2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigZAJ
What happens with the door code system in any of these alarm scenarios? Do any of them preserve the ability to get in the vehicle via the door code or will it always set the alarm off?
I got the viper 5901 installed and if the alarm is set and you do the door code, the alarm will go off when you open the door.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by jac4x4
I got the viper 5901 installed and if the alarm is set and you do the door code, the alarm will go off when you open the door.
Does a Ford Factory alarm allow you to open the door via the keypad and disarm the alarm?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Does a Ford Factory alarm allow you to open the door via the keypad and disarm the alarm?
The Ford system or the Code Alarm CA671 2-way system will allow you to disarm the alarm system via the keypad.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I wish I'd read this thread before I bought my Platinum.... I had the Dealer install the Ford remote start (one button) - it works great but the dual FOB is stupidly redundant. I put some velcro on the back of each FOB so that I can stick them together - makes carrying the dual FOB a bit easier at times.

Is there a way or vendor to combine these two FOBs into a single unit?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Truck HOg
Is there a way or vendor to combine these two FOBs into a single unit?
Yep it's the 6 button system. I put them on two Platinums today.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
Yep it's the 6 button system. I put them on two Platinums today.

Wow they look as budget as the standard ones.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Viper 5901

Here is a poor quality pic of the Viper 5901 but it gives you an idea on the size. One feature I thought would be nice is you can see the temp. in you car but it does not seem to work very well. Might need to ask the installer what's up.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Here is a poor quality pic of the Viper 5901 but it gives you an idea on the size. One feature I thought would be nice is you can see the temp. in you car but it does not seem to work very well. Might need to ask the installer what's up.

Thats what im getting but the clifford version.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Just got the viper 5901 installed and I am just starting to checkout the features. One thing I noticed that I'll have to look into is when I do a remote start and then let it timeout, the engine turns off but the radio and cliamte keep on going until you open the door......seems like this could be a bit of an issue for your battery if you forget.
This is becuase your truck has retained accessory power, or RAP. Chevy has had this chit forever and it sucks for doing remote starts because the radio will stay on if you allow it to time out, which in chevy means a dead battery in a matter of minutes. We just did a Viper 5701 in a chevy the other day and encountered this problem. We made the customer aware of it and told him that we can increase the run time so that its less likely to time out.

What happens with the door code system in any of these alarm scenarios? Do any of them preserve the ability to get in the vehicle via the door code or will it always set the alarm off?
The key pad can be made to disarm the factory, its just of matter of wiring it up in the correct way. I play on doing this in my truck soon, along with adding the power windown up and down module.

For you guys worried about aftermarket equipment being installed and voiding warranty...read this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

It protects consumers from that kind of BS from dealerships, provided it was installed by an professional installer. You do it yourself, your out for whatever you break, and when doing a remote start, can mean serious damage if it gets screwed up.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most legit installation shops have insurance coverage for if something gets messed up, and im sure that KC and others who do this for a living that a remote start is not something to just jump into on your own if you have no experience or training in installing them.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I also read online about others have the same issue with temperature feature/reading is not very accurate. Any other issues with your system yet? How much did you pay?

Some Viper installed quotes I got were $599 for the 5901 or $499 for the older 5900. and $399 for the similar Clifford version at another shop. Basic installs with no extra features.

But I did find this guy who works at one of the shops who is willing to install a system for me as a side job on a weekend. But there would be no warranty if I do it this way. as such, he recommended going with the last year's 5900 model saying it was a very reliable system, and that the 5901 has some occasional issues he said. I can get the 5900 plus bypass module for around $215 online and then he will charge me around $120 to install.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I also read online about others have the same issue with temperature feature/reading is not very accurate. Any other issues with your system yet? How much did you pay?

Some Viper installed quotes I got were $599 for the 5901 or $499 for the older 5900. and $399 for the similar Clifford version at another shop. Basic installs with no extra features.

But I did find this guy who works at one of the shops who is willing to install a system for me as a side job on a weekend. But there would be no warranty if I do it this way. as such, he recommended going with the last year's 5900 model saying it was a very reliable system, and that the 5901 has some occasional issues he said. I can get the 5900 plus bypass module for around $215 online and then he will charge me around $120 to install.
Pay a shop to do it. Peace of mind my friend. If he frys a computer your looking at least a grand to replace it. If you get the 5900 (which i recommend highly) you can get it installed through Best Buy (where I work) for $200. Save 80 now or have potential to cost a lot more later? Just remember, you get what you pay for.

The new xx01 series vipers have had a few issues mostly because they are new. Within a year they will be just as reliable as usual. DEI has excellent customer service and a 5 year (I Think) warranty on their products.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4

Seems I paid too much @$800 bucks but I went with the shop with the best reputation in town that I knew of. No way I'm gonna have this kind of stuff done on my car without a warranty or from a shop that might not be there in a year.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:07 PM
thats about the price i was qouted.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
The key pad can be made to disarm the factory, its just of matter of wiring it up in the correct way. I play on doing this in my truck soon, along with adding the power windown up and down module.
How do you do this?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
The Viper 5901 can not be disarmed with the door keypad. There is no manual disarm input wire on any DEI systems except a add-on alarm to factory keyless entry. If I am wrong please correct me. I have explored the installation manual of this unit pretty deep and even talked to some DEI techs and they have confirmed that it will not do this.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?