2009 - 2014 F-150

BREAKING NEWS: Ford – F150 EcoBoost Shudder Fix Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
There multiple issues. You may have an issue the new parts are not meant to correct. This whole thing got started because of 5.0 owners experiencing the shuttering so it's not EB specific.

There is a slight shudder at steady speeds that many have solved by the reflash and checking their plug gaps, and then there is a complete loss of power/shake which the new parts were supposed to have corrected.

Which problem do you have?
I had the complete shudder which led to limp mode. It felt like i was driving with a flat tire. I was able to pull over and turn the truck off. Once restarted the check engine light went off and it ran fine.

From everything I've read and spoke to the dealer about it is exactly the same as the charged air cooler " working too well".

Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
There multiple issues. You may have an issue the new parts are not meant to correct. This whole thing got started because of 5.0 owners experiencing the shuttering so it's not EB specific.

There is a slight shudder at steady speeds that many have solved by the reflash and checking their plug gaps, and then there is a complete loss of power/shake which the new parts were supposed to have corrected.

Which problem do you have?
I had the complete shudder which led to limp mode. It felt like i was driving with a flat tire. I was able to pull over and turn the truck off. Once restarted the check engine light went off and it ran fine.

From everything I've read and spoke to the dealer about it is exactly the same as the charged air cooler " working too well".

What I'm worried about is that it is supposed to be worse when towing. Come this summer I will be towing a single axle trailer with 2 quads on it. I paid extra for the trailer tow option and just feel like I should of been notified of this problem before purchasing.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Question hmm

I just bought my brand new 2013 f150 fx4 ecoboost 2 days ago. It was a 2 hour drive to the dealership to pick it up I got one of those internet price deals threw the ford dealership. My experience at planet ford in spring was quite nice i was treated with respect the buying experience was simple and fast. I drove 2 hours home. my truck was born on 12/12/12 according to the sticker and was from Kansas city. It had 18 miles when i drove it off the lot. 10 mins away from home I put my foot down on the gas coming on a on ramp and i experienced a weird noise nothing shut down. nothing shuttered. nothing shook nothing out of the ordinary but the sound. as if something clicked my skid plate and the acceleration wasn't there but it was no exaggeration only for just 1 sec i didn't think anything of it until i started poking around on the forum i signed up for when i got my 5.4l fx2 hmm is this the problem people are talking about? other then that... Everytime i hear the turbo wistle i have a full blown ejaculation moment in boxers its smooth it rides wonderful i love the throttle response time it is everything i wanted in a new truck man just thinking about it.. gets me going. im staring threw the glass at it right now at work i cant wait to get into the driver seat in a hour in a half... sorry i got off track point is , is this something to be concerned about? i know the engine hasnt been broken yet it was at maybe mile 120 of its lifetime and i kinda floor'd it maybe not so good idea?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM
2011 5.0

Originally Posted by nascar99ford
So has anyone heard anything about some of the 5.0's that are experiencing somewhat of the same issues?
Mine is having the shuddering.

Let me put it all on here - I bought this truck just a few months ago in February 2013 after selling my 2001 F150.

This is a 5.0, 2011, 4x4, 6.5 bed and at 86,000 miles.

It shudders on take off for about up to 20 mph but it varies. I am Deaf so I can completely feel anything that is "off" in any vehicle I ride in. Even my Deaf friend felt the same shuddering. It is driving me crazy.

Took it to the shop twice - they cannot find anything. There was a couple of system updates on the computer but that did not fix the shuddering (but it gave me an additional 1.5 mpg due to the previous driver operating the brake and gas at the same time - the computer will allow the brake to override the gas pedal which is why I was getting a little lower mpg than I should). Had the transmission fluid replaced - still shuddering.

I just took it to another dealer across town. They cannot find anything. The computer is not showing anything "out of whack". To me - this is just like completing a physical at the doctor's only to fall to the ground a week later. Just because the dadgum computer is not registering a problem does not mean there is not one.

Even pulled my 3,000 lb camper and it shuddered. Pulled my trailer with mulch on it (2,500 lbs) - still shuddered.

The shuddering should NOT be there for ANY vehicle - period.

At times, when I start the truck - the engine runs rough for a few minutes.

Sometimes when I start the truck, cold air comes out of the vents but the a/c is not on. This lasts for about 5-10 minutes then it becomes warm as the outside air temperature.

I have ONLY used 87 octane - not yet tried the E85 but am not particularly rushing to get the E85.

I have had the transmission/differential make a "jerking movement" a couple of times but it is not consistent.

Any ideas on how to my next step? I like my F150/5.0 truck. I hope to keep it but I cannot if this shuddering keeps going on. If I am going to make payments of $385 a month - I expect a dang nice vehicle!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Have the plugs been changed? Has the dealer suggested changing them if they have not been? I would think it's time.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Mr. Tuity
Mine is having the shuddering.

Let me put it all on here - I bought this truck just a few months ago in February 2013 after selling my 2001 F150.

This is a 5.0, 2011, 4x4, 6.5 bed and at 86,000 miles.

It shudders on take off for about up to 20 mph but it varies. I am Deaf so I can completely feel anything that is "off" in any vehicle I ride in. Even my Deaf friend felt the same shuddering. It is driving me crazy.

Took it to the shop twice - they cannot find anything. There was a couple of system updates on the computer but that did not fix the shuddering (but it gave me an additional 1.5 mpg due to the previous driver operating the brake and gas at the same time - the computer will allow the brake to override the gas pedal which is why I was getting a little lower mpg than I should). Had the transmission fluid replaced - still shuddering.

I just took it to another dealer across town. They cannot find anything. The computer is not showing anything "out of whack". To me - this is just like completing a physical at the doctor's only to fall to the ground a week later. Just because the dadgum computer is not registering a problem does not mean there is not one.

