2009 - 2014 F-150

Future F-150 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Power Kid

2) It doesn't SUCK vs the competition like the 6.4 does. Every single comparo the new 6.4 is getting its doors blown off. Read the new Dec Popular Mechanics shootout... WOW we are slow.... and the Duramax was what 7mpg better empty and 3 loaded. Thats a huge diff. Part of that is due to 5 speed vs 6, but not nearly all. When you add in the perception of engine quality issues in with sub std performance, you really have to want to drive a Ford... Someone in the product group should be sent to Club Gitmo for this...
This is why last fall (for the farm) we bought a 2007 Chevy 3500 extend cab dually w/Duramax and this fall we bought a 2008 Chevy 3500 crew cab dually w/Duramax. We still have a 2005 F350 crew cab dually as well but couldn't risk getting screwed with the new 6.4L. I have already heard of several cases of new 08 Fords having their 6.4L replaced.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Well I have two "asks" of the new baby diesel:

1) it doesn't require a huge price premium like its big brother. Couple 000 sure, 4-6000+ no way, gimme the new 6.2L.

2) It doesn't SUCK vs the competition like the 6.4 does. Every single comparo the new 6.4 is getting its doors blown off. Read the new Dec Popular Mechanics shootout... WOW we are slow.... and the Duramax was what 7mpg better empty and 3 loaded. Thats a huge diff. Part of that is due to 5 speed vs 6, but not nearly all. When you add in the perception of engine quality issues in with sub std performance, you really have to want to drive a Ford... Someone in the product group should be sent to Club Gitmo for this...
Slooooow down, Grasshopper! You may, and I'm not pointing fingers - but just looking at your screen name, you may be one of those guys who could always be starved for more power with a diesel regardless of how much it puts out. Many of us don't really care if we are the fastest, put out more horsepower, more torque, etc. What is this "engine qualiity issue" stuff. Is this the "baggage" Ford will carry to their grave because of the 6.0L launch? You know what they say... "Build a bridge and they call you a bridge builder. Suck one !@#$% and theycal you a...." well, you know.

The 6.4L is currently doing much better than most think. If you read the forums where most come to crab about how they are getting screwed, you'll find the sob stories. I have several personal friends that own truck dealerships, and others who do service work on smokers, and the 6.4L has basically been spending it's time on the road - not in the shop. For a guy like me, who depends on their truck daily because I have to be at work, I'd have no issues owning one today. In fact, for someone who puts on a fair amount of mileage quickly, I still have no complaints about the 6.0L's I have owned, and in all the construction busines I am in, most of the diesel guys I know drive Fords. I have yet to find someone who has gone through the early 2003 problems.

Spend some time on the diesel sites, if you have not already. All three have their share of problems with Uncle Sam's new requirements. Dodge, Ford, or GM - their no different. As for this 7mpg better stuff, read real life stories - they are all getting about the same with the new fuel and DPF's. Yes, the Isuzu makes more power and torque, but does it really matter? The Ford still has the bigger payloads and hauling capacities. Ford assumes people buy their Superduties to work. They build them that way. The horsepower wars will always be there. So, what's wrong with Ford taking a different approach and going for being on top with what makes a truck a REAL truck... payload and trailering? Last time I checked, you can soup up an engine and tranny to make it hot. Any brand, any manufacturer, any fuel type. The chassis aren't stamped "rated at maximum 400hp", so the sky's basically the limit (if you want to upgrade trannys, rear ends, etc...). But, I really don't think you can just go out and add some better shocks, airbags, and some angle iron to the frame rails to make your truck pick up a few more hundred pounds payload, or a few thousand pounds trailer capacity. Let's face it, today's diesels can pull and haul much more than we could years ago, and do it with power to spare and in much quicker times, but there will always be someone faster. Where does it end? Is Ford really not listening? I think their #1 truck status still says they know trucks. Why should they put their eggs in one basket to cross the finish line first with a vehicle not designed for it? Buy a Mustang to race. Buy a Superduty to haul. Buy a Passat for economy.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 AM
alot of people never seem to mention the maintenance between the big 3 either. the dodge will run you way more maintenance cost than the Fords and the 5.9L cummins is nothing compared to what it used to be. I deal with alot of fleet companies dealing with oilfield, hotshot, etc services. 95% of them are going to Ford because they are much more reliable. The Dodges do not hold up well offroad, the air filters get sucks into the intake tube and need to be changed almost every week and the fuel filters plug so fast you need to change them almost every oil change. The air filter and fuel filters on the Fords are around the 40k range for changing, they cost more but last alot longer. I have not heard too many complaints from the duramax but then again we have very few fleets who use them so I dont see a whole lot of them that are used hard. But the ones i do see are very low ground clearance and wouldnt stand the tarsands up here all that well IMO.

On the whole emission issue Ford has gone to a CJ-4 oil spec instead of the tradition CJ-I in an effort reduce emissions. Dont know if it is working but there is no synthetic out with that spec yet, out here atleast that i know of anyways

edit, actually amsoil does meet the requirement, my bad

Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey those are my two asks. You can have yours, I have mine. What I don't need is a lecture. You should work for Fords Marketing dept I read all the same stuff you do. If my screen name " Power Kid" was such a big deal why would I be driving the least powerful full size pickup? Obviously I'm aware of all the other considerations... That said, The real world guys I'm talking to agree the new 6.4L is not that great in the MPG dept. Do they ever b*tch about wanting more power..... not that I hear, but head to head the real world consesus out here with owners is that the Duramax is better. And while I understand all the other considerations, if hypothetically (I hope) the 09 does not have an improved powertrain, I will go to another manufacturer... And beleive me I'm a Ford guy as much as anyone. And thats why it bothers me when continually lag behind in the powertrain dept, and thats across pretty much the whole product line. We're always playing catchup... The exception used to be the Diesel SD, not anymore... Now we can even screw that up. and while I agree 99% of 6.4 owners will not have any unsual mechanical issues, the tailpipe torch issue and the cold weather seizing turbo issue up here did not start the 6.4 w a good reputation. And thats on the 6.4, not leftovers from the 6.0.

Quick Reply: Future F-150 Diesel