2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are the differences in the raptor and fx4 traction controls??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good point - need to make sure and differentiate from ESC (stability control), RSC (roll stability), and TCS (traction control).

Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most Stability control systems are disabled in 4WD, maybe just low range, though. Is this the case for the F-150?

Pulling the stability control module power fuse should do it, 36 under the hood.

Last edited by APT; 09-28-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Make sure you guys are turning off Trailer Sway control too when off road... not sure if it will sense what it considers "sway" but it is possible.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Has anybody tryed pulling the fuse yet just to see...An if ur in 4wheel drive and spin the tires in the snow or mud will the motor cut power or does the system let the truck run...

Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by APT
Most Stability control systems are disabled in 4WD, maybe just low range, though. Is this the case for the F-150?

Pulling the stability control module power fuse should do it, 36 under the hood.
Fuse 36 is for Roll Stability Control - which shouldn't cause you any problems when off-roading. It applies the brakes to the proper wheels when the roll sensors think the truck's going to tip.

As has been mentioned a zillion times, it's the traction control (TCS) that reduces engine power and applies brakes when it detects spinning wheels. TCS can be deactivated by pushing the sliding car button. This deactivates ALL stability systems until you reach 35 mph, at which time ESC and RSC (neither of which should cause any problems off-road) are reactivated. TSC will stay deactivated until you turn off the truck.

Last edited by statikuz; 09-28-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
New question then, can the control panel out of the Raptor with the upfitter switches be added to the FX4? It's it plug and play or is there some wiring missing?

Reason I ask is I just got out of an FJ Cruiser. And while mine was 2wd, all the 4x4 owners and friends I had added the ATRAC system to theirs by simply adding a $40 button. Toyota charged $2500 to get the upgrade package with that feature, but they included all the wiring with every 4x4 no matter what package you got. So by simply plugging in a cheap button into the wiring harness already provided, they were able to get the ATRAC function.

I know, different truck, different make. Just wondering if Ford included the wiring and computer setup in all the 4x4s no matter what trim level you got.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Has anyone tried lightly pressing the brake (not enough to slow the truck, but just enough)? This disables traction control on other makes/models.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Does traction control stay deactivated when you pass 35mph but then return below 35mph?? Or do you gotta hold the button down everytime you pass 35mph...

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by OutlawFord
Does traction control stay deactivated when you pass 35mph but then return below 35mph?? Or do you gotta hold the button down everytime you pass 35mph...
u have it backwards it reactivates abouve 35 and deactivates below 35 if you have turned off using the switch on the dash.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Ya my bad, So it will not totally reset after 35mph, meaning soon as you hold the button and go back an forth between 35 mph and higher its allways on under 35mph?

Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm not sure anybody is reading.

TCS can be deactivated by pushing the sliding car button. This deactivates ALL stability systems until you reach 35 mph, at which time ESC and RSC (neither of which should cause any problems off-road) are reactivated. TSC will stay deactivated until you turn off the truck.
Traction control DOES NOT reactivate above 35 MPH, as is stated in the owner's manual (do they put these in trucks anymore?) Once you press and hold the button for 5 seconds, it's disabled until you restart the truck regardless of speed.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 AM
APT
Originally Posted by statikuz
Fuse 36 is for Roll Stability Control - which shouldn't cause you any problems when off-roading. It applies the brakes to the proper wheels when the roll sensors think the truck's going to tip.

As has been mentioned a zillion times, it's the traction control (TCS) that reduces engine power and applies brakes when it detects spinning wheels. TCS can be deactivated by pushing the sliding car button. This deactivates ALL stability systems until you reach 35 mph, at which time ESC and RSC (neither of which should cause any problems off-road) are reactivated. TSC will stay deactivated until you turn off the truck.
If what you are saying has been repeated a zillion time, it has been incorrect a zillion times. RSC=TCS=ABS. It's all the same module that the three systems. If you found the connector for the steering angle sensor or the inertial module, that would just disable ESC/RSC, but keep TC/ABS. I don't know where those modules are located on the vehicle. Steering angle sensor is probably on the column, behind the wheel. The IMU is often under the center console.

I'll be mid-turn and the traction control will randomly turn on, grab traction and point the truck straight instead of continuing with the turn.
That's the ESC/RSC part, not TCS part. Traction control is for controlling acceleration, positive slip. ABS is for stopping/negative slip. ESC is for oversteer/understeer, side slip.

There is a table on page 278 of your manual that explains the modes of the system and how the driver can control them. The preceding two pages define TCS/ESC/RSC functions. Press once for TCS to be disabled at all speeds. Hold to disable ESC/RSC under 35mph. The only way to disable ESC/RSC over 35mph is to either kill power to the module that controls it (Fuse 36) or fault it out by removing the interface from one of its primary inputs, SAS/IMU.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM
RSC != TCS - like the manual explains. If this has been incorrect a zillion times, then they printed a zillion incorrect manuals.

I'll be mid-turn and the traction control will randomly turn on, grab traction and point the truck straight instead of continuing with the turn.
You are correct, it's the ESC that's "interfering" here, not particularly the TCS. But unless you're really mobbing around in the desert, I'm not sure I would be wanting to turn off-road at speeds greater than 35, to a point where the truck begins to slide and activate the stability control. But that's neither here nor there. As far as TCS goes, which could cause you problems climbing a hill or something, it can still be deactivated as has been explained.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:51 AM
APT
As far as fuses go, they are the same. As far as system functionality, they are not. We were both right, or wrong. Fuse 36. Fuse 47 is for the motor, which would also set a fault to effectively disable ABS/TC/ESC/RSC functions.

Sideways over 35mph on some dunes is nothing. Thankfully I don't have ESC/RSC on my ATVs!

Last edited by APT; 09-29-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Truth - but an ATV and a full-size pickup are two different animals.

Quick Reply: What are the differences in the raptor and fx4 traction controls??