2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

auto on headlights/ dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto on headlights/ dash lights

My '09 F150 has the auto on headlights that turn on when it gets dark enough out side. If I manually turn the headlights on, the dash lights don't come on. Can this be right?
I had turned the lights on the other day when it was dark and cloudy, but it wasn't until dusk that I heard a little relay click and the dash finally lit up.
My '04, with the same feature, lights up everything when the light switch is manually turned on. Yes, I have verified the dash dimmer switch is working correctly on the '09.
Can anyone with this feature on an '09 verify that that's the way these new trucks are?
Thanks.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
That's the way it works, it's all about the sensor in the truck.

I thought the same as you (why not turn on the dash lights if you manually turn on the headlights), but no, it's all in the sensor.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Mine does the same.... Haven't had a chance to verify but think it might have something to do with the Nav Systems setting for auto day / night.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by BluesCrew_FX4
Mine does the same.... Haven't had a chance to verify but think it might have something to do with the Nav Systems setting for auto day / night.
I agree it probably is due to the fact of the nav systems. I have a Pioneer system in my 03 and it would be hard to see the nav system in the daylight on the nightime setting.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I just got my truck on Tues the same thing happened to me as wellusing just the on portion noth the auto feature. I spoke to the dealer that night and the Service Manager wants the truck as soon as I can get it there. They want to make sure its not a software issue with the dash and to make sure if theres a patch for the sensor they will upload it. Let you know how I make out. The service manager claims the dash lights should be on when in the park or on position.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Ok, I just came home from the dealer. On the way to the dealer about 7:30am it was still not bright out sun just starting to rise, dash lights worked when I had fog and park lights on. About 10 min later when the sun came up enough the dash lights shutoff. The dealer checked out the truck, I explained what had happened. They took me in the shop and explained its a new feature on the 09. Apparently if its bright out they shut off or dim out as it darkens out they supposed to gradually brighten (sensor on center dash) same when going into tunnel or under overpass. They did some software checks and sent me on my way. The tech said to keep them full bright you have to calibrate the dimmer switch, slide to completely dim to full on with dome then back off to full dim and should keep dash lights on. Hope this helps!!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:44 PM
are the outside lights affected by the manual operation of the light switch?
this is just the dash lights?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Riken
are the outside lights affected by the manual operation of the light switch?
this is just the dash lights?

The outside lights arent affected they go on and off with the switch as usual. The dash lights with manual switch im park or on position works in conjunction with the dash mounted sensor to come on and off with the varying light differences.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:00 PM
i dont think thats too big a deal, but what i hate about fords is that - correct me if im wrong - you cant dim the clock/radio and odometer when the headlights are off. i understand for most people this isnt a big deal but i use an 08 for a work truck and in my line of work, i need that. That way, I dont have a bunch of electrical tape all over my dash.

Quick Reply: auto on headlights/ dash lights