F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   New 09 Crew Lariat But lacking rear step and camera. Can i add them? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/368063-new-09-crew-lariat-but-lacking-rear-step-camera-can-i-add-them.html)

Lee in Ottawa 03-07-2009 09:19 AM

New 09 Crew Lariat But lacking rear step and camera. Can i add them?

Hey guys, My dad picked up his 09 Lariat 2 weeks ago. It didn't come with the rear step or backup camera, my dad wanted the 2 options but they had the truck on our friends ford lot and my dad didn't feel like ordering one so we took it. Now he realizes he should have ordered them and wants to add them on. Does anybody know where i can get a blk 09 tail gate with the step and camera built in as well as a mirror with the screen in it for the camera?

I know there are aftermarket options out there but we want the oem items.

HotLap 03-07-2009 10:13 AM

Lee if you want the Ford OEM stuff, you would have to order them through a Ford dealer. Getting the tailgate with the integrated step is probably easy to order (you may have to have it painted though) but adding the rear view OEM camara might be a bit more difficult. Does your dad's truck have the nav system or would you be using the rear view mirror/monitor option?

jac4x4 03-07-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lee in Ottawa (Post 3623343)
Hey guys, My dad picked up his 09 Lariat 2 weeks ago. It didn't come with the rear step or backup camera, my dad wanted the 2 options but they had the truck on our friends ford lot and my dad didn't feel like ordering one so we took it. Now he realizes he should have ordered them and wants to add them on. Does anybody know where i can get a blk 09 tail gate with the step and camera built in as well as a mirror with the screen in it for the camera?

I know there are aftermarket options out there but we want the oem items.

I got the same deal on the camera. Bought the truck without and have looked at trying to add it after and from what I've figured out is it is doable if you want to add it to the mirror but not the nav screen. Very expensive to do also. Dealer said the camera is like $500 and the mirror is even more. Plus the harness is not there and then there is the labor involved. I was told there is a company NAV TV that is working on being able to add it to the nav but it's aftermarket and thus the warrant issue comes into play.

Deano-FX4 03-07-2009 02:01 PM

when i bought my 04 FX4 i left out some options that i thought i wouldn't need or like, but after owning the 04 for about a month i was kicking myself for not getting them. this is why with my 09 FX4 i got loaded to the nuts i didn't want the buyers remorse again.

adding the steps will be easy but prolly expensive, and adding the back up cam like jac said can be done but expensive. your best bet might be a aftermarket solution.

gpo 03-07-2009 02:16 PM

You could look at aftermarket reverse sensors? That's the route I am considering of I do anything.

Rambo 03-08-2009 03:33 AM

Keep an eye on eBay for the tailgate. There's a couple on there without the step. Eventually one will show up with the step.

jimallen19525 04-05-2009 06:38 AM

So.. just to clarify. To add the tailgate step, I'd actually need a new gate? The step is not a "bolt-on" option?

SteveVFX4 04-05-2009 09:57 AM

yes you need a new gate with the step. The step is a part of the gate, slides inside the middle of it.

DarrenWS6 04-05-2009 10:50 AM

The aftermarket reverse system doesn't sound like a bad idea. Wait until another '09 with your paint color that was the gate step leave his gate un-locked, swap gates fast :lol:

jimallen19525 04-05-2009 12:51 PM

Thanks SteveVFX4. I was afraid of that.. Oh well.

brlcla 04-05-2009 01:07 PM

Get an Amp Research Bedstep. I actually opted not to get the ford step b/c I planned to get this one from the start. The Ford step is nice but I like the idea of being able to have a step with the tailgate up and be able to drop with with my foot when my hands are full. I also got a short bed so I couldnt get the side steps that have basically the same function I just mentioned.

My FX4 is fully loaded w/ 17" wheels except for bedstep, sidesteps, and stowable extender. I am getting Amp Research power steps and bedtep, 2" Level, and Dualliner when it gets here in May. Still deciding on what tire I want to swap. Probably end up riding on factory till they wear out.

labman1014 04-05-2009 02:43 PM

i installed the camera in my 08 after i bought it. i bought all parts at Tasca Ford Parts and it cost just under $900. if you bought the parts at the dealer, would have been closer to $1800. Mirror alone list for $800. i only had to make one short harness and mine works like it came on it.

BIG_ole_TRUCK 04-09-2009 11:33 AM

The thought I had in my head is a tailgate with the built-in step and camera maybe a freeloader's dream to get cheaply (ie. steal or swap). Thanks - I ran out and put a zip tie around at the notched end socket.

Barritia 04-09-2009 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK (Post 3676886)
The thought I had in my head is a tailgate with the built-in step and camera maybe a freeloader's dream to get cheaply (ie. steal or swap). Thanks - I ran out and put a zip tie around at the notched end socket.

I done the same thing. I heard that a replacement tailgate with step for a platinum is over $2000. Thats not includeing the cam.

BIG_ole_TRUCK 04-09-2009 01:30 PM

$2k for a tailgate? No wonder there's a lock on it.