F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Newbie with a Programmer (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/520400-newbie-programmer.html)

Silas83 03-01-2019 12:22 PM

Newbie with a Programmer

Hey Guys,
I have a 2007 F150 Supercrew 2WD 5.4 that Im currently starting to build her up a bit. I have researched programmers and decided to buy the Edge CS2 Evolution. I also bought a S&B CAI with a Flowmaster 70 series exhaust (single inlet and outlet. Planning on a turndown tip under the bed). I was wonder if anyone has this set up or really close to it and could give me a little insight into what I'm about to get. I do know the CAI is compatible with the Programmer. I just barely caught that before I made the final purchase. I also just installed the 2" front level and purchased brand new BF Goodrich KO2 tires 285/55R20 on factory rims. All info and help is appreciated!!

glc 03-01-2019 03:26 PM

It's too bad you bought the Edge. With a SCT, you can get datalogged custom tunes from one of the reputable tuning houses. Nobody is allowed to custom tune an Edge any more.

Silas83 03-01-2019 04:02 PM

That does suck. This is my first tuner to ever buy and was hoping I could get it beefed up a little more just in case. Thats particularly why I went with the CS2. Just my luck Brotha! Always a day and a dolla short!

Fifty150 03-02-2019 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Silas83 (Post 5247726)
Flowmaster 70 series exhaust (single inlet and outlet.

On my truck, the big OEM muffler, and everything behind it was cut off and removed. Then added a glasspack muffler, with a turn-down tip right after the muffler. Same effect. Only cost less than half of what a "kit" would have cost.

Silas83 03-03-2019 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fifty150 (Post 5247754)
On my truck, the big OEM muffler, and everything behind it was cut off and removed. Then added a glasspack muffler, with a turn-down tip right after the muffler. Same effect. Only cost less than half of what a "kit" would have cost.

You get alot of drone in the cab?

ManualF150 03-03-2019 08:28 AM

Probably not much with a turned down tip.

Fifty150 03-03-2019 05:50 PM

Exhaust is one of those topics where everyone will have an opinion. Most people will agree with wanting a less restrictive, free flowing exhaust, for better performance. Then there is the consideration that you simply can't cut everything off, because back-pressure is needed.

With the turn-down, the "noise" or "exhaust note" is pointed at the ground. As opposed to exhaust tips, which flare like a speaker cone, and point out. As you guess, exhaust tips are merely for looks and to amplify & direct sound, not performance. You get the right tip, and you like the sound, then you point it outward so that everyone can hear it. "Drone" is just whatever noise from the exhaust system that is making it's way into your cab.

Bigger and longer OEM style mufflers will absorb noise, with the pipe directing what is left out towards the rear of the vehicle. Not just so that people you pass will get a good earful of your mighty engine. For safety, you want those toxic fumes routed to the rear so that the gasses don't rise into your truck cab and kill you. Side exit exhaust look cool, but the fumes will rise and blow in your window, or the window of the car in the next lane. I chose a muffler with enough length, so that the exhaust blows out behind the cab, under the truck bed, in front of the rear axle. No, it is not meant to sound cool or look good. My exhaust gasses do not have to travel down all the extra pipe & bends, so it is more free flowing compared to stock. As my exhaust fumes exit, they dissipate towards the ground and out towards the wheel well. My truck is lifted, so there is plenty of airflow, without fear of exhaust fumes collecting under the truck.

Look under some cars, and you will see a combination of various mufflers, resonators, et cetera. You want to balance and mange your exhaust flow, with the exhaust note, so that you aren't choking your engine or annoying people. Now the question is how to make your truck sound good, perform at optimal level, and not kill yourself. This is why there are so many exhaust kits & designs on the market, and people have lengthy discussions on forums.

Silas83 03-04-2019 07:25 AM

I dont want a whole lot of cab noise but I still want me exhaust to to have a good flow to it. Thats why my original plan was to have a turn down in front or behind the rear axle. I wanted something that has a decent sound to it but I can still have a conversation. Something low and mild.

glc 03-04-2019 10:21 AM

If you don't want cab noise, the pipe or pipes need to exit from under the truck behind the rear wheels, like the stock location.

SoonerTruck 03-04-2019 10:42 AM

^ What GLC said. If you don't want drone, the Flowmaster is not the option, and the exhaust exit should be behind the rear axle. I'd recommend the the 18" Magnaflow if you still want to have a healthy roar without the drone. If you just want a notch above factory volume, they also have a 22" model. Not sure why you're only doing a SI/SO setup, but to each their own. I run the 18" model with angled tips out the back and like it. No drone in cab, and once you're in overdrive with the converter locked up above 40mph, you really can't hear it too much so it makes driving down the highway nice. You definitely hear it once you drop down a gear or on first start up/acceleration. Just my .02.

ckforker 03-04-2019 07:55 PM

Can't you still customize the parameters in the Edge? I've changed all kinds of stuff in mine, tire size, shift points, timing etc. have a buddy that got a custom tune from them years ago, and it doesn't seem to perform much better than mine. If I go back to stock, it can't be changed? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wouldn't want the OP to think he can't change it at all, unless I'm wrong.

Bluejay 03-04-2019 07:59 PM

Yes. You can change the things you mentioned. You can’t change things such as air/fuel ratios or shift points.

Silas83 03-04-2019 08:40 PM

Thanks Guys. I will be running it out the back for sure. I chose the siso because I really don't care to have exhaust pipes out the back or sides. I just wanted a turn down somewhere under the truck.

glc 03-04-2019 09:56 PM

A turndown anywhere under the truck will give you more cab drone than a pipe exiting in the stock location or straight out the back, and it's more susceptible to exhaust getting sucked into the cab. That's why the stock pipe exits where it does. If you tow, straight out the back is not a good choice.

Silas83 03-04-2019 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 5247817)
A turndown anywhere under the truck will give you more cab drone than a pipe exiting in the stock location or straight out the back, and it's more susceptible to exhaust getting sucked into the cab. That's why the stock pipe exits where it does. If you tow, straight out the back is not a good choice.

So I should keep the pipe like it is. Exiting out the side behind the wheel?