F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Hill Descent Control Fault HELP!! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/486987-hill-descent-control-fault-help.html)

Lpd531 05-25-2013 06:20 PM

Hill Descent Control Fault HELP!!

2013 XLT 5.0 Crew. 130 Miles on the OD

I am getting the Hill Descent Control Fault pop up on the dash. It seems to happen when it rains. When I shut the truck off. it goes away but comes back on usually when i drive again.

brought to dealer. they ran a check on the diagnostics and found a fault. cleared it was good for a few days now its back. Anyone have any info on this. Raptors seem to have the issue but I cant find anything with an XLT. Any info I could give to the dealer would be great.

Lpd531 05-26-2013 08:23 PM

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...01/photo-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...ng01/photo.jpg

Notice the Mileage. Starting to get angry, cant wait til tuesday to call the dealership

mikeyss 05-27-2013 12:08 PM

Maybe you should try another dealership. I work for a GM dealership, and I can tell you for certain that there is no reason they just 'clear' a code. There normally is a repair made, or at least a reprogramming of the affected module(s). I don't think your original concern was addressed properly.

High-ster 05-27-2013 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mikeyss (Post 4989871)
Maybe you should try another dealership. I work for a GM dealership, and I can tell you for certain that there is no reason they just 'clear' a code. There normally is a repair made, or at least a reprogramming of the affected module(s). I don't think your original concern was addressed properly.

Don't know about the FoMoCo's practices, but Harley Davidson's 'techs' do it all the time.

They clear the thrown code to see if it faults again. If not, "You are good to go"!!

Usually the code reappears when you are out of their sight. "Out of sight, out of mind".

A certain number of ignition cycles clears all codes on Harley's, too.

Nobody has any mechanical ability anymore with the introduction of 'on-board computers'.

Slatts314 06-09-2013 02:45 PM

My guess would be that another module is not providing the necessary signals that HDC uses which is causing it to fault out. Unfortunately it is not a problem that can be addressed by yourself. It will be something the dealer has to do. Whether it be replace a bad module or flash new software in whichever module is giving you the issue.

mkosu04 06-10-2013 12:24 PM

take it to the dealer and ask for the specifics on the fault.

There has to be a bad component or a bad wire. It might be the sensor that checks the trucks angle. I think all the other controls are built into the esp/abs module

Lpd531 06-13-2013 09:03 PM

Brought it back to the dealer. They replaced the brake switch. So far so good!!!

XLT-F150 05-03-2014 10:35 PM

Hill descent

I also have a 2013 XLT 5.0 Crew. Started happening an my truck at 15,000 miles. I am getting the same dash displays. Anybody having any luck getting this problem resolved? I am headed back to the dealership for the second time next week.

Lpd531 05-05-2014 07:06 AM

They ended up changing my brake switch. It was defective. It hasn't happened since. That was 6000 miles ago.

FordService 05-07-2014 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by XLT-F150 (Post 5083462)
I also have a 2013 XLT 5.0 Crew. Started happening an my truck at 15,000 miles. I am getting the same dash displays. Anybody having any luck getting this problem resolved? I am headed back to the dealership for the second time next week.

XLT-F150,

I'm happy to lend a hand. Just send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

kdtaylor 06-30-2014 10:26 AM

Hill Descent control issues as well

I've been getting this problem intermittently since November. I start my truck, it runs REALLY rough, and either shows the wrench icon, or says 'hill descent control fault." The truck either dies, or I turn it off. When I turn it back on, no problem. Have run the vehicle health report many times, it always say "service required." I take it to the shop, sometimes they can get it to repeat the message, sometimes they can't. When they have gotten it, they tried replacing the throttle body. Hasn't fixed it yet. Dropping it off today so they can try and figure it out while I'm out of town for 3 weeks. VERY frustrated to pay $50k for a truck that has this annoying, albeit transient problem. Has anyone gotten a definitive fix for this?

My truck is a 2013 F150 FX4,

05RedFX4 06-30-2014 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by kdtaylor (Post 5094055)
I've been getting this problem intermittently since November. I start my truck, it runs REALLY rough, and either shows the wrench icon, or says 'hill descent control fault." The truck either dies, or I turn it off. When I turn it back on, no problem. Have run the vehicle health report many times, it always say "service required." I take it to the shop, sometimes they can get it to repeat the message, sometimes they can't. When they have gotten it, they tried replacing the throttle body. Hasn't fixed it yet. Dropping it off today so they can try and figure it out while I'm out of town for 3 weeks. VERY frustrated to pay $50k for a truck that has this annoying, albeit transient problem. Has anyone gotten a definitive fix for this?

My truck is a 2013 F150 FX4, vin XXXXXXXXXXX

never post your complete vin# on the web. You never know who might read it.

NANUK 04-09-2015 06:39 PM

2014 ford f150 hill descent control fault

I have a 2014 f150 xlt with 7000 miles and I keep getting a message every now and then that says Hill Descent Control Fault and Service Advance Trac. it only happens when in traffic. Once I restart the car it goes off. Hope it is the brake switch. If somebody finds anything else it will be appreciated.

FordService 04-10-2015 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by NANUK (Post 5144266)
I have a 2014 f150 xlt with 7000 miles and I keep getting a message every now and then that says Hill Descent Control Fault and Service Advance Trac. it only happens when in traffic. Once I restart the car it goes off. Hope it is the brake switch. If somebody finds anything else it will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, NANUK! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Have you brought your truck to the dealership so they can check this out? If you'd like, I'll get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager. Just PM me your details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership - leave the rest to me. :)

Crystal

vykngfan 05-14-2015 02:04 PM

I have a 2013 F150 with this issue also. Took it to my dealer and they told me it was related to sensor in the steering gear. No way to replace the sensor without replacing the gear. Quoted $2200.00 for new gear. I can buy one for about $900 and install it myself but afraid to spend that $ when it could be something as simple as the brake switch. Maybe a second opinion is in order.