F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   35's on a 2.5 inch rough country level kit (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/520303-35s-2-5-inch-rough-country-level-kit.html)

Spartan117 02-10-2019 03:16 PM

35's on a 2.5 inch rough country level kit

I have a 2004 FX4 Super crew F-150 with a 2.5 inch leveling kit and i was wondering what would be the correct tire size i can put on it. I want 35 x 12.5 tires, I am eventually going to buy a 6 inch lift as well, but if i can fit 35s on with the leveling kit for now and then do a 6 inch lift that would be ideal for me. There are the wheels: Vision 372 Raptor Wheel with Matte Black Finish (18x9.5"/6x135mm, +25mm offset) 6.23 inches wheel back spacing. I have tires on there currently that are 275/65R18 and once those go i will be replacing them with 35s. I dont mind minor plastic trimming either. 315/70/18 or 305/70/18, I want them to be 35's so that way they look proportional to a 6 inch lift when i get it.

Fifty150 02-11-2019 01:43 AM

For a leveling kit, you can run 33" tires on stock wheels. Trimming plastic is not the issue. The issue will be the inside of those tires vs your suspension components & your wheel well. Leveling kits will change the angle of the upper control arm and wear on the ball joint. Most people feel that it's not really an issue, and that they will just install new ball joints when they wear out.

With a 6 inch lift, you can run 35" tires, but not with those wheels you have now. You will need new wheels with specs for the kit you are installing. Most lift kits will have a specific wheel fitment intended to work with their kit. Wheel width & backspacing are the most important numbers. Offset not so much. There are different lift kit options, and the more you spend, the better quality. Spend more, and you will get more parts, and better parts. You're not saving yourself any money with a lesser quality kit. Get a suspension lift.

I recall people trying to get more lift out of their trucks by using body lifts in combination with leveling kits. Some people use adjustable shocks, and add a leveling kit spacer on top of their adjustable shock. Others actually stacked a strut tower spacer on top of the suspension lift. Doing any combination of those options will result in failure later.

The wisdom in investing $3K+ into a lift kit for a 15 year old truck is questionable. Not only will you incur the cost of the kit components, but then you will find yourself adding on more to make the truck operate at it's best. After the kit install, you will quickly discover that you want the steering stabilizers for lift kits. Now you will have to recalibrate your computer & transmission shift points. You need your speedometer readings corrected. Then you will have to consider regearing since your stock gears were meant for stock tire size.

All of this is usually done when people buy new trucks. But if you want to spend the equivalent of what your truck is worth, that's up to you. In the end, you are looking at $5K - $6K to do everything right. That's probably what your truck's Blue Book value is. And no, nobody will offer you $10K for a 15 year old truck that you just spent $5K on. It will only be worth that to you. Somebody else might take that $5,000, sell the truck for $5,000, and put the $10,000 into a new truck.

Spartan117 02-11-2019 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fifty150 (Post 5247226)
For a leveling kit, you can run 33" tires on stock wheels. Trimming plastic is not the issue. The issue will be the inside of those tires vs your suspension components & your wheel well. Leveling kits will change the angle of the upper control arm and wear on the ball joint. Most people feel that it's not really an issue, and that they will just install new ball joints when they wear out.

With a 6 inch lift, you can run 35" tires, but not with those wheels you have now. You will need new wheels with specs for the kit you are installing. Most lift kits will have a specific wheel fitment intended to work with their kit. Wheel width & backspacing are the most important numbers. Offset not so much. There are different lift kit options, and the more you spend, the better quality. Spend more, and you will get more parts, and better parts. You're not saving yourself any money with a lesser quality kit. Get a suspension lift.

I recall people trying to get more lift out of their trucks by using body lifts in combination with leveling kits. Some people use adjustable shocks, and add a leveling kit spacer on top of their adjustable shock. Others actually stacked a strut tower spacer on top of the suspension lift. Doing any combination of those options will result in failure later.

The wisdom in investing $3K+ into a lift kit for a 15 year old truck is questionable. Not only will you incur the cost of the kit components, but then you will find yourself adding on more to make the truck operate at it's best. After the kit install, you will quickly discover that you want the steering stabilizers for lift kits. Now you will have to recalibrate your computer & transmission shift points. You need your speedometer readings corrected. Then you will have to consider regearing since your stock gears were meant for stock tire size.

All of this is usually done when people buy new trucks. But if you want to spend the equivalent of what your truck is worth, that's up to you. In the end, you are looking at $5K - $6K to do everything right. That's probably what your truck's Blue Book value is. And no, nobody will offer you $10K for a 15 year old truck that you just spent $5K on. It will only be worth that to you. Somebody else might take that $5,000, sell the truck for $5,000, and put the $10,000 into a new truck.

