Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My truck keeps going into Limp Home Mode - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi tstalontsi,

How many miles do you have on your truck?

Ashley
My truck has about 91k, however I've own the truck since it had about 61k and the problem has always been present during the colder months.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tstalontsi
My truck has about 91k, however I've own the truck since it had about 61k and the problem has always been present during the colder months.

Thanks!
Let me see how I can help, tstalontsi. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, and the name of the dealer you had take a look.

Ashley

Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Let me see how I can help, tstalontsi. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, and the name of the dealer you had take a look.

Ashley
Sent. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Any resolution, I am also experiencing a LMH and code U0101 loss of connection with TCM. 09 Screw 4x4 200,000KM roughly 120,000 miles. After clearing the codes, all seems well for about a week then U0101.
New battery Oct 2014, at 188,000km roughly 2 months ago. First LMH Oct 2014, at 189,000 right after bulk head connector replaced. Mechanic reseated connector. Next one last week Jan 2015 (Mechanic could not find anything) and now one this week (didn't take to mechanic).

Old 02-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Signing in. My '09 SCrew 5.4L has had a U0073 twice now in the last month. Both times, it seems like it's searching for gears. Only have about 40k miles on the truck.

The O'Reilly database suggested replacing the "right wheel speed sensor." Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I have my doubts about taking it in for service since it's so difficult to reproduce. Yet, when it happens, my truck is basically not driveable.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:51 AM
I have a 2010 that keeps going into LHM. The computer showed the TPS/Peddle position error. I have replaced the throttle body and TPS and the peddle position sensor and the truck is still going into LHM. It might drive fine for a couple days our it might go in LHP 5 times in 2 miles. Any ideas anyone?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Same

Originally Posted by TriciaJ2
I have a 2010 that keeps going into LHM. The computer showed the TPS/Peddle position error. I have replaced the throttle body and TPS and the peddle position sensor and the truck is still going into LHM. It might drive fine for a couple days our it might go in LHP 5 times in 2 miles. Any ideas anyone?
I literally have the same problem...replaced throttle body, abs sensor, and tps...drove good for about 800 miles...then back to limp mode... i was wondering if you ever got your problem resolved?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:41 PM
MAF Sensor

Originally Posted by F150kingranchb
I literally have the same problem...replaced throttle body, abs sensor, and tps...drove good for about 800 miles...then back to limp mode... i was wondering if you ever got your problem resolved?
Try cleaning your Mass Airflow Sensor. It’s right by your air filter, on the air intake duct. Very simple to do. Two screws, and use MAF sensor cleaner only. Do you have a K&N filter? I do, and I sprayed way too much oil on it, and it messed my Sensor up. Wrench/LHM etc, until I cleaned it.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 PM
Not MAF Sensor.... found my intermittent problem.

Originally Posted by DDD3_24

Try cleaning your Mass Airflow Sensor. It’s right by your air filter, on the air intake duct. Very simple to do. Two screws, and use MAF sensor cleaner only. Do you have a K&N filter? I do, and I sprayed way too much oil on it, and it messed my Sensor up. Wrench/LHM etc, until I cleaned it.
It came back, and always very intermittent. I only had U0073... not communicating. Didn’t have any other codes. I had my ODB II connected, and kept clearing code on the fly. I realized it’s a loose connection or intermittent short in the signaling. I checked all connectors, underneath the truck, and in the engine area. Looked for shorted wired to metal. Nothing underneath. So I looked at wire harnesses that were laying on some type of metal. Close to ECM, there was a wire harness laying on AC return line, which gets hot while AC is on. I lifted to see underneath and it was melted and a couple of wires were arcing on the return line. I fixed the issue, and rerouted the harness, and cut a piece of heater hose, and placed it on the return line. Finally!!!!! No more crazy dash lights, LHM. I’m wondering if Ford had an issue with the routing of this harness laying on the AC return line. I hope this helps you guys. I had taken it to Ford, and could find nothing... lol let me know if it helps with your crazy lights and LHM issue.

Last edited by DDD3_24; 11-10-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Good afternoon,
Could you share a photo of the wire you had issues with?? I have similar issue on my Expedition truck.
Thanks!!

Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM
Find your AC return line....

Just find your AC return line and follow it back towards the firewall, and see where the wiring harness touches it. I’m sure it’s not the same as my 2010 F150.
What codes are you getting ?

Originally Posted by Mel Ford Owner
Good afternoon,
Could you share a photo of the wire you had issues with?? I have similar issue on my Expedition truck.
Thanks!!

Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Just find your AC return line and follow it back towards the firewall, and see where the wiring harness touches it. I’m sure it’s not the same as my 2010 F150.
What codes are you getting ?

Thank you for the quick reply.
Mine throws multiple codes with the following U0100 Lost communication with TCM and U0101 lost communication with ECM/PCM "A'. My issue is in winter only, after i run my truck for some 15-20 mins. It goes on limp mode (stuck on 1st gear), and i get multiple warning lights : wrench, traction control, fuel gage low, check rear park brake, speedometer doesn't read speed. But if i shut off engine for 15-20 mins, it will go back to normal shifting except ECL illuminates. Very frustrated with it!!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:04 PM
I was very frustrated as well. Does it operate ok when it warms up? It sounds like

It’s something similar to mine. Check the connector at the TCM, and then check the wiring for melted plastic flex line, or just rubbed wiring that is shorting to ground. Mine had melted and you couldn’t see it, but when I lifted off of the AC return line I saw where it had melted, and a couple of wires were barely making contact with the return line. Sound like your 5 volt signaling like mine was. It was so intermittent it was driving me crazy. Ford couldn’t fix it lol. You have to go check your wiring. It’s as simple as that. Start with the section that goes to the TCM. Check the connector as well. Make sure it’s making good contact.
Originally Posted by Mel Ford Owner
Thank you for the quick reply.
Mine throws multiple codes with the following U0100 Lost communication with TCM and U0101 lost communication with ECM/PCM "A'. My issue is in winter only, after i run my truck for some 15-20 mins. It goes on limp mode (stuck on 1st gear), and i get multiple warning lights : wrench, traction control, fuel gage low, check rear park brake, speedometer doesn't read speed. But if i shut off engine for 15-20 mins, it will go back to normal shifting except ECL illuminates. Very frustrated with it!!

Last edited by DDD3_24; 01-25-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Resolved:
the issue was with TCM plug that plugs to transmission TCM, it was leaking oil on the plug o ring, not the sleeve. I installed new o ring and all is good now.

It’s something similar to mine. Check the connector at the TCM, and then check the wiring for melted plastic flex line, or just rubbed wiring that is shorting to ground. Mine had melted and you couldn’t see it, but when I lifted off of the AC return line I saw where it had melted, and a couple of wires were barely making contact with the return line. Sound like your 5 volt signaling like mine was. It was so intermittent it was driving me crazy. Ford couldn’t fix it lol. You have to go check your wiring. It’s as simple as that. Start with the section that goes to the TCM. Check the connector as well. Make sure it’s making good contact.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:59 AM
U0073 For F150

Did you finally find the issue with the truck?

Quick Reply: My truck keeps going into Limp Home Mode - Help Needed