2009 - 2014 F-150

Fuel Door Hindge Problem: One issue resolved.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Door Hindge Problem: One issue resolved.

Just before New Years I decided to fill up the gas tank. The temperature during the day was around plus 3 C with a bit of wet snow. They dropped down to -10 C within a few hours ... was cold with the wind. I arrived at the pumps and opened the fuel door. 4/4's of the way open I hear a crunching sound and the door starts to droop. I filled the tank and closed the fuel door. It would not stay closed and would sort of flop around a bit. Great ... need to visit the dealer for repair. They told me the hindge was broken and they needed to order the part in. I was scheduled to return on Jan 2nd after they phoned me ... no call.

A week went by ... no call, so I went to the dealer close to my office. They ordered the part and said it would be in at 8:30 AM next day. They called me at 8:25 to say it was in. I came by and picked it up and was going to replace it myself as the first dealer said it was not under warranty?!?!?!? Part was $54 which is not bad. They also sold me a nice and warm Ford Vest for 1/2 price ...

The fuel housing assembly is 9L3Z-9927936-B

I had not worked on this before so it seemed simple enough and did it in my driveway just before a freezing rain storm came in. The three bolts came off easy enough, but getting the housing out was a bit tricky at night outside and rain coming. I did manage to pry it out after breaking off a few pieces. It seems there are indent where one can sort of push it in to pop part of it out the body. These need to be accessed from behind the wheel well (I found out a bit later).

Once the unit was out, there was nothing broken on the housing. The hindge pin (plastic) had popped up about an inch and coming out of its hole in the bottom of the housing. This pin has a slot on it that slides into the housing's hindge to keep it (pin) from moving and allowing the door to open & spring to work properly. Since I have 5 1/2' bed, the stake pockets are covered. With the 6 1/2', the cap can be removed to gain access to this pin from the top to try and get it back into position with a little effort. The fuel door cover comes off quite easily by prying out on the little clip and sliding the cap away.

One thing I did notice was the mileage dropped from 14 to 19 liters/100 KM as the door is an intregal part of sealing the fuel system. So ensure the rubber seals around the fuel filler pipe seats well and the housing is properly seated and the fuel door cap seated for a good seal. Getting the housing in took a bit of playing with in above conditions. It took me a total of 20 minutes OUTSIDE in poor weather and poor lighting, we Canucks are hearty, to do the swap out. Mileage is now back to normal and the fuel door works well & seals well. This is what I did to correct my problem.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaak
Just before New Years I decided to fill up the gas tank. The temperature during the day was around plus 3 C with a bit of wet snow. They dropped down to -10 C within a few hours ... was cold with the wind. I arrived at the pumps and opened the fuel door. 4/4's of the way open I hear a crunching sound and the door starts to droop. I filled the tank and closed the fuel door. It would not stay closed and would sort of flop around a bit. Great ... need to visit the dealer for repair. They told me the hindge was broken and they needed to order the part in. I was scheduled to return on Jan 2nd after they phoned me ... no call.

A week went by ... no call, so I went to the dealer close to my office. They ordered the part and said it would be in at 8:30 AM next day. They called me at 8:25 to say it was in. I came by and picked it up and was going to replace it myself as the first dealer said it was not under warranty?!?!?!? Part was $54 which is not bad. They also sold me a nice and warm Ford Vest for 1/2 price ...

The fuel housing assembly is 9L3Z-9927936-B

I had not worked on this before so it seemed simple enough and did it in my driveway just before a freezing rain storm came in. The three bolts came off easy enough, but getting the housing out was a bit tricky at night outside and rain coming. I did manage to pry it out after breaking off a few pieces. It seems there are indent where one can sort of push it in to pop part of it out the body. These need to be accessed from behind the wheel well (I found out a bit later).

Once the unit was out, there was nothing broken on the housing. The hindge pin (plastic) had popped up about an inch and coming out of its hole in the bottom of the housing. This pin has a slot on it that slides into the housing's hindge to keep it (pin) from moving and allowing the door to open & spring to work properly. Since I have 5 1/2' bed, the stake pockets are covered. With the 6 1/2', the cap can be removed to gain access to this pin from the top to try and get it back into position with a little effort. The fuel door cover comes off quite easily by prying out on the little clip and sliding the cap away.

