2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problems with my 2013 F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 5.0 guys sure are staying quite on this thread Now if it were a ecoboost thread then we would have 5 or 6 pages by now

(sorry figured i should stir the pot a little bit)

Old 12-08-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
How bout showing some pics of that 70 challenger?

Dad had a 70 Challenger he bought brand new. 440 magnum plum crazy with a white top and white leather interior.

He owned it until 1979 and went through a divorce, she got everything except the clothes he had on and the money he had in his wallet. To this day that challenger is still sitting in the same spot where he parked it in the garage in 1979 and hasnt been touched or anything. Only has 42,000 original miles on it.
Think she'd notice if we pulled a "rescue mission?" I'm game . . .

You should link this for doofus I've been on your team for the last few days!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 PM
My 2012 started making 2 different engine noises at 27.000 km, bottom end knocking noise and top end ticking noise, after a 6 week ordeal dealer replaced the drivers side head for the ticking noise, claims scored lash adjuster bore, 2 weeks later they replaced the short block for the engine knock, don't know the outcome yet, truck is still at the dealership.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
And someone said they couldn't believe I posted the only engine I'd have in a current F150 was the 6.2. Like KRCs friend with the over heating 5.0, it's going to take the new head designs to cure the defective water cooling ports that are restricted in his friends 5.0. And that is a common issue with the 5.0 but getting Ford to fix it..... You don't have to tour the Mustang forums long before you find the bottom end of the 5.0 is another issue, like this poster. They had issues when this engine first came out and still have issues with it. This is what happens when any car maker put all new power plants in their vehicles- issues. They can test and run mules for a million miles but only the real world test dummy, meaning the buyers, can really tell if a power plant is a success or a bust. The engineers at Ford put far too much on their plate at one time. I fear this is going to effect Fords future and reliability record. But I've been wrong before....once upon a time

Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Labnerd
And someone said they couldn't believe I posted the only engine I'd have in a current F150 was the 6.2. Like KRCs friend with the over heating 5.0, it's going to take the new head designs to cure the defective water cooling ports that are restricted in his friends 5.0. And that is a common issue with the 5.0 but getting Ford to fix it..... You don't have to tour the Mustang forums long before you find the bottom end of the 5.0 is another issue, like this poster. They had issues when this engine first came out and still have issues with it. This is what happens when any car maker put all new power plants in their vehicles- issues. They can test and run mules for a million miles but only the real world test dummy, meaning the buyers, can really tell if a power plant is a success or a bust. The engineers at Ford put far too much on their plate at one time. I fear this is going to effect Fords future and reliability record. But I've been wrong before....once upon a time
Howdy, Labnerd!

Let me preface this by stating I've always held your knowledge and advice in very high regard. You're not just a member who posts just to see his name on a screen (not mentioning any names ), and when you post, it's usually something folks can learn from. Your posts are less about opinion and more about what you've learned through experience, and I appreciate that.

This brings me to my next point. What, in your personal experience, leads you to believe that the 5.0 (or even the EB) isn't an engine worth having? You note the potential for problems when all-new engines are introduced. Yet, the 6.2 is an "all-new" engine itself, and it's the only engine you mentioned as worth having?

It just seems that there'd be many more issues mentioned on this and other Ford truck forums if there were widespread and trouble with the 5.0, and I'm just not seeing it.

Maybe I'm just missing it? What, in your experience based opinion, makes the 6.2 the only engine to have?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The 6.2 is a basic engine architecture that Ford has built for decades. There's nothing really new in the engine design and not much in technology to make it work. It's a cast iron block for longer life with aluminum heads for the weight savings. Simple OHC engine. It doesn't require a 5 gallon can of sensors to make it work and it doesn't have a pickup load of technology to make it work. Maintenance is pretty much straight forward and long term will cost less to own than the others. There's not a boatload of crap strapped to it to make it work that you as the owner are going to have to replace and maintain. Frankly, in most of the commercial units, it gets as good of gas mileage as anything they have under the hood. Many are averaging over 20 mpgs with it. You also have the guys that think the truck is for racing and don't do as well but the engines are holding up just fine. Transmissions are another issue though for those with a heavy foot. I don't think this engine will be available in 2016 though- my guessing at work here. Ford is playing with direct injection and EcoBoosting the 5.0. Just adding direct injection to the design is going to bring a lot of power and better fuel management. The 6.2 will not be needed any longer. I think Ford is making a huge mistake due to the fact that they are putting all of their eggs in one EcoBoost basket. If you buy a Ford, you'll be buying into EcoBoost as that's all they'll have. I think it's a huge mistake. GM has incredibly simple engines that are direct injected making more power, using less fuel than the EB. Cost of ownership will be much lower..... for the engine anyway. It's the rest of the GM product that sucks that might make it as expensive to own. Hard to say considering GM, Ford, and Toyota are building most of their cars in concert these days. There's a lot of shared technologies these days in the engines, transmissions, etc.

