2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 f150 xlt 5.4l 3v Timing kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Green_o17
I understand that...and sorry for the confusion I have with this. But something is causing all the cylinders on the passenger side to be missing (which is causing the shaking and the loss of power), it must mean that the timing is off. Should I be worried about it being off when I go to replace the timing kit? I mean, if i install the phasers in the exact position they are now and put the chains where they are supposed to be, will everything be ok? Or will it continue to shake and miss because it was before i changed everything?

Once again, sorry if im looking to deep or worrying about nothing, I would just hate to skip something, get it all back together, and nothing is fixed

Thanks
You probably have a broken chain guide and/or the tensioner is not holding oil pressure because the gasket failed etc, therefore, not holding tension on that chain, so it is not in time for that side of the engine. You may even have jumped a tooth. You won't know until you get in there and look. When you replace the 'timing set' you will be setting the time. So, when you install the new components, and it is done correctly, you will be in time again. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...so I have everything apart. The Left and Right side both have the marks on the phasers on top, the keyway at the 11 o'clock position and the dot at the 6 o'clock position (this is how it looked when I took the front cover off). The chain on the passenger side is tight and the driver side is loose (almost touching). Both tenisoners are maxed out, nothing is broken.

Seems like everything is where it should be, so I should be good to go? Install the new phasers with the l and r on top and line up the colored chain links where they need to be correct? I was reading the instructions that came with the phasers and it is really confusing, ford really trying to confuse you.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If you haven't already, watch some Fordtechmakuloco's videos on how to install them.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:38 AM
It appears that I have skipped a tooth. I took off both chains and tried putting the new ones on. The drivers side lines up perfectly, the passengers side is about a half tooth off from being where it has to be. Both phasers look good, nothing seems to be broke on them. I do not have the valve spring tool or the cam positioner tool (which are about $130ish). I called my local ford shop and they will time it for $220. (so really only about $100). I think i will go that route, I don't want to, but I do not what to mess anything up, would like this truck for another 10ish years!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Well...I decided to go with my gut and just do the job. Put all the new parts in and put it all back together. Started it up on Sunday and she purrs like a kitten. Knocking noise is gone and it sounds great. All that worrying for nothing on my part, it was really a easy motor to time. As long as you have the correct tools, you can really only install them one way, and its the right way.

So, all said and done, I have about $1,200 into the job and about 3 1/2 weeks in the job (working on it when able). Sounds like a brand new truck! Also thanks to my dad for doing most of the work, saved a ton of money!

Old 03-15-2019, 02:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good to hear. I'll be contemplating doing the timing job on mine in the next year or so. I don't have any symptoms of failure, but at 150K miles, it's probably a safe bet it needs to be done.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 AM
ok, well maybe i spoke to soon. I have driven my truck about 100 miles since the repair and everything is great, except for one thing. I have no developed a "chatter" or "slap" at startup. It only lasts for about 1 second, its just as its turning over, when it starts, it sounds great. Any ideas on this?

Quick Reply: 2004 f150 xlt 5.4l 3v Timing kit