One thing I did notice was the mileage dropped from 14 to 19 liters/100 KM as the door is an intregal part of sealing the fuel system. So ensure the rubber seals around the fuel filler pipe seats well and the housing is properly seated and the fuel door cap seated for a good seal. Getting the housing in took a bit of playing with in above conditions. It took me a total of 20 minutes OUTSIDE in poor weather and poor lighting, we Canucks are hearty, to do the swap out. Mileage is now back to normal and the fuel door works well & seals well. This is what I did to correct my problem.
If you're under 36k miles, you still have bumper to bumper warranty. That part would be covered, and free. If you're over 36k, it would not be covered.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I am a little concerned with this design considering the lack of a fuel cap on the new ones. Also, rumor has it that there is only one internal fuel filter now too.

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
If you're under 36k miles, you still have bumper to bumper warranty. That part would be covered, and free. If you're over 36k, it would not be covered.
30,000 kilometers on the clock. I have a 5 year coverage, but the Body Shop guy said it was not covered. I won't be going back to that dealer again.

The one close to my office is better and hey, the cost was not that great. I just wanted it fixed and ordered it in. Easy to rplace so it was no sweat for me. If it was more, I would definitly raise a stink about it. Plus I learned from it as well ...

Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Bump as a few folks have questions.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Had the exact same thing on my 2010 with 45K miles on it. Bought the part, took mine out to replace and realized it wasn't even broken! Took the part back to the dealer and on I went.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the door sealing anything though, maybe Canadian trucks have a different standard for the fuel filler door than US trucks? Mine is just at ascetic "cover", it has no dealing properties at all.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
I guess I am a little concerned with this design considering the lack of a fuel cap on the new ones. Also, rumor has it that there is only one internal fuel filter now too.

Thoughts?
I bought a locking 'fuel plug' at my local stealer for 19$us.

I've seen plenty of debris enter thru the fuel door even tho my '10 has a rubber seal around the door.

Won't do any good for fuel thieves, cuz they'll puncture the fuel tank if'n they want it bad enough.

I bought mine to keep debris outta the fuel filter.

And if anyone springs the dough for a locking plug, get a MasterLock tailgate lock to help prevent theft of your tailgate, too.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by High-ster; 07-19-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM
hsh
Gas Cap Door Problems on 2012 F150

The gas cap door sprung for no apparent reason on my 2012 F150 at 36,987 klms. Dealer said it would not be covered under warranty, that I had broken it and charged me $144 for the repair. I was shocked at their response and talked to two other dealers about the problem since then. Both say that they have replaced may of these doors (but not through the warranty). I am wondering if others have knowledge of this problem on newer models and how wide spread it might be. If you have had your gas cap door housing replaced on a 2011 or newer model, did you pay for it or did the dealership absorb the cost? Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by hsh
The gas cap door sprung for no apparent reason on my 2012 F150 at 36,987 klms. Dealer said it would not be covered under warranty, that I had broken it and charged me $144 for the repair. I was shocked at their response and talked to two other dealers about the problem since then. Both say that they have replaced may of these doors (but not through the warranty). I am wondering if others have knowledge of this problem on newer models and how wide spread it might be. If you have had your gas cap door housing replaced on a 2011 or newer model, did you pay for it or did the dealership absorb the cost? Any comments would be appreciated.
The door on my 2012 F150 needed to be replaced due to the one part of the hinge breaking, causing it to stay partially open. This wasn't something that happened overnight, I had noticed the door wasn't closing the way it should and one day it just came loose on one side.

My Ford dealer replaced the door free of charge, told me that it was under warranty, and informed me that this seemed to be a common with the 2012s, for some reason. My mileage at the time was around 11K, I believe.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 AM
no one is explaining how to properly remove gas door assembly

Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 AM
I know this links to the "other f150 forum" but i posted a decent write up over there...

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/fuel-door-repair-264621/

Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM
2014 XLT Supercrew... Same exact problem.

Originally Posted by hsh
If you have had your gas cap door housing replaced on a 2011 or newer model, did you pay for it or did the dealership absorb the cost? Any comments would be appreciated.
Same thing happened to my 2014 F150 during blistering cold on a trip between Colorado and south Texas. Heard a "snap!" while refueling somewhere in West Texas. Haven't had time to fix it yet. My youngest son is a former Ford mechanic. He suggested I glue magnets on the filler door... Probably last longer than fixing a Ford part! LOLSMH!

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Hindge Problem: One issue resolved.