Even pulled my 3,000 lb camper and it shuddered. Pulled my trailer with mulch on it (2,500 lbs) - still shuddered.

The shuddering should NOT be there for ANY vehicle - period.

At times, when I start the truck - the engine runs rough for a few minutes.

Sometimes when I start the truck, cold air comes out of the vents but the a/c is not on. This lasts for about 5-10 minutes then it becomes warm as the outside air temperature.

I have ONLY used 87 octane - not yet tried the E85 but am not particularly rushing to get the E85.

I have had the transmission/differential make a "jerking movement" a couple of times but it is not consistent.

Any ideas on how to my next step? I like my F150/5.0 truck. I hope to keep it but I cannot if this shuddering keeps going on. If I am going to make payments of $385 a month - I expect a dang nice vehicle!
There was an intermittent "shudder" with my truck - brand new. In the end (and after a couple tranny and engine reflashes), there was a TSB out for it that called for the slip yoke to be "serviced" (lubed). I can't recall the TSB number at the moment.

At any rate, this fixed the issue completely. Now, mine didn't do it very badly and it only acted up every now and then. However, since then it has never happened again.

Maybe this would help?

If not and whatever the case may be, I agree with BJ that it's time for the plugs to be changed if they haven't been already.

The cold air coming from the vents? I'm completely lost there.

I'm sorry you've had trouble with your truck, but I'm sure there's a fairly simple fix for it. What did the dealer say about the shudder? Could they feel it too?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Had slip yoke lubed recently - not solved the issue. Still trying to figure it out.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Have the plugs been changed? Has the dealer suggested changing them if they have not been? I would think it's time.
Just had the plugs changed 2 weeks ago. Not solve the issue. Still trying to figure it out.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Why did you hijack an Ecoboost thread to ask about problems with your 5.0?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Hmmm, seems Ecoboost is still having troubles then, eh? Even the '13s? I've been following them since they were announced, and would love to get an Ecoboost, but, hey, I'm a patient man. I'll wait a bit more, or even bail on F150! Don't know where to go, but Ford needs to get this shudder thingamabob fixed, on ALL F150s.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Was there ever a recall issued?

My husband just started experiencing this with his truck. After taking the truck to the dealership they told us it would be a few hundred dollars to fix this. Seems like if they have had litigation and lots of issues they would have issued a recall.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what to do or if there is a recall to refer to?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 PM
The shudder problem is not just an ecoboost problem. It may come from the transmission or the rear axle. The 6 speed auto transmission has known solenoid and software issues(as do the GM 6 speed autos, which are the same or substantially the same).
the rear bushing/bearing in the tailshaft fails due to splash oiling only, just like the 4R70W (J-Mod issue)
The rear axles may have have excessive clearance in the ring/pinion, or in the limited slip, excessive preload.
My brother just traded in his 2011 supercab 4x4 XLT 4.6 3-valve on a 2014 because Ford was unable to fix the problems. His buddy had a 2011 XLT crew 4x4 5.4 with many of the same problems, he traded in for an ecoboost. So far so good for both, but trading in at 35000 miles less than 3 years seems expen$ive fix for something that should have been right from the factory.

Last edited by Evil-Henchman; 10-17-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Also, if they are trotting out the slip yoke grease job, it fixes NOTHING. It is a stall tactic to get you out of warranty. This goes back to poor lubrication of the tailshaft and yoke which causes wear and excessive clearance in tailshaft and output shaft splines and the chunk will return as soon as all the grease dissolves into your transmission fluid

Old 06-16-2016, 10:15 AM
2011 ecoboost shudder fixed

I have a 2011 ecoboost fx4 and had the issue of misfiring and shuddering. It would do this if I accelerated passing someone on the freeway or highway. Would be doing 100-120km/h and go to accelerate to pass someone and would start shaking. I got the misfire #3 cylinder code up one time because i really stepped on it and the engine light starting blinking so I eased off right away (obviously lol) it was in limp mode for a few seconds then engine light stayed solid. Got it home np and plugged in the reader thus getting the misfire on 3. Reasearching and finding these forums I decided to go ahead and drill the 1/16 drain hole. I then took it back on the freeway but was having the same result. (when i drilled the hole i didnt have the truck running and didnt notice any leaking). When I got back i noticed a good amout of oilish watery whatever it was stuff that was sprayed out. I was like what the hell. Why didnt it work. So then I again kept reading these forums discussing this issue. I came across spark plug gap needing to or should be .30 I decided to check the gap on the plugs. Easy. Cheap. I found every plug to be gapped at .40 - .45. Had plugs changed at 108 000km and I have 115 000km now by way. I cant remember what the book says on 2011 spark plug gap but Im sure it was .36 or .38 maybe. Idk. But people are saying gap should be at .30 so that is what I did. I took it back on the freeway it is awesome!! Drove it for at least 40 minutes doing 100 and punching it. Back to normal. Feels great! So far lol. Great great feedback on these forums. They are saweet. Please post your finds! Hope this helps someone! Thanks

Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM
I have been driving my F150 for almost 5 years. I've experienced intermittent issues while driving the vehicle at various speeds between 10 and 60 mph...in the parking lot or on the freeway. I've taken it in to the Dealership at least 6 times to have it checked out and they always say that they can't find the issue and that to diagnose it they would need to be driving it and experience the issue or something would need to fail/break. The best way to describe what happens is that while driving around (in a parking lot or on a freeway) without warning, the truck feels like I was rear-ended and jerks forward with a loud noise...but remains in gear and drivable with no lingering effects or issues from whatever just happened. Anybody experience something similar and know how I can get it repaired?

Quick Reply: BREAKING NEWS: Ford – F150 EcoBoost Shudder Fix Confirmed