2009 - 2014 F-150

So why would you even bother getting a new F-150?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why would you even bother getting a new F-150?

Excluding those who need trucks for work, etc., why would you consider getting another low mpg truck with gas prices the way they are and their future uncertainty? I really think that within the next 2-3 years, we're going to see more/better electric and/or hybrid trucks that provide much better mpg. I plan to hold out myself. Just wondering why others wouldn't.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Guigster
I really think that within the next 2-3 years, we're going to see more/better electric and/or hybrid trucks that provide much better mpg.
I agree with you, but until then, people that can afford to drive gas guzzlers will continue to do so.

There's no doubt that US truck sales are declining and will continue to do so as fuel prices rise.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would rather drive my safe "gas guzzler" than die in an econobox.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Stealth
Id rather drive something thats paid off.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
i live in a small town. for the amount of kms i put on my truck its not really an issue. as for driving on the highway. two words, deer, moose. id rather be in a truck.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Exactly!

Remember, NHTSA crash star ratings and IIHS safety picks are all based on one of two types of tests.

1) Vehicle crashes into a barrier face which is 100% non-moveable.
2) Two nearly identical vehicles crash in to eachother.

When it comes to real world situations, vehicle mass is your friend.

Edit:
In case my first post was misleading. I am one of the people that will continue to drive a gas guzzler. I work in Crash Safety and it's not pretty when a F-350 and a Focus come in contact with eachother.

Last edited by baja150; 02-11-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by baja150
Edit:
In case my first post was misleading. I am one of the people that will continue to drive a gas guzzler. I work in Crash Safety and it's not pretty when a F-350 and a Focus come in contact with eachother.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-QWUyLVDLrA

Old 07-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by gators241987
Id rather drive something thats paid off.
my dad could park his f350 and buy a brand new fusion, and after payments for the car and insurance and gas he would still save money over what he is paying for diesel now along with being able to keep his truck....

Old 07-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by baja150
Exactly!

Remember, NHTSA crash star ratings and IIHS safety picks are all based on one of two types of tests.

1) Vehicle crashes into a barrier face which is 100% non-moveable.
2) Two nearly identical vehicles crash in to eachother.

When it comes to real world situations, vehicle mass is your friend.

Edit:
I will agree that mass is our friend, but didn't the smart car not only score higher then our F150, but also came out on top when tested head on against other full size vehicles? So maybe it can't be generalized that mass is always going to win?

I may be wrong on this, but I could have swore I read that when I was searching for a third vehicle. At any rate, I personally can't give up my truck but would love if it was easier on the gas so I wouldn't have to shop for another economy vehicle.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I understand the whole safety issue. That was the reason I waited for the '04 instead of getting an '03 when I bought my truck. And it's also the reason that when taking my daughters anywhere the truck still gets used. I actually just did buy a commuter car for just me going to and from work (50 miles per day). I figure on saving $2,000 in gas per year by just driving it to and from work. However, I'm sure I'm not alone in the growing economy car population, so the chances of getting into an accident with a massive behemoth are also reducing because people are getting away from them. There's less on the road.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338568

Old 07-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two words "Housing Bubble" the oil will be next. The high prices have now got everyones attention. People are clamoring for the hybrids etc and the manufacturers are shuttering plants and production of gas hogs. The demand for gas will drop significantly and so will the price of oil, not back to $2 a gallon, but well south of $3.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Well its got my attention. I don't want to get stuck in this perdicament again. I don't like my wallet being at the mercy of greedy b@stards who know how to manipulate the system. I get the feeling that a lot of other people feel the same way now too.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
the reasons?

size
comfort
safety
capability
durability
towing
hauling
off roading
carrying large/long items

Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
??

Originally Posted by Guigster
Excluding those who need trucks for work, etc., why would you consider getting another low mpg truck with gas prices the way they are and their future uncertainty? I really think that within the next 2-3 years, we're going to see more/better electric and/or hybrid trucks that provide much better mpg. I plan to hold out myself. Just wondering why others wouldn't.
2-3 years?? They have been talking about a diesel F-150 for the last couple years and it still won't be out until the 2010 model year.
How long has the Escape hybrid been out 3 or 4 years. At the time Ford said they will have more and more hybrid models and they still as of today have none. Suppose to have the Fusion this fall but who knows if that will happen.
The problem all manufacturers have with hybrids is batteries. They cannot get enough of them for the demand of the Escape. Toyo is having the same problem. Not sure what the problem is but my understanding is the batteries cannot be manufactured in the USA and whoever makes them cannot make them fast enough.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Could you imagine if Ford had made one of their attractive vehicles the hybrid instead of the butt-ugly Escape? I can't believe there is any demand for that thing, but whaddya know...

Why don't they make an Edge hybrid, or even the oft-rumored Fusion hybrid that mysteriously gets pushed back year after year? The Edge is a sharp-looking vehicle, would sell even more briskly with a hybrid version.

Of all their vehicles they choose the Escape... egads, I rather buy a Prius and that's coming from someone who's always bought American.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So why would you even bother getting a new F-150?