2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wouldn't it be great if............

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if............

........the headlight stalk could also adjust your headlights downward a notch.

I know there are non-Ford vehicles out there that allow you to click the stalk to aim the headlights lower than normal which is very useful when towing a boat or carrying a heavy load in the bed at night.

I don't want to use airbags to keep the rear from dropping.........my truck actually rides level with a load. I'd rather just click the stalk and lower the beams to make the adjustment. I tow my boat very early in the morning when it is still dark and to keep from blinding oncoming drivers, I have the headlights adjusted lower than what's called for in the manual. Of course this results in the headlights not shining out far enough to my liking when not towing.

Sure would be nice if Ford could design their future models to have this feature.

Has anyone customized their headlights to easily make them aim downward a notch while driving?

Last edited by Jimsea; 05-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you tow that much, maybe consider an add a leaf. It would help with the droop resistance.

Not the ideal solution for your question, but it would help your specific case.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
A weight distribution hitch would help with sag when towing.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
That will probably be Ford's next step in upgraded lighting. Both my BMW 535i and Porsche have the self aiming headlights...very happy Ford finally introduced the HID's on the F-150 at this point...

Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
That will probably be Ford's next step in upgraded lighting. Both my BMW 535i and Porsche have the self aiming headlights...very happy Ford finally introduced the HID's on the F-150 at this point...
My nephew has a feature that is stock on his WRX that allows him to drop the headlights lower and that's what got me thinking it would be a great feature to have in an F150.

Anyways......thanks for the replies.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why don't you just turn your headlights off on the boat ramp? It is a common courtesy to switch off the headlights but leave the marker lights on while you're loading/unloading a boat.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Also factory lights are aimed low, especially on trucks. As long as you're not squatting past level the headlights arent going to be up too high....

Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Why don't you just turn your headlights off on the boat ramp? It is a common courtesy to switch off the headlights but leave the marker lights on while you're loading/unloading a boat.
I'm not talking about AT the ramp, I'm talking about driving to and from the ramp on the public roadways. People get pissed when those HIDs from my FX2 bounce off their retinas.

But as I said earlier, she rides level with a load so IMO no adjustments to the hitch or suspension are warranted.

Per the instructions in the manual, I have adjusted the headlights about 3 inches lower than what is called for which helps with the towing (without blinding others) but is less than desirable visibility-wise when driving at night without a load.

It would be nice to have 3 positions on the stalk........."lower" than normal, normal, and high beam. Just sayin.

Quick Reply: Wouldn't it be great if............