2004 - 2008 F-150

oil dipstick length

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil dipstick length

Probably an uncommon question, but just curious since given the age of my truck I'm pretty sure it's burning oil. Since, I bought my truck used I would like to rule out the fact that the dipstick may not be the original? Anyhow, I need to know the length so I don't overfill when it comes to topping off the motor oil. I've already added 2 qt after driving ~1500 miles since my last oil change (7 qt).

Old 11-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
What I recommend doing is filling your truck with oil (7qts), and then drive it for 100 miles. Note the level on the dipstick (heck, I use sharpies). Then drive it some more, and keep checking.

Alternately, fill it with 7 quarts, then next oil change measure it.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm just trying to avoid having to do a whole new oil change procedure at the moment. I know these trucks are thirsty when it comes to gas but didn't realize when it also comes to oil too! I've already added 2 qts and the dipstick still appears to be dry after i let the engine sit overnight prior to checking the oil level. Anyhow, I just did some research and found that the length (according to O'Reilly) is 29 3/8" long. Going to check it out later tonight and see if I'm dealing with the same spec or not.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:54 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
That much oil consumption is not normal.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Checked the length of my dipstick and it measured out to 29 3/8" which is the same spec from auto store. After replacing my VCT solenoid (passenger side) and looking inside the valve cover I can tell that the life of this motor could've had more frequent oil changes or just better oil from the past owner. Anyhow, on the other hand I no longer hear the chain rattle upon cold start up anymore after replacing the VCT solenoid. Just now trying to figure out why it burns oil at this rate. I guess I should do another oil change especially having peeked inside the valve cover even though I had already done so in August (~2000 miles ago).

Old 11-27-2018, 04:44 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Is it all sludged up? If so, you need this:

https://www.auto-rx.com/

https://www.auto-rx.com/instructions-for-extreme-sludge

If you had chain rattle, you may need to replace all the timing components and oil pump.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the rec! Will give this a try too during my oil change. I don't want to say extreme sludge but there is some residue that was clumped up on the VCT valve seal itself and also visible from the oil fill tube when you remove the oil filler cap. The instructions from the webpage mentioned PCV valve. Perhaps I should replace this and see if this will remedy my oil consumption.

Quick Reply: oil dipstick length