2009 - 2014 F-150

Problems with my 2013 F150

Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with my 2013 F150

I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 and am having problems.

When i start it up in the morning it has a pretty bad tick until it is warm, (I always use the ford oil with filter) I have taken it to 2 dealerships and they say its normal, i call bs but they wont do anything.

When i was towing my 18 foot car hauler with my 70 Challenger on it from Dallas to Memphis i was about to pass someone and it started rattling pretty bad. I pulled over and let it idle and it kept making the noise. I shut the truck off and restarted it a few minutes later and it seemed ok. I got to Memphis and was about to exit off when the temp gauge pegged and the truck went into limp mode. I was able to get it to the hotel and after i shut the truck off and checked everything i found out it didnt overheat and it hasnt done it since

Also i have always smelt coolant put no one including the ford dealership can find where it is coming from. Just seeing if anyone else has had this problem?

This is my second 5.0 and had problems with both of them.. On the 2011 had to have the engine replaced at 28,000 miles due to loosing compression in cylinder 3.

I have drove the ecoboost and they seem to have great power and torque but have also heard its a hit and miss deal with those.

Opinions on what i should do would be great. I have always owned ford trucks but after the last 2 im wondering if it's time to move on to something else?

Thanks everyone, i really like this forum and have been lurking around for the last couple years and finally decided to join

Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you describe the tick better? Where is it coming from and what does it sound like. Is it a hollow metallic, high pitched clicking sound that is in rhythm to the engine speed or and intermittent sound. It might be something as simple as the fuel injectors and the sound they make. It seems the new higher pressure injectors make a lot more noise. The injectors on the EB make quite a racket but it's just the way they are. With a better description one of the guys on here with a 5.0 might recognize it.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the dealerships you have been too arent doing a very good job, I would be raising hell if my truck was doing that. Good luck, there are some knowledgeable guys on here that will try to help you. My neighbor has a 13 5.0 and has coolant puking out of bottle and the dealership say they cant find anything wrong with it. So cant help you there.Since you are towing maybe look into a ecoboost? Mine has been perfect so far and great mpg's. Other people hasnt been so lucky though
Hopefully this thread doesn't get derailed but most people are happy with their 5.0's

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 11-19-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 AM

Raise more hell at the dealerships and tell them everything you just told us. Don't take no for an answer and MAKE them look at it. That's not normal and shouldn't be happening.

edit: to clarify, the towing incident is not normal. The ticking can be/is depending on what's causing it and how loud it is.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-20-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Cuz
Mine (5.0) makes a ticking noise as well when first starting. I think its normal. The other problem you had, with the towing, that's no bueno. I've towed some heavy loads and not experienced anything like that.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Can you describe the tick better? Where is it coming from and what does it sound like. Is it a hollow metallic, high pitched clicking sound that is in rhythm to the engine speed or and intermittent sound. It might be something as simple as the fuel injectors and the sound they make. It seems the new higher pressure injectors make a lot more noise. The injectors on the EB make quite a racket but it's just the way they are. With a better description one of the guys on here with a 5.0 might recognize it.
Over the last week the "tick" had turned into a clank sound. Sounds like a dry start, Pretty loud on startup and it gets quiter as the engine warms up. Last week i was coming up to a stop sign and it just died on me. No warning at all. It would crank but not fire, finally after about 5 mins it started up.

So long story short i drove to the ford dealership and traded it in for a 2013 FX2 Ecoboost. So far i'm very happy with the switch!

This ecoboost just sounds healthier than my last truck. I hope to get plenty of trouble free miles out of this one.. My last 2 f150's havent been that great.

Pics to come in a few day

Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by rblacksman

i drove to the ford dealership and traded it in for a 2013 FX2 Ecoboost. So far i'm very happy with the switch!

This ecoboost just sounds healthier than my last truck.

Well it sounds like it was time to make some sort of a switch..Hopefully the ecobeast will do you a good job. I know mine has.

