2009 - 2014 F-150

Passive Anti-Theft System

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passive Anti-Theft System

I have a 2011 F150 S. Crew that's about 2 months old. Last night I locked the doors like I normally do (hit the lock button on the key fob once), I heard the doors lock and the lights flashed once. Around 2:30 in the morning I heard a horn sounding for about 20-30 secs. but I didn't think it was mine...This morning I go out to start my wifes car, and go over to the truck to see if the door was locked, I pull the handle and the door opens...It was not locked and the keys were inside the house in a key cabinet all night. There was a chirping that started inside the truck as soon as I opened the door and the message centre said I had 15 secs (or maybe 20 i forget) to start the truck. I didn't have the key with me so I hit the lock switch on the inside of the door and closed the door...then all heck broke loose, lights flashing, horn beeping, neighbors waking up. I went inside and hit the panic button on the key fob and it stopped. When I went back outside, the doors were locked and all appeared normal. I walked around the truck and all the doors were properly closed, all the windows were up, the locks and keypad were fine and the hood was closed ( I don't think the hood is attached to this passive theft system, but just thought I'd mention it). There is no factory or aftermarket alarm system installed. The window sticker just lists the Passive Anti-Theft System, like my previous 4 trucks and I've never had this happen. Anybody have any ideas what I should check? I looked in the manual and it doesn't say much about trouble shooting.

Thanks,

Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
The passive alarm is garbage. Get a REAL alarm if you need it. I highly recommend a VIPER 5901 system. Remote start etc. Search my older post on this.

Best 2-way alarm around.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
That's part of my problem, I don't need/want an alarm, and I didn't think this passive anti-theft system was supposed to act like an alarm. I thought it just killed power or fuel so it wouldn't start if I tried to gain entry without a key. I wasn't expecting all the stuff with the horn and lights...

Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I think what you're describing sounds like the factory perimeter alarm system. It becomes armed after about 30 sec. of locking all the doors. You can test it by manually unlocking the drivers door with the key(not the button on the key), and open the door. Then you will get the message and dinging telling you to start the truck. Deactivate it by starting the truck, or using the unlock button on the key. The perimeter alarm monitors all doors, and the hood. There is a pressure switch under the hood on the drivers side of the truck. Also when you lock the truck by pushing the lock button on the key twice. You will hear the horn honk once(all doors, and hood are closed). If hit honks twice, then a door or the hood may not be closed all the way.

Passive Anti Theft System (P.A.T.S.) is something different. P.A.T.S. will deny an engine start if it can't find a coded key for the vehicle.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't know if this has a damn thing to do with what you are talking about but there has been several times where my wife didn't close the door hard enough. I'm not sure if the lock proceedure completes if the door isn't closed all of the way.

I always look back at the truck to make sure everything looks the way it should. I can tell that the door isn't shut becasue the third brake/bed light stays on. I would guess it goes off after a while.

I'm going to have to check out my truck to see if there is any alarming activity with this passive thing.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys, I tested it when I got home, had to push the lock button on the key fob twice to engage this perimiter alarm thing, horned honked just like Pale Screw said it would. I waited about a minute inside the truck and then opened door and heard the chirping and saw the same message in the message centre. Is it standard? It's mentioned in the manual separately from the Securilock Passive Anti-theft system and it says "if equipped" beside it. I guess I'm equipped, but I didn't ask for it, and its not on my window window sticker.
So, the thing is, when I locked it last night I only pressed the button once, the horn didn't sound, only the lights flashed. And I can't figure out then why the door was actually unlocked when I went out this morning, unless someone actually gained entry to my vehicle with a key or some other way. I checked all the doors and the hood again tonight and they're all fully closed...and I don't see any finger prints in the dirt to indicate someone was monkeying around with it.
Oh well...we'll see if it happens again. I guess Sopher has a point...maybe it has a mind of it's own....I know my Sync system certainly does!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I have a Screw with the XLT Convenience, Chrome, and Plus Pkgs. I have the perimeter alarm, and it's not listed on my window sticker either. It may be a standard thing on the Screw, or it came with the Convenience & Plus Pkgs.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM
The alarm is standard on all F150's above the base XLT models per the sales guy I spoke to when buying my FX4. It's a basic alarm that will go off if anyone opens the doors when it's set but not much else. It is not, however, listed anywhere I could find in any of the literature when I was looking at F150's which is why I asked. Sounds like you got it in yours.

They do list the PATS system which is simply a chip in the key that acts like an electronic key in addition to he cut key to start the vehicle. In theory it's impossible to start the vehicle without the chip, which in turn makes it theoretically impossible to hotwire the truck. (I say theoretically because I'll bet if someone really wanted to they could find a way... but not the average kid on the street looking to boost a truck for parts.)

Between the two of them for most people that's enough protection to prevent anyone from stealing the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passive Anti-Theft System