2009 - 2014 F-150

Reliability: old vs new

Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliability: old vs new

Well the new powertrains have been out for a while now and just wanted to see how the new engines/drive trains are holding up compared to old setups after 25,000 miles or so. It's great having 50 more horsepower and a couple mpg, but at the end of the day it's worth nothing if your truck breaks down on the way to an important interview/ job. Interested in hearing from just people that have had both, and of course be honest.

ex: Old engine: 4.2v with 5 speed :
owned 60k miles : clutch, valve work -$1200

New engine: 3.7v with auto:
owned 25k miles : fuel injectors, altenator - $700

Warranties make prices kinda useless, but still gives an idea of what might need to be shelled out down the road for those that will buy used.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:09 AM
no problems here but I only have 8k miles. I think you will probably need another year or two to get descent data. As there are some with high miles at this point but on average I would guess the mileage for the bulk of the population is fairly low. I would expect any major engine issues till at least 40-50k.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Suspended
I'm only at ~19k miles w/ my 5.0, but power train wise not an issue.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah you might be right, but still hoping to find people with both old and new trucks. Basically want to see if these are in any way more or less reliable than the 97-08 generations.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Suspended
As a family we have had 11 f150's (10 in the 97-08 generation) and 1 expedition (98) in the past 10 years, and i can count all the issues on less than 1 hand out of them so i think chances are the new drive trains will be solid

1) rear end on 07. I'm pretty sure it was partially my fault with how i treated that truck.
2) COP's on my old 02, only became an issue after around 110k miles
3) trans due to crap custom tuning on my dads 08, so can't hold that against ford
4) few electrical items started dying out around 130k miles on my 02

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I had a 2000 & 2003 with 5.4L's. both were bullet proof until I owned them which was only 35k & 55 k miles. My 2008 f250 was diesel so it doesn't count and so far 7.5k on my 2011 with Zero complaints either. Only time will tell.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks - it's just hard to market solid reliability numbers. Its always HP and MPG. Wish 3rd parties would rate by average Miles per Repair (MPR) or (Dollars per Thousand Miles) . So far the new trucks are seem pretty good but just wish the industry had a solid measure of quality to ensure progress like they do with Horsepower and MPG.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Nihilus
Thanks - it's just hard to market solid reliability numbers. Its always HP and MPG. Wish 3rd parties would rate by average Miles per Repair (MPR) or (Dollars per Thousand Miles) . So far the new trucks are seem pretty good but just wish the industry had a solid measure of quality to ensure progress like they do with Horsepower and MPG.
how can you really do mpr tho?

that would require thousands of test vehicles with thousands and thousand of test miles. the consumers is the only reasonable way to do that which will take time.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
how can you really do mpr tho?

that would require thousands of test vehicles with thousands and thousand of test miles. the consumers is the only reasonable way to do that which will take time.
That, and there is to much gray area between whats "broke" and what is not.

If a transmission goes, and the truck rolls to a stop, obviously you have to fix it.

if control arm bushings begin to creak and the truck still drives down the road should they be replaced? probably. Will most people do it right off the bat? no.

same goes for shocks... at what point are they considered toast?

...or an oil leak. some would fix it and incur a shop bill, but many would toss in a quart from time to time and consider nothing wrong.

I agree that "MPR" would be a really nice shopping tool to have, but I don't think it is practical due to the variables involved.

Ill give you a really good example:
I had a neighbor growing up that drove Lincolns. He had them in the shop all the time... one issue that stands out in particular is the transmission shifting. If he was able to "feel" or detect the transmission shifting then he considered it broken and in need of repair. How many other people would do that? Most of us would think nothing of it as long as it shifted reasonably and ran through all the gears. Not him.

Last edited by SuperCruzin; 05-16-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by SuperCruzin
That, and there is to much gray area between whats "broke" and what is not.

If a transmission goes, and the truck rolls to a stop, obviously you have to fix it.

if control arm bushings begin to creak and the truck still drives down the road should they be replaced? probably. Will most people do it right off the bat? no.

same goes for shocks... at what point are they considered toast?

...or an oil leak. some would fix it and incur a shop bill, but many would toss in a quart from time to time and consider nothing wrong.

I agree that "MPR" would be a really nice shopping tool to have, but I don't think it is practical due to the variables involved.

Ill give you a really good example:
I had a neighbor growing up that drove Lincolns. He had them in the shop all the time... one issue that stands out in particular is the transmission shifting. If he was able to "feel" or detect the transmission shifting then he considered it broken and in need of repair. How many other people would do that? Most of us would think nothing of it as long as it shifted reasonably and ran through all the gears. Not him.
I agree and just because something broke does it mean its the vehicles fault or the drivers habits or the terrain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reliability: old vs new