2009 - 2014 F-150

Trying to vent frustration with dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Trying to vent frustration with dealers

A while back i had posted (or replied to, cant remember) a post about the passenger door speaker cutting out. Many had said that it was the wiring harness in the door, not the speaker. I had told the dealer that and asked if there was a TSB on it and he said no. He was confident that the speaker was the issue. Just a few months later and the problem is worse. Called him yesterday to set a new appointment and he said, "you know, since we did that we have a TSB out about a wiring harness or a connector causing the problem..." Well i think i said that when i went in the first time. He said to bring it back in and they would investigate it. Which means take the door panel off, order a part, then i have to go back again. If they fix it while im there i would be surprised. I am taking the opportunity to have them locate an oil leak that is up high on the motor as well to try and kill two birds with one stone hopefully. They keep asking if i can leave it. If i can get a loaner, then, yes. But they dont have loaners. So they want me to drive 30 mins and someone pick me up, then someone take me back, then have to go back when they order parts, go through the process again (unless its a simple 10 min fix). Why dont dealers just take into account the research people do and try to fix the problem right the first time? We dont have any Ford dealers in our town. This is the closest. The next closest one from them is another 15 mins away. I understand being in business you can't cater to every need of a customer, but why do we pay $40k-$50k for a vehicle and have to take off of work and sit with it (no loaner) just for a warranty issue? This is not my first time being there, so dont get me wrong. They couldnt find the annoying squeaking sound that i thought was in the headliner. I had to find that myself. A tech rode with me and he was listening for it. Every time i would hit a bump, the squeaking would happen. I would say, "There it is........There it is again......." He said, "I dont hear anything" Makes my blood boil. Turned out to be the rubber around the back glass rubbing against the truck body. Sounded like it was in the headliner though. Quick squirt of WD and all has been good.

I will post back after my appointment to update how all goes. I just needed a place to vent. Thanks

Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 PM
WFO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the dealer thats farther away have loaners. Might be worth it to check with them.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My experience with dealership service departments has been that if the diagnostics/repair/etc. were to take more than (say) an hour ... You get a loaner no excuses, UNLESS to opt to wait. ESPECIALLY if it's warranty related.

I've even had them provide cab service back to home/office/etc. as well as return after.

Find another dealership.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And when you are asking why a vehicle is so much more expensive at one dealer than another, consider the fact that the loaner is a fairly costly piece of overhead.

You reap what you sow.

Personally, I can't understand someone who says they have more than one vehicle complaining about not having their truck for (shudder) a whole day. #firstworldproblems
#getoveryourself

Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The dealership here does not have loaners, but they will drop you off and pick you up in the local area and/or get you a deal on a rental.

If you expect to get a loaner when you drop your vehicle off for service, you need to buy an extended warranty that covers that. Any dealer that gives out free loaners/rentals is going to cover those costs somehow.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My local dealership gives you a ride to and from, or a loaner depending if they have any at the time.. Last time during my oil change the gave me a loaner cause it was going to take atleast 3 hours.. Guess it just depends on the dealership..

Also i get alot better service now than before when i hadnt bought from them.. Guess actually buying the vehicle from them helps alot

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Regarding loaners - not having any, dealer expense, etc., etc., etc..

WHAT! Your dealerships don't have used vehicles? Some that have sat on the lot for months.

Shoot-fire I've had dealerships give me use of a used vehicle that I was interested in buying (and eventually did), for an entire week. *Called it a "test drive".

And on-the-lot-used-vehicles have also been provided when warranty work was going to be a couple/three days.

These dealerships aren't high-brow, nor expensive ... It's called - Customer Service. And it creates loyal, repeat customers.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It's also called - insurance liability.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer has loaners... They are base line festivas, but get you from A to B. They generally only pull them out to cover lost time due to their mistakes, and not for regular maintenance, or general warranty work. They do employ a full time shuttle driver to offer you a ride to and from your destination, within reason, or to the nearest transit train station if you are headed downtown or some other far away land.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by OnBelay
And when you are asking why a vehicle is so much more expensive at one dealer than another, consider the fact that the loaner is a fairly costly piece of overhead.

You reap what you sow.

