2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horn goes off when boosting

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn goes off when boosting

My buddy's '08 King Ranch has been sitting for a while so I went by to see how it was and to start it up. Got there and the battery was deader then a door nail. No problem I figured, brought my '10 over and was going to boost it.

Set up the cables and when I hooked up the final jumper cable the horn honked. Scared the bejeezus outta me, wasnt expecting that! HAHA Anyhow, tried again, same thing. Damn thing kept honking at me and I had no idea how to prevent it form happening.

Let me just clarify that it was his horn that honk. By that I mean that it didnt just chirp once and stop, it started and stayed on until I detached the booster able.

Ive never heard or experienced this before. Anyone have any ideas what is going on or how to prevent it??

Thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Were the lights flashing? The first thing that comes to my mind would be the anti-theft alarm. But then again I've never had a vehicle do that while jumping it.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
i drive a tow truck ive had a couple do that cant remember what vehicles but yeah it scares the crap outta ya did you just leave the cables hooked up and try to start it or just get scared with the honkin

it is the anti theft device or somethin prob is a way to disable it but an easier way is to put a battery tender on it if its gonna sit for long periods

Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Nope, no flashing lights. If I recall correctly the antitheft hornka like and alarm ie. on and off. This was just a steady honking.
Thought to try and start while hooked up with horn on but I was by myself in an underground parking. Needless to say it was pretty darn loud and his truck was parked in an awkward position.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Probably the anti-theft. You woke it up when charging the battery and the last thing it remembers was being parked with locked doors. Try hitting the unlock button on the key fob when it starts honking.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM

I guess there it's called boosting. But I've scene that happen before and it was the alarm. Im assuming your friend's battery was completely dead before trying to jump it.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 AM
I thought the term 'boosting' was international?? Thats what we called it back home ie. Canada. ...."hey, you got jumper cables? I need a boost!" ;-)

Ok, so lets say it is the alarm. How do I deactivate it? Im surprised really because i thought the alarm horn would honk on and off, like an alarm. His truck is full on honk only, no sequence to it.

What if I lock the car (so it is back in anti-theft mode, as suggested above) hook the truck up and then hit the remote start or go and then unlock the truck. Think that might fool it?

Thanks so far for the help!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

At first I thought boosting like turbo or something. I kinda thought it was odd so I had to click to read more. Only trying to jump it .

Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If it is the alarm, hitting the unlock button should make it stop. My truck does the same thing when I reconnect the battery cable.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I thought boosting meant stealing ie "gone in 60 seconds". Again it sounds like the alarm system. you should still be able to boost it even with the horn going off.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Sorry for the confusion in terminology - totally see everyone else's point.

I'll tyr the tricks as mentioned - but does anyone know why the system is set up this way?

Quick Reply: Horn goes off when boosting