Yeah the thing is I have no plans on selling it. But I will take in consideration into not lifting it. I do need new tires tho and I’d like to go as big as possible for now.

Question tho, when would you think it would be appropriate to lift a truck? I get this trucks 15 years old but it would cost me more money buying even a used 2018 f150 and then putting a lift kit and wheels on that. It would be just cheaper just replacing all the stuff that break on this truck, until I graduate college and get a better paying job with my degree. Everything you just said makes perfect sense and it would make sense to leave it as is and save for a new one, but truthfully I like this year model look and I don’t mind driving this thing over a new one.

Fifty150 02-11-2019 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spartan117 (Post 5247227)
I do need new tires tho and I’d like to go as big as possible for now.

I get it. You like the way the bigger tires look. I like the look too.

Bigger tires will not give you anything significant by way of ground clearance. The OEM tire is 31". A strut spacer allows for a 33" tire. Where are you going with that extra 1"?

Bigger tires will not provide you with any performance advantage. It will actually degrade your driveability. Your speedometer will be off calibration. Your transmission shift points will be off calibration. Your gears will be the wrong size, thereby losing mechanical advantage in turning a bigger, heavier tire. This causes added wear to your gear box, and your transmission.

Originally Posted by Spartan117 (Post 5247227)
Question tho, when would you think it would be appropriate to lift a truck?

Opinions vary Lifting trucks, just like making cars go faster, is strictly a hobby and not an investment. If you can afford it, and you receive personal gratification, then there really isn't a question of when.. It comes down to your fiscal condition, and your outlook on financial management.

For some people, never. Vehicles depreciate. No sense to throw that much money into a car which depreciates daily & by the mile. That money is gone. You can't even take the parts off, and try to sell that lift kit to someone as used. Same way that putting a supercharger on your Mustang is a waste of money. You have no need for a car to go that fast. You have no need for a truck to be that high. As with all hobbies, there is no real need. I enjoy the pleasures from loose women, but I have no need for such activity. Over the years, I have thrown away a small fortune, in exchange for personal gratification.

I think that the time to put money into any car, is when the car is new. Stupid to supercharge a 15 year old Mustang with over 100,000 miles. Might as well do all of your mods on a new car, with new parts. Lift the truck when it's new. Because after you do all of the suspension stuff, you'll also want to consider adding a little more power to turn those wheels. You're not going to start modding the engine for power on a 10+ year old truck with over 100,000 miles. You will enjoy every car or truck more when you fix up a new car or truck.

Other people will tell you not to do anything to a new car or truck, because you'll void the warranty.

There's another school of thought where the best cars to fix up are old cars. It makes perfect sense. Look at how many hobbyist collect old cars, get them at a good price, and then resto-mod them into being better than when they left the factory. Look at all of those great Fox Body Mustangs with the 5.0 engine. In theory, you could do that with your truck. No reason why you can't over-engineer your truck into a better truck.

Now is the perfect time. Start working on it, little by little. Start with the engine. Add on all of those little things like intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, et cetera. Get a programmer. Do that 1st, and enjoy it while you're saving up for the next phase. Some things make sense; if you already have to drop the pan for a transmission fluid exchange, you may as well add a shift kit and aftermarket pan for more capacity. Your truck is due for the gear oil to be changed; regear and add an aftermarket diff cover. Eventually, you'll get around to whatever extras you think fit your needs. From a high end entertainment system, onboard WiFi, a cabover camper shell, fancy paint job, tinted windows, spray in bedliner.......whatever! Just consider what you can actually use and will benefit you immediately, vs what can wait a little longer. Maybe that camper shell will give you immediate enjoyment. Or you would rather have a nice head unit for playing videos and making hands free calls.

Spartan117 02-11-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fifty150 (Post 5247232)
I get it. You like the way the bigger tires look. I like the look too.

Bigger tires will not give you anything significant by way of ground clearance. The OEM tire is 31". A strut spacer allows for a 33" tire. Where are you going with that extra 1"?

Bigger tires will not provide you with any performance advantage. It will actually degrade your driveability. Your speedometer will be off calibration. Your transmission shift points will be off calibration. Your gears will be the wrong size, thereby losing mechanical advantage in turning a bigger, heavier tire. This causes added wear to your gear box, and your transmission.

Opinions vary Lifting trucks, just like making cars go faster, is strictly a hobby and not an investment. If you can afford it, and you receive personal gratification, then there really isn't a question of when.. It comes down to your fiscal condition, and your outlook on financial management.

