2009 - 2014 F-150

How to install LED underdash lighting.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install LED underdash lighting.

After getting my new screw with black interior I realized at night it is very dark even with the dome lights on. So I decided to add some extra lighting by way of LED's.

Without lights.

First I decided on a location. I choose the bottom lip of both the drivers and pass sides.

After removing the door sill cover I located the dome light wire. Grey with purple stripe. To make sure you have the correct wire, use a circuit test light and you can manually close the door latch with a screwdriver and it will turn off light when closed and on when opened. Remember to have all other doors closed when testing for the correct wire or else the light will always be on.

I then spliced the wire for the positive side of the new lights.

I then removed the left kick panel.
I connected the ground wire using a self tapping screw into the metal panel behind the left kick panel.

I also removed the side panel on the dash. This helped me route the wires.

Also I removed the left and right panels on the floor attached to the console. This also helped me run wires easier.

After wiring and mounting the LED strips I have a whole lot more light now.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice. How many led's did you add? How many on each strip?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Nice mod...way to go!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by sandydiego
Nice. How many led's did you add? How many on each strip?
I got the strips from Auto Zone. They have 2 12" strips for about $20 each strip has 18 LED's. By the way they have 3M tape on the back of them so no fasteners.
I have a pic of the strip in my other post https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ge-w-pics.html and also in my photo albums.

Last edited by tbraquet; 02-12-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Nice, I did this as well with my '09 Plat...I tapped into the existing dome light wires so the footwell lights I added turn on/off and "delay dim" with the other interior lights...Dramatic improvement at night. I have the dark carpeting and it is much better with the light. I'm also considering tapping into the same circuit to add subtle rear footwell lighting coming off each side of the rear of the console. I just need to find some smaller, round light fixtures and I'll be good to go. I did mine a bit differently as I followed the front dome light wires down the A pillar and tapped into the dome light circut there (both + and - wires) and then ran two wires behind the glove box/center stack and ended them over the driver's side footwell. For my rear footwell lighting I'll tap into these two wires at the center stack and run them down the inside of the console housing to the rear of the console...that is if I'm no too lazy to get around to it Would be a good time to do it though if I'm going the have the console apart anyway to install the console interior lighting....

Last edited by HotLap; 02-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by HotLap
Nice, I did this as well with my '09 Plat...I tapped into the existing dome light wires so the footwell lights I added turn on/off and "delay dim" with the other interior lights...Dramatic improvement at night. I have the dark carpeting and it is much better with the light. I'm also considering tapping into the same circuit to add subtle rear footwell lighting coming off each side of the rear of the console. I just need to find some smaller, round light fixtures and I'll be good to go. I did mine a bit differently as I followed the front dome light wires down the A pillar and tapped into the dome light circut there (both + and - wires) and then ran two wires behind the glove box/center stack and ended them over the driver's side footwell. For my rear footwell lighting I'll tap into these two wires at the center stack and run them down the inside of the console housing to the rear of the console...that is if I'm no too lazy to get around to it Would be a good time to do it though if I'm going the have the console apart anyway to install the console interior lighting....
Thanks, check our Superbrightleds.com they have some small round and oval led puck lights. Decent prices also.

Last edited by tbraquet; 02-12-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I bought those same LED flex strips and wanted to know if anyone of you could help with a different install set up. I would like to mount them in the same location, but connect to a toggle switch to turn on and off at my control....

Not being electronic savy, what is the best way to get steady power to toggle switch and connect the LED strip properly.

2010 FX4

Thanks in advanced for any help

Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Welcome to the forum.

2010 FX4 Boston: you could tie into the wiring on the back of the 12v power outlet either the one next to the front usb or the one on the right of the radio bezel. They are always hot.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_FX4_Boston
I bought those same LED flex strips and wanted to know if anyone of you could help with a different install set up. I would like to mount them in the same location, but connect to a toggle switch to turn on and off at my control....

Not being electronic savy, what is the best way to get steady power to toggle switch and connect the LED strip properly.

2010 FX4

Thanks in advanced for any help
Just find a constant 12V source such as doing an "add a circuit", tapping the cig lighter as noted or run a dedicated 12V wire to your battery and fuse it. Then run a power wire to a switch and then to all + connections on your lights. Then ground the switch and each individual light and your ready to go.

OP...looks much better and a def improvement.

I have blue under my front footwells and under the backside of the front seats for the rear passengers.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM

This is really slick. I like it a lot and will probably add it to the mine.

-Curtis-

Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Not sure how I missed the original thread, but this is a cool idea. Nice job.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it another shot when I have more time (too bad because its 70 and clear here in Boston today).

If I was to continue with tieing into the parking lights, does anyone know where I can pick up the PARKING LIGHT hot wire. I just light the idea of keyless entry turning them on, opening the door and only on when lights are on. I found a Purple with two white stripes going to the parking lights, is this correct for the 2010 f150 ?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM
tbraquet: Cool mod. I want to do it, too, and had some questions:
1. Your 3rd and 4th pic are good. Great detail that shows what color wire you're working with. However, I have an '06. Are the wire colors, gray w/ purple stripe, the same for my truck?
2. Your 5th pic shows the splice you made. How did you splice it? Did you solder or use a Scotchlock? I think you soldered it, but I'm leaning toward the Scotchlock. Any tips/warnings for/against the Scotchlock?
3. It looks like you tapped into the dome light wire (gray w/ purple stripe) with a black and white wire. However, I don't see that black and white wire in your subsequent pictures. Where did you put it?!?
My LED lights should come in next week, so I'm trying to get as much info/planning done before hand as possible.
Thanks!

Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChipFisher
tbraquet: Cool mod. I want to do it, too, and had some questions:
1. Your 3rd and 4th pic are good. Great detail that shows what color wire you're working with. However, I have an '06. Are the wire colors, gray w/ purple stripe, the same for my truck?
I don't know about your year truck. I think if you do a search you might be able to find the color code for your ym.
2. Your 5th pic shows the splice you made. How did you splice it? Did you solder or use a Scotchlock? I think you soldered it, but I'm leaning toward the Scotchlock. Any tips/warnings for/against the Scotchlock?
I did solder it and then used heatshrink over it.
3. It looks like you tapped into the dome light wire (gray w/ purple stripe) with a black and white wire. However, I don't see that black and white wire in your subsequent pictures. Where did you put it?!?
I used the black and white to add more to the wires that were on the LED strip. They were not long enough. I just ran them up the kick panel then under the dash.
My LED lights should come in next week, so I'm trying to get as much info/planning done before hand as possible.
Thanks!

See my answers in Bold Italic above.

Last edited by tbraquet; 12-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM
subscribing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install LED underdash lighting.