2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost

Today, I was traveling with my brother in law from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I have a 2011 Lariat Ecoboost max trailer tow package pulling a travel trailer trailer weighing approximately 9,000 lbs (fully loaded). About half way up the 5-6% grade that lasted approximately 5-6 miles, the temperature guage went almost to red and I backed off and dropped into 2nd gear and turned off AC. From that point, the temperature gauge immediately dropped to 3/4 of the gauge (normally running slightly below 1/2). I tried to adjust my speed to get the engine to cool down and the temperature gauge would bounce back up close to red and back down to 3/4 based on me letting off on the accelerator. I was trying to balance between accelerating to make the climb up versus letting off to keep the temperature down. I stopped at a rest stop and after 30 minutes, I started the second climb (If you are familiar with the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff, you know the climb I'm talking about) and the same thing happened, but this time, I got a two warning messages. The first warning indicated the engine was reducing power to keep from overheating. I slowed my speed immediately, and the temperature reduced to 3/4 again (needle was moving very quickly up and down...very sensitive to speed and gear shifting). At this point, I'm in third gear traveling at about 40 mph between 2000 and 2500 rpms and then it goes very close to red. Then, I get another message indicating engine overheating. I immediately slow down.... I make it up the climb, but I didn't think I was going to make it. I was traveling with my brother-n-law who has a 2010 FX4 5.4L (no max tow package) towing 8000 pounds and he literally left me in the dust (no joke here). This truck has towed like a dream traveling from Austin to Phoenix until I hit this climb. Has anyone experienced these type of issues with their Ecoboost. Need help as I heading to Durango in three days.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 AM
just to check, were you running premium gas? heat and hills say use of premium is a best practice. if not, perhaps pulling a bit of power to prevent knock was enough to heat things up a bit?

it's all i got, sorry

Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 AM

It's got to be a problem with just YOUR truck...i mean, how could this be, everyone harpes on these new engines being "godlike" and how the 5.4L is like an old dog with arthritis. The Ford torture tests on this engine also shows them towing up hill in the desert without issue...so how could this be? (note the sarcasm)

How were the tranny temps?

Last edited by ruffn-it; 08-01-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
First off, you state the 5.4L outperforms the 3.5L TT EcoBoost. But your thread has nothing to do with performance, it is about a fault you are suffering with your engine. Its brand new. Why bother asking questions on an online forum and not go to your dealership and let him fix it?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adamdf
Today, I was traveling with my brother in law from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I have a 2011 Lariat Ecoboost max trailer tow package pulling a travel trailer trailer weighing approximately 9,000 lbs (fully loaded). About half way up the 5-6% grade that lasted approximately 5-6 miles, the temperature guage went almost to red and I backed off and dropped into 2nd gear and turned off AC. From that point, the temperature gauge immediately dropped to 3/4 of the gauge (normally running slightly below 1/2). I tried to adjust my speed to get the engine to cool down and the temperature gauge would bounce back up close to red and back down to 3/4 based on me letting off on the accelerator. I was trying to balance between accelerating to make the climb up versus letting off to keep the temperature down. I stopped at a rest stop and after 30 minutes, I started the second climb (If you are familiar with the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff, you know the climb I'm talking about) and the same thing happened, but this time, I got a two warning messages. The first warning indicated the engine was reducing power to keep from overheating. I slowed my speed immediately, and the temperature reduced to 3/4 again (needle was moving very quickly up and down...very sensitive to speed and gear shifting). At this point, I'm in third gear traveling at about 40 mph between 2000 and 2500 rpms and then it goes very close to red. Then, I get another message indicating engine overheating. I immediately slow down.... I make it up the climb, but I didn't think I was going to make it. I was traveling with my brother-n-law who has a 2010 FX4 5.4L (no max tow package) towing 8000 pounds and he literally left me in the dust (no joke here). This truck has towed like a dream traveling from Austin to Phoenix until I hit this climb. Has anyone experienced these type of issues with their Ecoboost. Need help as I heading to Durango in three days.
This is exactly what I am refering to in real world testing! If that was my truck I would have let it overheat & blow up, then deliver it 1st thing Monday morning on a flatbed to your Ford dealers doorstep & let them deal with it since your under factory warranty!.......

Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
This is exactly what I am refering to in real world testing! If that was my truck I would have let it overheat & blow up, then deliver it 1st thing Monday morning on a flatbed to your Ford dealers doorstep & let them deal with it since your under factory warranty!.......
I'm not sure about letting it blow up, but for sure Ford needs to look into this.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Do you have any mods on your truck?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
First off, you state the 5.4L outperforms the 3.5L TT EcoBoost. But your thread has nothing to do with performance, it is about a fault you are suffering with your engine. Its brand new. Why bother asking questions on an online forum and not go to your dealership and let him fix it?
Hmm, according to my understanding of the word "performance", and thus quoted from Dictionary.com:

per·for·mance: the execution or accomplishment of work, acts, feats, etc.

His Ecoboost couldn't get up the hill (execute) without overheating severely so he had to stop or slow down, where as the 5.4L F150 had no issues on said same hill. Ergo, his Ecoboost couldn't perform as well (was out-performed) as the "discontinued" 5.4L F150 in this particular scenario.

He didn't say that ALL 5.4L out-perform ALL Ecoboosts under ALL conditions. Is it due to a faulty part on his vehicle only? Could be. But it doesn't change the fact that his statement is still technically correct.

Many people have used the word "performance" in the context of "high performance" or speed contests which may have altered your understanding of the basic definition of "performance."

Last edited by Augster; 08-01-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I read this as:

1. The EB truck wasn't operating properly
2. The 5.4L WAS operating properly

Regardless of engine, Ford trucks seldom overheat unless mods have overpowered the cooling package. Chevy trucks seldom overheat. Dodge trucks seldom overheat. Toyota trucks seldom overheat. Its not something that happens much anymore.

Here's my checklist:

1. Radiator coolant level, and is there an air bubble trapped in cooling system?
2. Fins plugged?
3. Fins blown flat by pressure washer?
4. If no to all of the above, dealer trip is in order

Even though I have a 5.4L 09 that tows GREAT, it shouldn't hold a hill as well as the EB, when equipped with like gearing, tires, and trailer.

-Andy

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If it were mine I'd be taking it to the dealer......something could be wrong and that's what warranty is used for.....

Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
What was the temp that day? Turbos and heat don't get along that well.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Most defianetly interested in seeing the outcome of what the dealer tells you. I would for sure get it in and looked at. Possibly try and duplicate it again this time have a video camera for your safe keepings.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I've driven that grade in a '95 F150 XL longbed with a 4.9L and 5 speed trans. It sounds like the Turbo's were under full boost most of the climb. So, I can see why it overheated. Take it to the dealer and let them run their diagnostic. It's a new truck under warranty.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Last time I heard something like this was on the 6.0L diesel forums. Your exact symptoms were theirs and all the trucks had blown head gaskets (very common on a 6.oh-no). They would only overheat while towing and going up hill, but otherwise run fine. It definitely sounds like something is wrong with your truck.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
FYI: I was using 89 octane fuel. When we started the climb, the outside temp was roughly 100 degrees and I think the problem is that heat gets trapped between the rock walls on each side of the road as you are gaining in elevation making it a very difficult climb for all vehicles. There were probably four maybe five vehicles along the way that were pulled over on the side that had overheated. When we got to the campground, we were going thru all the potential scenerios in our mind as to why this might be happening because my brother-in-law said the temp gauge needle on his 5.4L never moved. We think my truck must definitely be malfunctioning. We checked the fluid level on the radiator and it was OK, and the radiator was not overly dirty (normal bugs and a little debris). I called the local ford dealership (this morning), here in flagstaff, and they want to keep my truck for the day to run it thru a diagnostics test but I can't leave it for the day because we are on vacation and they don't have a loaner vehicle to give me. The transmission temp gauge never moved at all and up until I started these two climbs, my temp gauge needle never moved at all. We stayed at the Davis Mountains state park and I had no problem traveling into the park the day before. It was only when I was going up the two 5 to 6 percent grade climbs from Phoenix to Flagstaff that I had a problem. My dad was thinking the thermostat could be malfunctioning (not sure what kind of technology they have on these new trucks). I was very stressed trying to make it to the top without damaging the engine (although the computer reduces power automatically to prevent that from happening, I was stilled very stressed out about it). Anyway, I may stop by the dealership here in the afternoon to talk directly to a service tech and see if he can hook it up and tell me something without having to leave it for the day...stay tuned.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4L outperforms 2011 ecoboost