-22-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Old 11-22-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
And where/who do ye think ol'KMAChappymeal got his info from
Well that particular piece of info (thought) shared this time came from none other than the melon on my shoulders What's below came from searching (though not anytime recently), but mostly the melon absorbing info.

You're welcome, dosman. Between the ability to change tire size, help with the bigger tires, and check error codes without having to run to an autoparts store or dealer, an SCT is well worth it. I personally didn't even notice much of a difference in performance as it seems most others do, but even then it was more than worth the money for convenience. Getting custom-made tunes from 5star or MPT would be good too. For cost's sake, MPT is cheaper and is actually the same exact price as buying an SF3 or X3 without tunes.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by dosman

Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Well that particular piece of info (thought) shared this time came from none other than the melon on my shoulders What's below came from searching (though not anytime recently), but mostly the melon absorbing info.

You're welcome, dosman. Between the ability to change tire size, help with the bigger tires, and check error codes without having to run to an autoparts store or dealer, an SCT is well worth it. I personally didn't even notice much of a difference in performance as it seems most others do, but even then it was more than worth the money for convenience. Getting custom-made tunes from 5star or MPT would be good too. For cost's sake, MPT is cheaper and is actually the same exact price as buying an SF3 or X3 without tunes.
Sure.

But - not everyone needs a custom tune, or a programmer for that matter.

On the new trucks, given they are so good out of the box, AND the potential for warranty denial, it may simply be prudent to have an approved one-time change done by a dealer - if the change is minimally within reason of course.

And the devices that only do GR/TS adjustments, for more extreme changes, would not incur the wrath of the Warranty God, lol. And save a little coin.

For codes - a cheap Harbour Freight scanner can do eveything an X3 can do (and sometimes even more) for very little $, AND work on many more vehicles than just Fords...

MGD

Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 PM
I personally didn't even notice much of a difference in performance as it seems most others do,.
Just got back from picking my truck up after PruRunner SS level installed, D530 Hostage 20x9 wheels and ProComp Xtreme MT2 tires at 295/55/20. I'm working the size calculation now to see how much different from the stock 275/65-18's they are, but standing them side-by-side it doesn't seem to be much. Seat of the pants feel is almost no difference.

But, we all know what seat of the pants feel is worth.....

Old 11-22-2013, 07:54 PM
According to our site's awesome size calculator, there is only a .7 inch diameter difference.....I wonder if it's even worth dropping the coin to calibrate. I'm going to stick my GPS in it tomorrow and see what she says as far as MPH discrepancy.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Sure.

But - not everyone needs a custom tune, or a programmer for that matter.

On the new trucks, given they are so good out of the box, AND the potential for warranty denial, it may simply be prudent to have an approved one-time change done by a dealer - if the change is minimally within reason of course.

And the devices that only do GR/TS adjustments, for more extreme changes, would not incur the wrath of the Warranty God, lol. And save a little coin.

For codes - a cheap Harbour Freight scanner can do eveything an X3 can do (and sometimes even more) for very little $, AND work on many more vehicles than just Fords...

MGD
Thank you.

Quick Reply: How critical is speedo calibration after a level/wheel/tire size change?