F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Brake Pad Advise (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/520583-brake-pad-advise.html)

Johns331 03-31-2019 06:06 AM

Brake Pad Advise

I have a 2006 5.4 SCab, replaced the brake pads and rotors several years ago and now have about 35K on the pads and rotors, and the pads are just about gone. They are EBC Yellow pads. The truck is used as a daily driver and sees combined city and freeway driving and I was expecting a bit more from the EBC pads. From a performance standpoint, I haven't been too happy with the EBC pads, pedal has been softer than the original pads , despite several brake bleeds using a pressure bleeder along with brake fluid changes. And the braking performance hasn't been any better than the OEM pads. I'm using the Centric 2 piece hub/rotor assembly and have had no problems with them.
Anyone have a recommendation on brake pads? Thanks, John

ManualF150 03-31-2019 09:18 AM

I rank them this way:

1. Wagner Thermoquiet
2. Powerstop
3. Motorcraft

All 3 are good replacements. Even Motorcraft neck and neck with with Powerstop in my opinion. Reason I like the Wagner Thermoquiet is barely any brake dust. But on the vehicles I've installed them on, there is brake fade when towing.

As far as braking performance, the only "seat in the pants" feel you'll get is with larger calipers and rotors.

When I replace folks brakes on Ford vehicles, I stick with Motorcraft -- as I get consistent results.

glc 03-31-2019 10:20 AM

I had a set of Centric ceramic front pads last 115k on the front of mine.

Johns331 03-31-2019 11:10 AM

Thanks! Just ordered a pair of rotors and the Powerstop pads from Rockauto.com

SoonerTruck 04-01-2019 02:21 PM

I've used the Centric 2-pc rotor on my F-150 and Powerstop Evolution pads. No complaints here. As far as "brake pedal feel", I doubt the pads have much to do with that. I'd imagine the biggest change in feel you can make, short of changing out calipers/rotors to a bigger brake kit, is to get SS braided lines to replace the rubber hoses at each caliper. The SS braided lines don't allow the aged factory rubber hoses to expand under heavy brake pressures and will result in a better "feel" from the brake pedal. It's not going to be world-changing, but it will offer a less spongy feel.

Roadie 04-01-2019 04:26 PM

I've always used semi-metallic pads that I usually buy from Autozone. They will grip better than ceramic pads speaking in general and they last a very long time. Ceramic pads are chosen mostly because they don't get the wheels dirty.

tbear853 04-01-2019 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 5248839)
I've always used semi-metallic pads that I usually buy from Autozone. They will grip better than ceramic pads speaking in general and they last a very long time. Ceramic pads are chosen mostly because they don't get the wheels dirty.

Metalic pads also have a faster grip or "grab factor" when brakes are applied cold and they absorb heat, saving the rotors some.

Ceramics act as insulators and thus leave more heat in the rotors, they have less grip when cold, wear rotors more. Large reason brake rotors are larger these days.

Couple years ago, redoing brakes on a car, I went with ceramics …. and within a week had removed them to put faster acting metalics on. Difference was noticeable.

jr105 04-01-2019 07:42 PM

I put a set of ceramic pads on the '04 I had and they came with a disclaimer in the box saying they weren't recommended for use towing trailers or carrying heavy loads. They kept my wheels clean, but they had noticeably less stopping power. I replaced them after a scary situation with an emergency stop.

ManualF150 04-01-2019 07:51 PM

That is why I like Motorcraft pads. They are semi-metallic. Gives the best of both worlds...

I guess you need to give up something... clean wheels or being able to stop when someone decides a yellow is red at the last second.

Johns331 04-08-2019 08:58 PM

Got the pads and front rotors changed. One of the front pads had a piece of steel embedded in it and that was causing most all the noise. It also cut a groove in the rotor. On the rears, pads were good but one of the caliper pins/bolts had seized and caused one of the pad guides or what ever they are called, to slide out of position and it was hitting the inside of the wheel. A quick trip to ORileys got me a new brake hardware kit, lubed it all up and it now stops as good as new.