2009 - 2014 F-150

Platinum Accent Molding - removable?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Platinum Accent Molding - removable?

Since Ford doesn't build the truck I want, I've been looking at the Platinum since it's the closest thing to it. However, I hate chrome. Does anyone know if the chrome body-side accent molding on the Platinum is removable? Are there locating pins, meaning holes in the body panels?

Along that same topic, here's my conundrum:

I want the luxury of the Lariat with the sporty look of the FX2/FX4 package. EB engine is mandatory, interior will be black and the exterior can be any color as long as it's White Platinum Tri-coat.

My first thought was to buy an FX2 with all the options, but it's not available in the exterior color, plus there are several luxuries that aren't available in FX trim.

Second thought was to buy a Lariat and swap bumpers, grill and the hideous blond wood for FX parts, but that could get expensive in a hurry.

Third thought is a Platinum. If I can remove the body-side molding, all I need to do is swap grilles and the tailgate and I've got the perfect truck (although I'm not a huge fan of the brown seats with the black interior, but I think they would grow on me).

What's my best option to get the truck I want?

Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 AM
The molding is probably held on by 3m tape. I am 99.9999% sure of this. The best way to take it off is to use either dental floss or a small fishing line to slide behind the double sided tape.

Take your time and get some 3M adhesive remover after it is done.

I am not wild about the chrome strip either, but I can live with it on the one I ordered.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:34 AM
It seems to me you are stressing too much about the looks. At least you know what engine you want.

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 02-26-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The molding down the side has alignment holes behind it. Search for 'blackplatBDS', he pulled his off to discover this, but he was line-xing over it anyway.

I would say I am somewhat in the same boat, I don't have chrome but I wish the plat had less of it. I don't mind the brushed stuff, but I would swap the mirror caps for PTM and see about doing something to match the side moldings to the front and rear brushed. I am debating between a platinum EB or raptor 6.2, I don't think I want another FX4 since I will be keeping my current truck. By the time I want to by later this fall the 2012 raptors should be rolling out, maybe the 2012 platinums who knows..

Last edited by FX4life; 02-26-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM
What about just getting the chrome strip PTM on the plat.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Everywhere you see a white strip of tape over the fender you will find a hole, everywhere you see a white strip of tape down the side of the truck you will find an inch wide mounting hole where a tab snaps into the side of the body panels on the back of the side molding. So yes, you will have plenty of holes in the truck to fill and paint and or do something more extreme such as myself to cover up.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
It seems to me you are stressing too much about the looks. At least you know what engine you want.
LOL - Heaven forbid I want a $35k truck to look a certain way...

Originally Posted by FX4life
The molding down the side has alignment holes behind it. Search for 'blackplatBDS', he pulled his off to discover this, but he was line-xing over it anyway.
Originally Posted by BlackPlatBDS
Everywhere you see a white strip of tape over the fender you will find a hole, everywhere you see a white strip of tape down the side of the truck you will find an inch wide mounting hole where a tab snaps into the side of the body panels on the back of the side molding. So yes, you will have plenty of holes in the truck to fill and paint and or do something more extreme such as myself to cover up.
Thanks guys - this is exactly what I needed to know. I searched using several different terms, never saw BlackPlat's thread though.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 AM
It is still cheaper to buy the Lariat and make the changes than it is to buy the more expensive Platinum and make the changes. So I wouldn't rule out the Lariat because of cost. You're paying thousands less.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Platinum Accent Molding - removable?