For some people, never. Vehicles depreciate. No sense to throw that much money into a car which depreciates daily & by the mile. That money is gone. You can't even take the parts off, and try to sell that lift kit to someone as used. Same way that putting a supercharger on your Mustang is a waste of money. You have no need for a car to go that fast. You have no need for a truck to be that high. As with all hobbies, there is no real need. I enjoy the pleasures from loose women, but I have no need for such activity. Over the years, I have thrown away a small fortune, in exchange for personal gratification.

I think that the time to put money into any car, is when the car is new. Stupid to supercharge a 15 year old Mustang with over 100,000 miles. Might as well do all of your mods on a new car, with new parts. Lift the truck when it's new. Because after you do all of the suspension stuff, you'll also want to consider adding a little more power to turn those wheels. You're not going to start modding the engine for power on a 10+ year old truck with over 100,000 miles. You will enjoy every car or truck more when you fix up a new car or truck.

Other people will tell you not to do anything to a new car or truck, because you'll void the warranty.

There's another school of thought where the best cars to fix up are old cars. It makes perfect sense. Look at how many hobbyist collect old cars, get them at a good price, and then resto-mod them into being better than when they left the factory. Look at all of those great Fox Body Mustangs with the 5.0 engine. In theory, you could do that with your truck. No reason why you can't over-engineer your truck into a better truck.

Now is the perfect time. Start working on it, little by little. Start with the engine. Add on all of those little things like intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, et cetera. Get a programmer. Do that 1st, and enjoy it while you're saving up for the next phase. Some things make sense; if you already have to drop the pan for a transmission fluid exchange, you may as well add a shift kit and aftermarket pan for more capacity. Your truck is due for the gear oil to be changed; regear and add an aftermarket diff cover. Eventually, you'll get around to whatever extras you think fit your needs. From a high end entertainment system, onboard WiFi, a cabover camper shell, fancy paint job, tinted windows, spray in bedliner.......whatever! Just consider what you can actually use and will benefit you immediately, vs what can wait a little longer. Maybe that camper shell will give you immediate enjoyment. Or you would rather have a nice head unit for playing videos and making hands free calls.

Thats actually completely fair, probably would be more practical to drop a new engine and work my way from practicality then worry about looks. Putting a lift kit on a truck with 216000 miles probably wouldn’t be the smart thing now that I see what that re gearing and all that stuff plays a big factor. Also my truck makes a screeching sound every now and then when starting up so I assume that’s the fly wheel because I replaced my starter and it happened much less frequently after that but still can’t continues every now and then. Or just save for a new f150 at that point lol we’ll see how things play out, I’ll definitely consider what is being said here cause it’s also true that one extra inch won’t make a difference on tire size as well.

Fifty150 02-12-2019 08:11 PM

You will have a good looking truck that doesn't run!

Might as well paint it with a wild spray job. Delete the entire interior for custom upholstery. Put a love seat & cooler in the truck bed, next to the Confederate Flag, just like all those guys do down in The South. Invest in a giant flat screen and theater surround sound, for those hot dates who will ride in the truck bed while you're driving. Custom cut a door to door, 48" wide sunroof, above the rear seats, and install a t-shirt cannon mounted above the windshield. Install lowrider hydraulics so that your truck bed lifts like a dump truck. Then delete all the F-150 emblems and install Ford Lobo emblems.

Then everything will be perfect for you to install a new engine & tranny combination. Then you can go all out. Rip out everything under the hood. Install a 302 crate engine, a Whipple supercharger, and a TCI StreetFighter transmission. Get yourself about $50,000 into a $5,000 truck.

Spartan117 02-12-2019 09:06 PM

LOL ok the truck isnt that bad it runs fine, im not going to lift it but little things here and there that wont be breaking my bank is fine especially since i can afford it and ill save at the same time for a new one :) thanks for the input i appreciate it, i know what i want to do now.

Fifty150 02-12-2019 11:48 PM

Finances. Money. It's the only thing that prevents most of us, from doing a lot of the things that we want to do. We're not posting on a forum about the classic, collector car that we own. We're posting on the forum about a 15 year old used truck, which we are trying to keep on the road.

TDRPro210 01-02-2020 01:45 AM

By accident and carelessness i purchased some 305/55 Nitto Terra Grapplers to put on a set of 20x10 Fuel Vortex rims with a -15mm offset. I also have the RC 2" leveling kit on the front of my '05 FX4.
I have a bit of rubbing on the front of the wheel with not much of a turn at all.
I cut the a pie shaped piece of the lower front bumper trim off to fix that problem.

The bigger issue is the constant rubbing that can be heard when I go into reverse to back into a parking space or otherwise turning the wheel almost full tilt while backing up. I can go just about full tilt before it rubs and I can see where it is rubbing. I was thinking about doing a combo of a 4" lift (I dont want a lift but now i need one and I cant go too high or i wont be able to park where i normally do) and also getting some custom body work done in the area where the tire is rubbing on the back of the front wheel well.

