2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LED tail light bulbs causing rapid turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=BETCHER78;4794818]also if you plan on replacing evething to LED. rears and fronts. you could have some feedback from flasher to parking, i installed inline diodes in both the parking/stop and turn. on all 6 lights.

[QUOTE]

What circuit did you put the diode on? Was it on the power feed for the parking lights or for the turn signals?

I realize this is an older thread and apologize for resurrecting it.

Last edited by WHM-6R; 06-15-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=WHM-6R;5154044][QUOTE=BETCHER78;4794818]also if you plan on replacing evething to LED. rears and fronts. you could have some feedback from flasher to parking, i installed inline diodes in both the parking/stop and turn. on all 6 lights.

What circuit did you put the diode on? Was it on the power feed for the parking lights or for the turn signals?

I realize this is an older thread and apologize for resurrecting it.
Just replace the flasher unit and that's all you'd need to do. It'll cost about $12.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 PM
I put diodes inline with the flashers in the front of the tuck. I also put resistors from turn to ground on the other side of the diode, or the side with the line pointing to the plug.

I have a 2013 now. but principal is the same. and this truck is setup the same with LED.
I used the diodes to prevent backfeed when parking and or parking and lights were not on, there is so little resistance. you can get back feed from turns to partking and they will blink too- when using switchback bulbs. where they are white- when parking lights are on, and flash amber. and then go back white. normal LEDs will probably function the same way. where one lead is for parking, and one is for turn. there is a small resistor to dim the led for parking and bypass it for flasher.. that is where the backfeed occurs. diode takes care of that.
resistor will take care of hyperflash, and in my case with switch backs, the parking light would not turn on because the bulb still sensed enough voltage or no true ' ground' where it didn't change. PM me if you need a better explination , typing this just before I leave work. to try and beat the next storm.

the diodes were rated at 4 amp. radioshack had them or they can be ordered. voltage ratings on most of those are 25v -50v.. you will have some voltage drop across them but nothing to worry about.

2008_xl..
these newer trucks don't have a 'flasher' in a sense. everything is controlled in the SJB- or smart junction box. some have said there are a couple menus in the behavior section of the SJB that can be modified to control the flash rate.. ive never heard of anyone specifically telling anyone where that is at, and or would even want to mess with some stuff like that if they did find a setting like that.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BETCHER78
2008_xl..
these newer trucks don't have a 'flasher' in a sense. everything is controlled in the SJB- or smart junction box. some have said there are a couple menus in the behavior section of the SJB that can be modified to control the flash rate.. ive never heard of anyone specifically telling anyone where that is at, and or would even want to mess with some stuff like that if they did find a setting like that.
Ah, I figured they were the same as the previous generation since they do the rapid flash. Learned something new though. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turn bulb out warning off

I replaced all the exterior bulbs with LEDs on my 2014 Raptor and was experiencing hyperflash initially. I carried it to the dealer and they just went into the BCM and set the "BULB OUT WARNING" to OFF. No more hyperflash, and cutting into the wiring harness. If your dealer is unfamiliar with this there is a bulletin sent out by Ford to the body builders that use LED lights. It was for F250s but it works on F150s as well. The bulletin provides instructions for the dealer to use to change this setting. I don't remember the bulletin number but it didn't take a lot of searching to find it.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bulletin

The bulletin number is Q-158R3. Ford did not direct toward dealers but toward oftermarket body-builders that use led tail lights. It gives instruction on how someone with the correct software (your dealer) to turn the bulb out warning off. Here's a link to it so you can print it out and carry it with you to the dealer.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ml/Q-158R3.pdf

Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
In the old days, you just bought a "heavy duty" flasher that wasn't affected by the circuit resistance, for instance when you hooked up trailer lights into the same circuit.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by bradywayne75
The bulletin number is Q-158R3. Ford did not direct toward dealers but toward oftermarket body-builders that use led tail lights. It gives instruction on how someone with the correct software (your dealer) to turn the bulb out warning off. Here's a link to it so you can print it out and carry it with you to the dealer.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ml/Q-158R3.pdf
Thank you! I have been trying to hunt this down.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:08 PM
I have recently converted all exterior bulbs to LED light bulbs. I am having the same issue of hyperflashing. However, only the cab indicator is hyperflashing. The bulbs themselves are flashing normally on the exterior. Thank you for the information in this thread. I will be taking the document to the dealer and ask them to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: LED tail light bulbs causing rapid turn signal