I actually LOL'd when i read those two sentences i quoted. This may be the first time a member has traded a 5.0 for a ecoboost cause of problems. Or others have and just not told anyone

Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new truck, the EB will pull that old Dodge around no problem. Hopefully this new truck will treat you well. I have nothing but good things to say about my EB and everyone I have talked to feel the same way. The few issues there have been have been greatly exaggerated on internet forums.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:09 PM
How bout showing some pics of that 70 challenger?

Dad had a 70 Challenger he bought brand new. 440 magnum plum crazy with a white top and white leather interior.

He owned it until 1979 and went through a divorce, she got everything except the clothes he had on and the money he had in his wallet. To this day that challenger is still sitting in the same spot where he parked it in the garage in 1979 and hasnt been touched or anything. Only has 42,000 original miles on it.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a 2012 5.0 and have 36k miles on it. Made an appointment prior to running out of warranty because of a surging issue, and check engine light came on the night before. They got 22 codes and 4 different misfire codes. After 2 weeks of back and forth with Ford, found out cylinder #3 loosing compression.

Rblacksman can you elaborate what happened with your last truck when it lost compression? I'm thinking of trading it in too because of long range reliability issues, but would be torn over the 5.0 and EB if I did get a new one.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by jayjaysin
They got 22 codes and 4 different misfire codes.
Holy Geez! That could be a new record.

I found this thread. sounds like the same problem you are having.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2012-f1...222684/index3/

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-05-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have put my foot into it & served it up to the Ford Dealer of your choice on a flatbed with a blown motor! That is what a warranty is for! Heck with buying a new truck you already did & paid sales tax on!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by rblacksman
Over the last week the "tick" had turned into a clank sound. Sounds like a dry start, Pretty loud on startup and it gets quiter as the engine warms up. Last week i was coming up to a stop sign and it just died on me. No warning at all. It would crank but not fire, finally after about 5 mins it started up.

So long story short i drove to the ford dealership and traded it in for a 2013 FX2 Ecoboost. So far i'm very happy with the switch!

This ecoboost just sounds healthier than my last truck. I hope to get plenty of trouble free miles out of this one.. My last 2 f150's havent been that great.

Pics to come in a few day
The bad part is that you will never know what was wrong with the 5.0!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by jayjaysin
I have a 2012 5.0 and have 36k miles on it. Made an appointment prior to running out of warranty because of a surging issue, and check engine light came on the night before. They got 22 codes and 4 different misfire codes. After 2 weeks of back and forth with Ford, found out cylinder #3 loosing compression.

Rblacksman can you elaborate what happened with your last truck when it lost compression? I'm thinking of trading it in too because of long range reliability issues, but would be torn over the 5.0 and EB if I did get a new one.
It was missing real bad, lack of power, check engine light on

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Holy Geez! That could be a new record.

I found this thread. sounds like the same problem you are having.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2012-f1...222684/index3/
My First 5.0 F150 had 27 codes at one time

Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I would have put my foot into it & served it up to the Ford Dealer of your choice on a flatbed with a blown motor! That is what a warranty is for! Heck with buying a new truck you already did & paid sales tax on!
Ive already went through this once and didnt want a repeat. It was time for something different

Originally Posted by Roadie
The bad part is that you will never know what was wrong with the 5.0!
I dont care what was wrong with it, i just couldnt keep a truck that was already starting to have major problems, If it had just happened one time then maybe i wouldve kept it longer to see, but with my first 5.0 and then this one it was time to dump it.
I have a few friends with the mustang v8's and some of them have a pretty bad knocking sound coming from the bottom end, one buddy is on his 3rd engine in 75,000 miles and its a 2011. Hes glad he got the extra warranty Seems like the mustangs have more of a problem than the truck engines do, not sure what the difference is between the 2

Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 PM
kingranchcoy i will post some pics of the challenger in a few days along with the new truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with my 2013 F150