I have two questions.
-do yall think that a 4" lift will help with my clearance issue.
- what do you think about instead of removing the wheel well covers and the trim and hammering it back an inch or two i was wanting to have the body nearest where your Drivers left foot can point and touch with your toes and the same area but on the passenger sides right foot (forward of where the fuse box is) it looks to me like theres at least two inches of space that I can cut out. i guess you can say that in effect it would be lessening the amount of leg(foot) room. I have a friend that offered to do that custom work for only $300. I like that option better than having to lift my truck because I never wanted it lifted in the first place. I have a few pictures. I took a tape measure to it while I was TRYING to install the RC fender flares with the stock hardware. ended up saying screw it to those metal clips and used self tapping screws to hold them in place.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...4f5d3760ab.jpg
i didnt measure this but its definitely not the stock 4" any longer. my educated guess says that its 6" now. lol
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...9eec27e19b.jpg
wider stance but not toooo wide. Just how I envisioned it looking. So happy!
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...4868003747.jpg
In this photo, and all of them actually, i had not yet cut the pie shaped triangular piece off of the lower front bumper trim. I cut the piece off of the section that is cornered and closest to the 3 o'clock position on the tire. when i turned going backwards this would catch. Cut it off with a sawsall and problem solved. as you can tell my front lower bumper is damaged from a colision. I will be replacing this with an Pre runner type singular front bumper instead of this stock three piece
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...70d36f73d8.jpg
dont make fun of my smirk. Its going to the shop for a whole new front bumper, grill and hood soon enough. It probably cost more to fix the stupid Mercedes that stopped in the middle of the road for a vehicle in another lane.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...0d26856d8e.jpg
Once i manhandled the stock fender flares off (which by the way were much harder to get off than what the RC instructional video showed but only because for whatever reason my FX4 has a different type of connectors. I threw them all away as they were of no use to the installation of the new RC fender flares.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...8720eef2d7.jpg
Left Rear New Wheel & Tire.I got the look i was going for with the offset of -15 on the FUEL Vortex 20x10 wheels and Nitto Terra Grappler G2 305x55 tires. Yay I was going for stability with a widened stance. I feel safer and can definitely feel the road more. I like the way it turned out but watch out for puddles!!! nobody mentioned how dangerous these wider tires could be in wet conditions. I was taken off guard and will for ever be much more cautious when driving in the rain for now on
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...79d563c487.jpg
Left Rear Wheel with new flares and tires
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...4cf9d75e42.jpg
Front drivers side before i put the 2" RC leveling kit,
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...e114f98081.jpg
Rear of the front drivers side wheel well with straightened steering wheel. The area beneath the 4" mark on the inside of the wheel well cover can be seen as having been discolored from only a few turns from the tire shop to my house. nothing crazy, normal driving (except i started making very wide turns when ever possible ) This was the morning after install. A fw wx later i have seen rub marks in the area around but slightly lower than there the 3" mark is on the tape.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...eb34b4a699.jpg
Rear of Drivers side frnt Whl Well with the steering wheel 90-95% full tilt PICTURE 1. as you can see, the clearance is no longer there.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...04e75a01cc.jpg
Rear of Drivers side frnt Whl Well with the steering wheel 90-95% full tilt PICTURE 2 heres the lower corner where i am getting the constant rubbing from the wheel well and trim and fender flare bolts that are securing everything into place inside the wheel well. I want to cut a good portion of this out to make more room in this general area nearest this picture and Pic 1s area.. like foot or so in towards the pax side and do the reverse on pax side as well.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...962c531de9.jpg
rear of the drivers side front wheel well with the wheel full tilt to the right.

This is the area that I am wanting to cut out and push back towards the rear some. My 33.4x12.4 tires s are rubbing up against the area behind the 2.75" tape mark. its the exact and surrounding few square inches that rubbing can be seen where the wheel well cover, lower trim and fender flares are all secured by two bolts of sorts. I think that i have a good 2" of extra clearance sitting there waiting for me to cut into it. I'm thinking like a 12"x 14" area pushed back a full 2". im just guessing numbers here and know that I wold need to look out for the pedal system and such but what do you guys think?
I have read stories about people saying to unscrew and then zip-tie the wheel well cover to a position further towards the rear. I dont see that being a solution to my problem since i have a -15mm offset leaving me with the option to either get smaller tires, (not going to happen these weren't cheap) cut into the firewall i guess is what it's called and make more room for suspension and wheel travel or lastly go with the option to just get a 4" lift and be done with things.
Rough Country has a 4" suspension lift that they say will clear a 35x12.5 -12 since I have the -15 offset am i screwed?