2009 - 2014 F-150

any known issues to look for on 2010 friend looking at one

Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any known issues to look for on 2010 friend looking at one

Are there any known issues to watch out for on the 2010's have good friend looking for used truck and he has found few nice prices on 2010 F150's supercabs 4x4's with tow packages and V8 engines.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The only issue that I've had with mine is that you have to pull the passenger door handle twice in order to get it to release. Also the MPG could be better but that's too be expected. Otherwise I'm very happy with it. 2010 FX-4 Scab 5.4 3.73 HD tow package.

PS You didn't say where you are but tell your friend to look it over CLOSELY for rust. I've had no problem but others have. Check the bottoms of the doors, fenders, etc and ALSO around the 3rd brake light inside and out!

PS I don't have one but the sliding rear window with heaters have been a BIG problem! Sync system is also a POS. And prepare to get royally F'ed if you want to update the Nav system!

Last edited by joe51; 03-30-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by joe51
The only issue that I've had with mine is that you have to pull the passenger door handle twice in order to get it to release. Also the MPG could be better but that's too be expected. Otherwise I'm very happy with it. 2010 FX-4 Scab 5.4 3.73 HD tow package.

PS You didn't say where you are but tell your friend to look it over CLOSELY for rust. I've had no problem but others have. Check the bottoms of the doors, fenders, etc and ALSO around the 3rd brake light inside and out!

PS I don't have one but the sliding rear window with heaters have been a BIG problem! Sync system is also a POS. And prepare to get royally F'ed if you want to update the Nav system!
What's bad about up grading to a nav system. I have a 2010 xlt and kinda want to get nav

Old 04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
My 2010 was a great truck. Had 250,000km's on it when I sold it. Motor was solid, got decent MPG's and only had to change a wheel bearing and yoke seal other than usual maintenance.

I conquer with Joe, check for rust underneath. Bottoms of the doors and cab corners behind the rear door.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
My 2010 was a great truck. Had 250,000km's on it when I sold it. Motor was solid, got decent MPG's and only had to change a wheel bearing and yoke seal other than usual maintenance.

I conquer with Joe, check for rust underneath. Bottoms of the doors and cab corners behind the rear door.
Rust is a CURSE IMO. Any more, I wouldn't touch a rusted vehicle.

I'd check closely around the 3rd brake light as well. They have a reputation for leaking. Look inside the cab in the area for any signs of water staining. Any water leaking inside a modern computer controlled, fully electrified vehicle can cause no end of grief! In one recent thread on here, somebody just had to replace his entire BCM computer due to a small windshield leak.

PS if it has an electronic operated 4 wheel drive make sure that it goes in and out of 4WD ok. The electronic shifters are known for sticking and not shifting properly if they aren't used often enough. Mine suddenly started displaying "shift in Progress" and then some kind of error message saying that it couldn't complete the shift. This was without me telling it to shift into 4WD. I hadn't used it in a while but I got underneath and tapped (gently!) on the shift mechanism and it loosened up and it started working ok. Now I shift it into 4WD and back out a couple of times a month just to keep everything loosened up. I shift it while driving straight line and at parking lot speed. Just shift into 4WD and then after it completes the shift just switch back to 2WD.

Nav problem: $200+ per year to update the maps and they won't let you skip years. This seems to be a racket with most auto manufacturers. Check with your stealership and don't settle for an "about" price.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:20 AM
I order a new Nav SD card every other year, no issues at all.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 PM
I bought a 2009. I second the checking for rust, especially around the rockers and cab corners (bottom of the truck just to the rear of the rear doors). I also second the leaking 3rd brake light. It's easy to repair. I got a new seal off eBay for around $25 and it fixed it completely. Besides that, I have heard plenty of people swear off the 5.4 V8. I haven't had problems (knock on wood) but I hear horror stories from people about them. Maybe convince him to go a year newer and get the 5.0 V8 instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: any known issues to look for on 2010 friend looking at one