F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Changes to FX4 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/346773-changes-fx4.html)

Power Kid 09-22-2008 02:05 PM

Changes to FX4

Checking out the colors on the FX4 on the 09 F150 site and I noticed that
i) the flares are now color matched. Nice and might I say finally! &
ii) They now have chrome door handles? Ok other than the hideous new tialights with their bright/chrome trim, there is no chrome on a FX4. So why give it chrome handles???? :eek: When I see a 04-08 with the aftermarket chrome I just laugh. I guess I'm buying aftermarket taillights and door handles for my 09 or '10.

MercedesTech 09-22-2008 02:35 PM

Also whats nice, is a lower crawl ratio (FX4 gets 41:1) and a rear locker (FINALLY !!!! )

Also, i heard they are making the suspension "more flexable". They showed it scored higher then the regular 4x4 on the RTI ramp. Also, they mentioned making "real" skidplates vs. those crap splash guards the currently offer. Its cool to see them actually give you something when you order an off-road package, not just some different looks.

Power Kid 09-22-2008 03:42 PM

True enough, sorry I was referring to appearance.

MercedesTech 09-22-2008 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Power Kid (Post 3383803)
True enough, sorry I was referring to appearance.

Hey, no need to be sorry bud. Appearence does matter too. The 04-08's, the best "looking" truck, IMO, would be the FX4. Its nice to see, along with the good looks, they will actually be offering something that deserves the title of "off-road package, ya know ?
Although chrome handles ???? :mad:

I thought chrome was something of the past ! Oh well, if I got a new model, first thing to go would be those handles. I'll wait to see the diesels come out though. :beers:

Power Kid 09-22-2008 03:53 PM

This wknd I'm fueling up my all black 04 Fx4 Screw and this hot blonde walks out of the station and just stands there looking at my truck and then proceeds to tell me that that is one Damn nice looking truck. So I'm thinking not bad considering its almost 5 years old and has 164,000 miles. BTW she then jumped into her @ 98-01 rusty ram....

MercedesTech 09-22-2008 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Power Kid (Post 3383822)
This wknd I'm fueling up my all black 04 Fx4 Screw and this hot blonde walks out of the station and just stands there looking at my truck and then proceeds to tell me that that is one Damn nice looking truck. So I'm thinking not bad considering its almost 5 years old and has 164,000 miles. BTW she then jumped into her @ 98-01 rusty ram....

:rocker:

These 04-08 trucks just look soooooo damn nice !

I only have the XLT, but still, four years old and still getting compliments and people asking if its new ! Gotta love it. But 164k miles ?? :eek: You must be driving a chit load ! That or I am babying mine ! I only got 55K.

:beers:

mSaLL150 09-22-2008 05:19 PM

My truck is 5 years old with 90k miles, and people ask me all the time how new it is. I try to keep it clean so it really does look new a lot of the time (except during hunting season :o).

DearbornDerek 09-22-2008 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Power Kid (Post 3383703)
Checking out the colors on the FX4 on the 09 F150 site and I noticed that
i) the flares are now color matched. Nice and might I say finally! &
ii) They now have chrome door handles? Ok other than the hideous new tialights with their bright/chrome trim, there is no chrome on a FX4. So why give it chrome handles???? :eek: When I see a 04-08 with the aftermarket chrome I just laugh. I guess I'm buying aftermarket taillights and door handles for my 09 or '10.

Those pics are sooo wrong...Flares don't match (unless you have the grey two-tone) and the handles are not chrome (except maybe the plus package).

SteveVFX4 09-22-2008 10:07 PM

yeah, we already talked about this before, those gallery pics on the Ford website are waaaaay off!

You need to read the order guide, it really gives a great description about the features and options of all the truck models! For FX4, it clearly says Sterling Gray wheel lip moldings (fender flares). Sterling Gray must have replaced Dark Shadow grey which is the current color of the FX4 flares. And the door handles and mirror skull caps do come painted to match if you get the optional FX4 Luxury package. But no chrome is to be found on the FX4!

blackf-150 09-22-2008 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Power Kid (Post 3383822)

Wow how did u get that many miles on an 04, I am at 42K guess I am really slacking, BTW how many plug changes have u done and how did it go and when did u do the first one????:beers:

Power Kid 09-22-2008 11:56 PM

I drive a lot w/work. Plus for a long time was our only set of wheels. Re plugs: Well reading the forums I waited and waited knowing what was in store. Finally back this March with @ 150,000m I noticed my idle was getting rough when in gear. So I had it done. 6 of 8 broke, but he was able to eventually get them out w/o head removal. They were n bad shape. We put in the new one piece champions. Idle was even worse. 2 of them broke right away so piece would fall over tip causing rough idle, at speed comprresion would push up and it would be fine. Replaced those 2, good ever since.

Power Kid 09-22-2008 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4 (Post 3384351)
yeah, we already talked about this before, those gallery pics on the Ford website are waaaaay off!

You need to read the order guide, it really gives a great description about the features and options of all the truck models! For FX4, it clearly says Sterling Gray wheel lip moldings (fender flares). Sterling Gray must have replaced Dark Shadow grey which is the current color of the FX4 flares. And the door handles and mirror skull caps do come painted to match if you get the optional FX4 Luxury package. But no chrome is to be found on the FX4!

Thx. Now if only the Fx4 pillars were gloss like my 04.

SteveVFX4 09-23-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Power Kid (Post 3384539)
Thx. Now if only the Fx4 pillars were gloss like my 04.

All of the 04's and I think 05's had gloss pillars. Then they changed to flat black after that.

On the 09's, just the Platinum model has glossy pillars.

blackf-150 09-23-2008 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Power Kid (Post 3384534)
I drive a lot w/work. Plus for a long time was our only set of wheels. Re plugs: Well reading the forums I waited and waited knowing what was in store. Finally back this March with @ 150,000m I noticed my idle was getting rough when in gear. So I had it done. 6 of 8 broke, but he was able to eventually get them out w/o head removal. They were n bad shape. We put in the new one piece champions. Idle was even worse. 2 of them broke right away so piece would fall over tip causing rough idle, at speed comprresion would push up and it would be fine. Replaced those 2, good ever since.

Thanx for the info think I will have mine done at 50K and hope I am OK:beers:

fordmantpw 09-23-2008 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4 (Post 3384800)
All of the 04's and I think 05's had gloss pillars. Then they changed to flat black after that.

On the 09's, just the Platinum model has glossy pillars.

05's have flat black...at least mine does. :(