Cam/timing job needed, socal recommendations? - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Cam/timing job needed, socal recommendations? >

Cam/timing job needed, socal recommendations?

2004 - 2008 F-150

Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM

I've owned a 2006 5.4 with 4wd for 5 years. Coming up on 200k miles, there have been a couple different sounds coming from the front end for the past 6 months that I believe are related to the cam phasers and timing chain based on my research.

Have not taken the truck to a shop yet and I know this is a bigger job than I want to get into on my own. Was wondering if there's anyone I could be referenced to in San Diego to take my truck to that is specifically experienced with the Triton motors and ironing out their can phaser issues and noises. Or even better if there's somebody on the site that could go through it and do a good 200k mile tune-up. I've already done the spark plugs and coils, I'd like to keep this truck for the long haul.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM
glc
Spend the big bucks and take it to a Ford dealer.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Spend the big bucks and take it to a Ford dealer.
I'm posting on here looking for leads outside of Ford dealers - my experience with bringing an out of warranty vehicle to any kind of dealer is that you end up paying a few hundred bucks more than what a local mechanic would charge and they aren't necessarily any better. I've read lots of posts on this site where Ford charges a couple thousand bucks and the problem isn't even resolved.

Again, looking for someone reputable or somebody that someone has had experience working with.

So far I have the warm idle knock and constant sound of bearings whirling around in a can coming from the front of the engine. My understanding is that there are multiple parts along with the cam phasers and timing chain that need to be inspected and may or may not need to be replaced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam/timing job needed, socal recommendations?

Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: