F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Upgrading Double DIN Radio to something more modern (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/520845-upgrading-double-din-radio-something-more-modern.html)

Anthony Edu 05-14-2019 11:40 AM

Upgrading Double DIN Radio to something more modern

Thinking of upgrading my Radio to a touchscreen unit capable of everything a late-model vehicle has these days (Bluetooth, MP3, Internet, Backup camera ready, CD, DVD, GPS, microwave, etc). I use an Android for a phone and was wondering how many here have gone this route with updating their Radio unit and what brand did you go with?

SoonerTruck 05-14-2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony Edu (Post 5250393)
Thinking of upgrading my Radio to a touchscreen unit capable of everything a late-model vehicle has these days (Bluetooth, MP3, Internet, Backup camera ready, CD, DVD, GPS, microwave, etc). I use an Android for a phone and was wondering how many here have gone this route with updating their Radio unit and what brand did you go with?

Haven't done anything in my current truck, but I've been pretty happy with Pioneer head units for previous vehicles and boats. They always had a ton more features than the factory units had anyway. I've never had any issues with the 4-5 Pioneer units I've installed, one as recently as a year ago. I've always liked Alpine equipment, too, but they were a bit pricier/fewer features than Pioneer.

Fun fact: the Nav unit in the 04-08 F-150's/Navigators/etc was made by Pioneer.

ManualF150 05-14-2019 01:54 PM

In my teenage years I liked Blaupunkt.

I did a custom install of 2 Blaupunkt decks in my '99 F150. I had a Pasadena CD71 and a New Orleans MD70. Carved out space with a Dremel. :)

Now I'm a Pioneer guy.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P7600MP in my F150 and Pioneer DEH-P6700MP in my '00 Dakota. Both look identical too. Only difference is one is XM labeled (doesn't mean anything), and the other is "Sat Ready" labeled.

SoonerTruck 05-14-2019 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ManualF150 (Post 5250395)
In my teenage years I liked Blaupunkt.

I did a custom install of 2 Blaupunkt decks in my '99 F150. I had a Pasadena CD71 and a New Orleans MD70. Carved out space with a Dremel. :)

Now I'm a Pioneer guy.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P7600MP in my F150 and Pioneer DEH-P6700MP in my '00 Dakota. Both look identical too. Only difference is one is XM labeled (doesn't mean anything), and the other is "Sat Ready" labeled.

My first HU install was a Pioneer DEB-P835R. It was a fantastic unit with tons of functionality and one of the first models to feature the "RDS" output so it would show traffic alerts and song/station ID info if the station broadcast it. It also had 3 sets of RCA pre-outs w/subwoofer volume control/remote and hidden CD tray with flip-down faceplate. It was about the fanciest thing Pioneer had back in the mid-90's. I think I installed that same unit in 3 different cars, lol.

Blaupunkt made some solid HUs, they just had a bland aesthetic appearance back in the 90's which was probably a holdover from making factory units for BMW. Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony had the flashing lights and dazzling displays, lol.

ManualF150 05-14-2019 08:19 PM

Main reason why I had the two Blaupunkt decks was because I was starting a MiniDisc collection. So I needed both medias in the truck. I mostly used the MiniDisc, because I could make my own mix-trax discs. I had a Sony MD recorder... Plus I just loved the MD format.

Something about new tech at the time made me love it.

Now I look at my MiniDisc collection, and I think... seriously?! LOL

I also have a Pioneer LaserDisc player. At least it's more useful... it can play 1 LD or 5 DVDs/CDs/VCDs and I still use it.

Never got in on Blueray, except for computer archival (backups). Even then, I'm now just using HDD's in a dock and put them in a safe. I just rotate them every month. Much faster and easier than stupid discs...

JackandJanet 05-15-2019 10:12 AM

I put a remanufactured Kenwood unit in my old 2005 KR to replace the OEM radio. It was about half the price of a new unit and it worked perfectly. I had to get a Ford radio harness to hook it up and as I recall that was about $25. I got both of these online. The new unit had a 7" screen, as I remember.

It was a fairly easy DIY install. The radio surround comes off the dashboard without much trouble and I think I had to remove the tray on top of the dashboard too. After that, it was just plugnplay. I put the satellite nav antenna under the dashboard up near the base of the windshield and it had no trouble connecting. A bit later, I wired in a backup camera to the radio which was also pretty simple. I was able to connect my steering wheel controls to the radio too. Once installed, it looked "factory".

I like Pioneer products too, so get what you think has the best features. I applaud your decision to do this. I think it was the most satisfying mod I did to that truck.

- Jack