2004 - 2008 F-150

Cam/timing job needed, socal recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam/timing job needed, socal recommendations?

I've owned a 2006 5.4 with 4wd for 5 years. Coming up on 200k miles, there have been a couple different sounds coming from the front end for the past 6 months that I believe are related to the cam phasers and timing chain based on my research.

Have not taken the truck to a shop yet and I know this is a bigger job than I want to get into on my own. Was wondering if there's anyone I could be referenced to in San Diego to take my truck to that is specifically experienced with the Triton motors and ironing out their can phaser issues and noises. Or even better if there's somebody on the site that could go through it and do a good 200k mile tune-up. I've already done the spark plugs and coils, I'd like to keep this truck for the long haul.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Spend the big bucks and take it to a Ford dealer.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Spend the big bucks and take it to a Ford dealer.
I'm posting on here looking for leads outside of Ford dealers - my experience with bringing an out of warranty vehicle to any kind of dealer is that you end up paying a few hundred bucks more than what a local mechanic would charge and they aren't necessarily any better. I've read lots of posts on this site where Ford charges a couple thousand bucks and the problem isn't even resolved.

Again, looking for someone reputable or somebody that someone has had experience working with.

So far I have the warm idle knock and constant sound of bearings whirling around in a can coming from the front of the engine. My understanding is that there are multiple parts along with the cam phasers and timing chain that need to be inspected and may or may not need to be replaced.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Bump!

I'm currently doing my timing chain job in my garage and would still like to know this information if something were to go wrong.... :-)

Old 03-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony Edu
Bump!

I'm currently doing my timing chain job in my garage and would still like to know this information if something were to go wrong.... :-)
Did you get it done? I live in Sacramento area, and am looking at same job, but my hands are getting bad, but I know I could do it.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by lenore
Did you get it done? I live in Sacramento area, and am looking at same job, but my hands are getting bad, but I know I could do it.
Yeah i just finished the job in my garage. It took some time but it's finally done. I upgraded the oil pump while i was in there too. Fordtechmakuloco has a great 4 part YouTube series to guide you through the process plus online Haynes manual for reference on torque specs and steps,etc . The tedious part of the job were the rocker arms. At least for me it was. Slowly but surely it all came back together nicely. In regards to this thread I haven't found any other shop than then the dealership that knew the Triton motors in and out. Although every mechanic I've talked too definitely know about the Ford F150s since they come through often for work to be done 😏 If you want to get it done right, DIY....😉

Old 04-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Red face

Yeah i just finished the job in my garage. It took some time but it's finally done. I upgraded the oil pump while i was in there too. Fordtechmakuloco has a great 4 part YouTube series to guide you through the process plus online Haynes manual for reference on torque specs and steps,etc . The tedious part of the job were the rocker arms. At least for me it was. Slowly but surely it all came back together nicely. In regards to this thread I haven't found any other shop than then the dealership that knew the Triton motors in and out. Although every mechanic I've talked too definitely know about the Ford F150s since they come through often for work to be done 😏 If you want to get it done right, DIY....😉
You the man, I viewed those you tube series, that guy is fantastic. a few years ago I wouldn't hesitate, but my hands are really getting bad, (arthiritis). How long did it take you approximately. I see where the rocker arms would be tedious. Just crawling over the engine to get everything is hard. So you spend about $1100 in parts?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Where your cam followers OK...? My truck has 133k miles, but I haven't had the valve covers off yet. Used full synthetic since day 1 and pretty well maintained. I went to a shop today and he said he sees the cam followers scored a lot. I don't know if he was speaking the truth, (could be some folks don't take care of their trucks) or trying to jack price. Just for the Phasers He wanted $800 in labor.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:44 PM
@lenore I'm not sure how your mechanic can tell if the roller followers are scored without actually taking them off valve head itself? I suppose you can tell from the camshaft lobes when the valve covers are off. However, my truck had ~190k when i removed the roller followers. THere were signs of scoring on the surface but very little play when i took them off to inpsect the bearings which is considered a thorough inspection. I didn't replace any of them but just cleaned them with brake cleaner and put them back to their home. I will replace them for sure on the next timing job (if I still have the truck by then)... :-) Anyhow, ~$1000 in labor for the whole timing job seems about right including the roller followers.

Quick Reply: Cam/timing job needed, socal recommendations?