2009 - 2014 F-150

Factory Power Steps vs Aftermarket

Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Power Steps vs Aftermarket

Was reading through Amp Research's Website and notice the connects for the power steps are all located behind the passenger side kick panel. Does anyone know if the factory ones are built into a plug or are they spliced possible soldered just like I would have to install the aftermarket. Wonder if it would be better to get them from Ford or just get them directly from Amp Research.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM

Hmmm, Good question. I'll have to take a look and see where they hook up.

I'm not sure about the AMP steps, but the Ford ones on my Platinum are controllable via the same buttons as the mpg meter, dte, etc. What I mean by that is you can lower them from inside the cab, turn them off, or place them down for cleaning all from the dash.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Was unaware of the manual control the Platinum had. Wonder if they can flash the computer with the platinum controls and install the factory boards. If not I would be happy with just a plug to make the install cleaner instead of posi-taps. Just looking for ways to make the install easier. Hoping if I end up having to do the posi-taps it wont void any part of the warranty.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM
As with any OEM part I would bet the Ford steps, even if not programmable to the messge center would be HUGE bucks. Heck wheels from Ford are $400+, imagine motorized steps? Neat idea to look into though.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
I will probably just get the aftermarket since they are the same less the manual controls in the cluster.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 PM
yeah, just go aftermarket. I don't see how you could add the 3 factory computer/setup buttons to the dash on your truck anyways.

Don't the AMP aftermarket ones come with some kind of switch anyways so that you can control them?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I have AMP steps on my F250. You can close the door with your foot on the step and it will stay down for cleaning. Also, if it hits something while folding down they stop and stay there until you close the door. No need for a interior switch.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Never thought about using the safety feature to keep them down for cleaning. Nice thought. I plan on getting the Amp, but I was checking if Ford had there wires built into a seperate plug that would make the install electrically cleaner instead of using the posi-taps. Like I said I found out last night that at least on the 09s all the control wire tie-in points are behind the passenger kick panel. You dont have to run two wires down each side of the cab under the carpet like you had to on the 08s.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brlcla
Like I said I found out last night that at least on the 09s all the control wire tie-in points are behind the passenger kick panel. You dont have to run two wires down each side of the cab under the carpet like you had to on the 08s.
Can you provide pics?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
2009 Installation Guide:

http://amp-research.com/pdflibrary/i...96_F150_09.pdf

I pulled the kick panel off today out of curiosity to take a look. It has three clips, 1 side in metal, 2 top one in metal and one in plastic, the top one in metal is a lil tough i pulled the metal clip off the plastic tab on the panel but simple just to stick it back on. That is of coarse the front panel the side it a door that just opens.

FYI All the clips are just metal quick clips attated to plastic tabs on the kick panel.

But back to what is undernearth. There are about 6 plugs - Two on top of the computer and three in front toward the seat - the 6th goes to the A/C blower. The plug with the door wires is the small one on top of the computer toward the front of the truck. Located all the colored wires mentioned and the cab penetration that Amp supplies the grommet for. I felt comfortable with the instructions and the installation so I place my order for the steps today. Should be here sometime next week for next weekends project.

Last edited by brlcla; 06-26-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I know a number of people have added Power Steps. Any new information regarding the potential to add the ability to use factory wiring? What about controling them through the onboard computer?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 AM
New factory power steps on '05 F150?

Anyone know if the power steps from the '16 King Ranch F150 will fit on an '06 F150? I have an opportunity to buy a set pretty cheap but I'm wondering if they will even fit...

King Ranch steps are 85" long
I'm sure the plugs can be spliced easily
Would I need to get any other pieces for them to work? Relays or anything?
Here's some pics of the brackets/plugs:

Old 05-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amp makes the steps for Ford.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Power Steps vs Aftermarket