2009 - 2014 F-150

window not closing tightly with window defector

Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window not closing tightly with window defector

so i just recently put a set of the avs in channel window deflectors on my 2012 crew cab. the problem im noticing now is at least the drivers side window doesn't close tightly, leaving me with the wide noise and a slight draft. im just wondering if this seems to be a normal issue with the in channel sets or if i maybe don't have them on 100% correctly.
thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by FX4Matt
so i just recently put a set of the avs in channel window deflectors on my 2012 crew cab. the problem im noticing now is at least the drivers side window doesn't close tightly, leaving me with the wide noise and a slight draft. im just wondering if this seems to be a normal issue with the in channel sets or if i maybe don't have them on 100% correctly.
thanks in advance!
Matt,
From what I gather that's a common prob with the in-channel vent shades. I put them on my '13 Scab and have that prob with the driver and the passenger side. The only solution I have found is to close the window manually instead of auto. Either hold up on the button until it closes or "sneak" up by small bits when it gets close to the channel so that it doesn't top out hard enough to trigger the "bounce-back"; with practice you can get pretty good at it.

According to the manual, holding the button up until the window closes and continue for 5 (?) seconds will reset the "bounce-back" but it doesn't seem to help with the vent shades installed.

Hope that helps some,
Ron

Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I have the avs in channel on mine and had the wind noise only on the driver side at first. I took it back out and redone it and the wind noise is very minimum now. Try it again. My biggest issues was the passenger side didnt like the obstruction at first and would cause the auto roll down to kick in. After working it for about a year now it has gone away as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi There, it sounds like you need to re-initialize the power window motors so they know that the deflectors are in there. I've got the Weathertech in-channel deflectors and this solved the problem for me! Here's the Ford Shop Manual procedure;

Window Motor Initialization

NOTE: Initialization is required to learn both the full UP and full DOWN positions and the profile of the glass as it travels through the glass channel. Once initialized, obstacle detection is enabled. This procedure is only required for LH and RH front window motors.

NOTE: The front window motor must be de-initialized, and then initialized whenever the front window motor is removed from the window regulator drum housing, a new window regulator is installed, a new window glass is installed, a new top run is installed or for any operation in which grease or lubricants are applied to the window regulator or glass run.

NOTE: A new (original factory setting) or de-initialized front window motor cannot operate in one-touch up mode until initialized. If a new front window motor has been installed, proceed to the initialization procedure.

NOTE: If diagnosing a LH or RH front window switch problem, carry out the window initialization procedure before installing a new window switch.

NOTE: All front window components (window glass, window regulator, window motor, seals and glass top run) must be installed and tightened to specification before carrying out the initialization procedure.

NOTE: Excessive bounce-back (window reverses direction with no obstructions present) can indicate that a de-initialization procedure may need to be carried out.

De-Initialization Procedure
NOTE: The front window motor must be de-initialized (reset to its original factory settings) before carrying out the initialization procedure.
1. Turn the ignition ON.
1. Operate the window control switch in one-touch mode and remove power from the window motor while the window is moving by one of the following methods:1.Disconnect the vehicle battery cable while the window is moving .
1. Remove the LH or RH front window motor fuse while the window is moving.

1. This de-initializes the window motor and reset the window motor to its original factory settings.
1. Carry out the initialization procedure to turn the one-touch-up feature on.

Window Motor Initialization
WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: The front window must be in the full OPEN position for this procedure to operate correctly.

NOTE: If the initialization procedure is only partially completed, the front window motor remains de-initialized and operates only in proportional up/down and one-touch-down modes.
1. Turn the ignition ON.
1. Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch.
1. Activate and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds at the bottom of its travel and release the switch.
1. Test for correct window operation by carrying out the one-touch-up and one-touch-down features.

Last edited by twotoilets; 04-08-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by twotoilets
Hi There, it sounds like you need to re-initialize the power window motors so they know that the deflectors are in there. I've got the Weathertech in-channel deflectors and this solved the problem for me! Here's the Ford Shop Manual procedure; Window Motor Initialization NOTE: Initialization is required to learn both the full UP and full DOWN positions and the profile of the glass as it travels through the glass channel. Once initialized, obstacle detection is enabled. This procedure is only required for LH and RH front window motors. NOTE: The front window motor must be de-initialized, and then initialized whenever the front window motor is removed from the window regulator drum housing, a new window regulator is installed, a new window glass is installed, a new top run is installed or for any operation in which grease or lubricants are applied to the window regulator or glass run. NOTE: A new (original factory setting) or de-initialized front window motor cannot operate in one-touch up mode until initialized. If a new front window motor has been installed, proceed to the initialization procedure. NOTE: If diagnosing a LH or RH front window switch problem, carry out the window initialization procedure before installing a new window switch. NOTE: All front window components (window glass, window regulator, window motor, seals and glass top run) must be installed and tightened to specification before carrying out the initialization procedure. NOTE: Excessive bounce-back (window reverses direction with no obstructions present) can indicate that a de-initialization procedure may need to be carried out. De-Initialization Procedure NOTE: The front window motor must be de-initialized (reset to its original factory settings) before carrying out the initialization procedure. 1. Turn the ignition ON. 1. Operate the window control switch in one-touch mode and remove power from the window motor while the window is moving by one of the following methods:1.Disconnect the vehicle battery cable while the window is moving . 1. Remove the LH or RH front window motor fuse while the window is moving. 1. This de-initializes the window motor and reset the window motor to its original factory settings. 1. Carry out the initialization procedure to turn the one-touch-up feature on. Window Motor Initialization WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury. NOTE: The front window must be in the full OPEN position for this procedure to operate correctly. NOTE: If the initialization procedure is only partially completed, the front window motor remains de-initialized and operates only in proportional up/down and one-touch-down modes. 1. Turn the ignition ON. 1. Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch. 1. Activate and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds at the bottom of its travel and release the switch. 1. Test for correct window operation by carrying out the one-touch-up and one-touch-down features. .
So I just tried this procedure but it didn't seem to work. Is there something that is commonly done wrong or too quickly?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 PM
It took me a couple of tries before I got it right!!