FWIW, my opinion which is mine, the best V8 engine to sit in an F150 is the 4.6 2 valve. The best 6 cylinder would be the 300 inline. The 4.6 would have been far more economical and desirable had they put a 6 speed auto behind it. Probably would have boosted the MPGs as well. Considering todays emissions controls, the 300 could have been cleaned up with direct injection and could have been one of the best engines of all times. UPS uses this same engine in their diesel configurations- that's how strong this architecture is. Ford made a mistake at dropping any development on this engine. I'm a believer in KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid. Ford apparently doesn't agree.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Labnerd
The 6.2 is a basic engine architecture that Ford has built for decades. There's nothing really new in the engine design and not much in technology to make it work. It's a cast iron block for longer life with aluminum heads for the weight savings. Simple OHC engine. It doesn't require a 5 gallon can of sensors to make it work and it doesn't have a pickup load of technology to make it work. Maintenance is pretty much straight forward and long term will cost less to own than the others. There's not a boatload of crap strapped to it to make it work that you as the owner are going to have to replace and maintain. Frankly, in most of the commercial units, it gets as good of gas mileage as anything they have under the hood. Many are averaging over 20 mpgs with it. You also have the guys that think the truck is for racing and don't do as well but the engines are holding up just fine. Transmissions are another issue though for those with a heavy foot. I don't think this engine will be available in 2016 though- my guessing at work here. Ford is playing with direct injection and EcoBoosting the 5.0. Just adding direct injection to the design is going to bring a lot of power and better fuel management. The 6.2 will not be needed any longer. I think Ford is making a huge mistake due to the fact that they are putting all of their eggs in one EcoBoost basket. If you buy a Ford, you'll be buying into EcoBoost as that's all they'll have. I think it's a huge mistake. GM has incredibly simple engines that are direct injected making more power, using less fuel than the EB. Cost of ownership will be much lower..... for the engine anyway. It's the rest of the GM product that sucks that might make it as expensive to own. Hard to say considering GM, Ford, and Toyota are building most of their cars in concert these days. There's a lot of shared technologies these days in the engines, transmissions, etc.

FWIW, my opinion which is mine, the best V8 engine to sit in an F150 is the 4.6 2 valve. The best 6 cylinder would be the 300 inline. The 4.6 would have been far more economical and desirable had they put a 6 speed auto behind it. Probably would have boosted the MPGs as well. Considering todays emissions controls, the 300 could have been cleaned up with direct injection and could have been one of the best engines of all times. UPS uses this same engine in their diesel configurations- that's how strong this architecture is. Ford made a mistake at dropping any development on this engine. I'm a believer in KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid. Ford apparently doesn't agree.
10-4, and I certainly agree with the statement in bold above! ^^

As always, I appreciate the info and feedback.

However, from my limited experience with the new GM V8, it felt quite "doggish" in comparison to my lowly 5.0. I got a 2014 Silverado (2WD) as a rental while having my truck serviced, and it felt sluggish, clumsy, and unresponsive....like it woon't pries a greasy strang outta a cat's ayss! Of course, it was a rental so I'm not sure which gear setup was in it, etc.

For the few days I drove it, it did get good gas mileage, though.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB
I got a 2014 Silverado (2WD) as a rental while having my truck serviced, and it felt sluggish, clumsy, and unresponsive....like it woon't pries a greasy strang outta a cat's ayss! Of course, it was a rental so I'm not sure which gear setup was in it, etc.

For the few days I drove it, it did get good gas mileage, though.
What kinda service did ya have done for it to take a couple days?

To bad they didnt give ya a ecobeast, then you would've seen how a real truck was suppose to drive.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 01-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the post. The Ecoboost is starting to appeal to me. I'm starting to think I may go with it if I decide to trade my 5.4 in a few months. Right now I'm leaning heavier toward the 6.2 though.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC
Thanks for the post. The Ecoboost is starting to appeal to me. I'm starting to think I may go with it if I decide to trade my 5.4 in a few months. Right now I'm leaning heavier toward the 6.2 though.
^^^ Yep. Sounds like it's soon to be a collector's item too....

MGD

Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
What kinda service did ya have done for it to take a couple days?

To bad they didnt give ya a ecobeast, then you would've seen how a real truck was suppose to drive.

Jeez, Coy... You're WORSE than the 5.0 fan boys you claim to despise.

Slip yoke service. Believe it or not, this issue ain't specific to only the 5.0.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB
Jeez, Coy... You're WORSE than the 5.0 fan boys you claim to despise.

Slip yoke service. Believe it or not, this issue ain't specific to only the 5.0.
Calm down, you know im just having fun with ya.

Mine will be going in too for the slip yoke.. Hopefully they dont want to keep it for more than the day.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 01-02-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM
I have a 2012 5.0 and love it. No motor noise at all, so I would say there was an issue for sure. My brother and uncle also have the 5.0 and neither of them have any motor noise either. I love the 5.0 and if I were trading I would opt for the 6.2 any day, but I will have to be trading my wife`s fusion for the explorer sport with the 3.5 eco first before I trade trucks again.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Well I finally got the truck back and all seems well, my personal issue has to do with the dealer more than the engine problem, I just hope this is the only issue I have with it.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 AM
I got my truck back the week before Christmas. They had it for 3 weeks diagnosing it, then decided to put in a new long block, and it took 2 more weeks. 5 weeks total and one new engine later, everything seemed good when I got back. UNTIL the other day. Rough idle came back! Guess I need to take it back to have them check it again.

Quick Reply: Problems with my 2013 F150