Personally, I can't understand someone who says they have more than one vehicle complaining about not having their truck for (shudder) a whole day. #firstworldproblems
#getoveryourself
and this comment right here is the reason why "Are we forum dead" post is still active. You have completely missed the point here. Its the aggravation that you have to keep going back for a repeat issue when you tell them the problem the first time. When you have to ask for someone to come and pick you up just to take you back the same day, and then have to go back for the fix...... that's a problem. we lost out local dealer during the downsizing that many of the manufacturers went through. It was really close to us. EVERYTIME we had something go in, we had a loaner. No excuses. No matter how old the vehicle was. Heck, one time I even got an Explorer to take a weekend trip with and called it a test drive.

And heaven forbid I compliment another brand here, but when I had my Dodge Dakota many years ago, the Dodge dealership did the same thing. One time, the finance manager even gave me his personal vehicle to drive for a day or two. Of course it wasn't really his, but still the one he drove everyday.

And my MANY vehicles????? Lets see. My wife has to drive one........ My 93 is nothing more than a beat up piece of junk with no AC.....So pay $40k and revert back to a piece of junk to drive....ok.......and my Mustang hasn't been driven in about 10 years..........I would have to do so much to get it road worthy its not even funny.... So telling someone to get over themselves is not a helpful response. Leaving my truck and doing without it for a day is not the problem. Its the customer service issue I am having. Looking for another service dept is definitely in the books. Others still have loaners. My brother bought a USED Toyota Tacoma last year and had to go back for a service issue. Guess what? He got a loaner for the day...... And I don't think buying an extended warranty/service agreement should be required when you bought the vehicle from this dealer, it is only 2 years old and has less than 20k miles. Excuse me for having the slightest request for customer service. Dealers are still making a killing on these things even after all these rebates and incentives that are out there. They make you think you are getting it for dealer invoice but that is for the suckers to lick on. Businesses cant stay open selling for what they pay. Especially a nice dealership like this one is.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Regarding loaners - not having any, dealer expense, etc., etc., etc..

WHAT! Your dealerships don't have used vehicles? Some that have sat on the lot for months.

Shoot-fire I've had dealerships give me use of a used vehicle that I was interested in buying (and eventually did), for an entire week. *Called it a "test drive".

And on-the-lot-used-vehicles have also been provided when warranty work was going to be a couple/three days.

These dealerships aren't high-brow, nor expensive ... It's called - Customer Service. And it creates loyal, repeat customers.
My feelings exactly!

Old 09-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 67Shelby
and this comment right here is the reason why "Are we forum dead" post is still active. You have completely missed the point here.
Try calling your dealer a "Stealership" and see what Mr #getoveryourself has to say. Ignore him, he's an _______.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OnBelay must have never used his truck for work--even if you have multiple trucks, sometimes one is a lesser/classic truck that isn't properly equipped for that job or one you don't want to beat up. Also, we here tend to like what we drive, this it is frustrating to be without, even for a day.

Guess some people don't understand that concept. *shrugs*

Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by DSGSTX81
OnBelay must have never used his truck for work--even if you have multiple trucks, sometimes one is a lesser/classic truck that isn't properly equipped for that job or one you don't want to beat up. Also, we here tend to like what we drive, this it is frustrating to be without, even for a day.

Guess some people don't understand that concept. *shrugs*
And this is a point i forgot to mention. I cant exactly represent my company the best in a scratched up 93 model XL truck.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:37 AM
UPDATE* Just got back from the dealer on these issues. My first prediction was right. They didnt have any parts for the door speaker problem even though there was a TSB on it. What? I tell them the issue and they know there is a TSB on it for an updated harness and you dont order one in? I made the appointment last week. There should have been plenty of time to order one of those.

On the other hand, they did find the oil "seepage" issue i found while changing the oil. They said a seal on the front cover is leaking and they have to replace that and maybe even oil pan gasket. And get this. They are arranging a rental to drive for the 1-2 days they will have it. He said that is not normal but considering the circumstances........At least that is a positive but i dont want my door panel taken off any more than it has to be. If that was the only thing i went after then i would have been a little peeved. It took me an hour to get there this morning having to deal with rush hour traffic. I thought i was going to be late but got there right at 8:00. 2 1/2 hours later they had diagnosed everything and sent me on my way. So now, a new appointment set for next week to leave it for a day or two and the silver lining on the cloud is that i at least (finally) get something to drive for a change. This will be my 3rd trip to the dealer for the same issue. And the kicker part is, is that i questioned the diagnosis last time. He said, Oh yea we checked everything out and its the speaker. If he wasnt such a nice guy and pleasant to talk to I probably would be getting a little more angry. But i have to realize this is not a major issue, just a thorn in the side that shouldnt be there.

Quick Reply: Trying to vent frustration with dealers