1. The window has to be moving in auto up or auto down mode when you pull the fuse for the motor. (the passenger side was easy, I needed a hand for the drivers side)

2. You'll know if you de-initialized the motor when auto up doesn't work, the window will still move, but no auto.

3. When you re-initialize the motor make sure you hold the switch all the way up for a full 2 seconds after the window fully seats into the channel. Then follow that with the window all the way down and another 2 seconds after it bottoms out.

Those were the things I missed on my first tries, I hope it works for you as the bounce back was driving me crazy until I discovered this procedure.

Last edited by twotoilets; 04-11-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by twotoilets
It took me a couple of tries before I got it right!! 1. The window has to be moving in auto up or auto down mode when you pull the fuse for the motor. (the passenger side was easy, I needed a hand for the drivers side) 2. You'll know if you de-initialized the motor when auto up or down doesn't work, the window will still move, but no auto. 3. When you re-initialize the motor make sure you hold the switch all the way up for a full 2 seconds after the window fully seats into the channel. Then follow that with the window all the way down and another 2 seconds after it bottoms out. Those were the things I missed on my first tries, I hope it works for you as the bounce back was driving me crazy until I discovered this procedure.
Okay thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I put them on my truck about three months after I got her. I had a problem at first putting those little plastic guides into the channel first. The windows kept bouncing back no matter what I did. So after my frustration with it on the first day I walked away and retried it a few days later. I pulled the front vent visors back out and repositioned those little plastic clip guide things so they were behind the rubber window channel. It's been a while, but I think that's what it said to do in the instructions with the set I got. Once I put the vent visors back in I closed the window and let it sit shut for a couple days. The passenger side has been fine ever since with no bounce back. The drivers side bounced back a few times this winter. Other than that mine have been working fine.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
ya, ive taken the drivers side off and put it back on. ive also re-initialized the windows so i dont have the bounce back issue. the only issue is it seems as though the window doesnt go fully into the channel as far as it can go.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Wink

That's what mine was doing. I have the AVS Ventvisor brand. With that it came with these little black "V" shaped guide things. If they aren't lined up, or aren't completely seated straight in the channel behind the rubber seal, the window won't go all the way up. That's what happened with me. It was a pain getting them in. I had to slide a screw driver up behind the rubber seal, then use another screw driver to push the darn things up in there straight. Luckily I didn't damage anything when I did it. Every once in a while I'll get a bounce back on the drivers side. But the passenger side has been golden.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Scarlet
That's what mine was doing. I have the AVS Ventvisor brand. With that it came with these little black "V" shaped guide things. If they aren't lined up, or aren't completely seated straight in the channel behind the rubber seal, the window won't go all the way up. That's what happened with me. It was a pain getting them in. I had to slide a screw driver up behind the rubber seal, then use another screw driver to push the darn things up in there straight. Luckily I didn't damage anything when I did it. Every once in a while I'll get a bounce back on the drivers side. But the passenger side has been golden.
thats the same ones i have. where did you put the guides? i put mine right behind the front part of the visor right by the mirror area

Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Cool

Well, it's been three years since I've done it. What I remember is that putting them darn things in was a pain. Once I figured it out (for real), then the rest went pretty easy. As I recall I think I put the clips about an inch or so from each corner. I went to the Lund website to see if I could find some instructions to refresh my memory. www.lundinternational.com. I clicked on the AVS logo at the top, then I clicked on Installation made easy (for a video). I clicked on the video for the In-Channel ventvisor and it was a joke. So then at the top of the page I entered "In-Channel ventvisor" into the search window. It came up with choices for 2pc or 4pc.. I clicked on 4pc and the video came back up, but then it had a red Download button for the PDF. I clicked on it. Guess What? The instructions they have there are different than what we have. They don't even show the clips. They show sticky tape on the part of the visor that inserts into the channel. I can't remember if mine had that. I guess it did? So after all this long windedness, still no help. Like I said, as I recall? I put the clips about an inch or so from each corner. Then left the windows closed for a couple days. I wish I had more than Jiberish to give you........

Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS shades.
Same problem here, different solution. I had to re-install the drivers side then I tested again. The bounce back was still there.
I pulled both driver and passenger side back off again and waited for a nice warm sunny day.
Let the shades sit in the sun on the bed cover for an hour or so to soften them up.
Reinstalled and left truck in sun all day. Did not roll windows down for two days.
No problems since.

"Mack"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: window not closing tightly with window defector