2004 - 2008 F-150

Starting to look Promising for 6r80 Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Starting to look Promising for 6r80 Swaps

Has anyone been paying attention to this stuff? For most this doesn't make much sense, but those of us that view our truck as a project, these swaps are pretty cool. Trucks like mine have the stupid sealed drive shaft, which I'd be replacing anyways, so no big deal for a custom driveshaft. I'll be keeping this in the back of my pocket.

New Edges, 2011+ Mustangs, older trucks, etc are able to swap to the beefy 6R80 with controllers like this. They're all over youtube as well. Apparently pretty cheap transmissions as well.

https://www.usshift.com/usq6.shtml

Old 11-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It's neat to see companies making products like this.

I've actually been fascinated with reverse engineering automotive PCMs. I've actually have done quite a few in the past few years.

Some of the most interesting finds too. There are lots of flaws in automotive components that could gain access to "hacking".

Now that most cars are connected via bluetooth, 4G/5G tech, and WiFi, there are a lot of ways to have some fun with these newer vehicles. Been trying to get my hands on some 2017/2018 PCMs for cheaps (Ford and GM) to try to have some fun with on my bench.

In any event, how this relates, I could easily see a vast array of wireless products that you can simply "pair" with your vehicle that you can then modify the shift patterns, engine dynamics, etc.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Yup they've had stand alone 6R80 for about a year now.

that's another benefit of Ford and GM build transmissions together, more on the market means larger target for aftermarket support.

in your case you could also swap to a 09-10 harness/computer that was 5.4 6R80 from the get go

Old 11-24-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
It's neat to see companies making products like this.

I've actually been fascinated with reverse engineering automotive PCMs. I've actually have done quite a few in the past few years.

Some of the most interesting finds too. There are lots of flaws in automotive components that could gain access to "hacking".

Now that most cars are connected via bluetooth, 4G/5G tech, and WiFi, there are a lot of ways to have some fun with these newer vehicles. Been trying to get my hands on some 2017/2018 PCMs for cheaps (Ford and GM) to try to have some fun with on my bench.

In any event, how this relates, I could easily see a vast array of wireless products that you can simply "pair" with your vehicle that you can then modify the shift patterns, engine dynamics, etc.
Great points Manual and that is seriously cool what you're tinkering with! We are living in an amazing age because the technology is available for people to figure out the integration like you say. The coyote swaps are insane now. People kept shunning them do to complexity and now companies are solving so many of the road blocks. It's a very very cool time in automotive history.

Originally Posted by Patman
Yup they've had stand alone 6R80 for about a year now.

that's another benefit of Ford and GM build transmissions together, more on the market means larger target for aftermarket support.

in your case you could also swap to a 09-10 harness/computer that was 5.4 6R80 from the get go
I totally agree, having multiple manufacturerers involved benefits both sides.

I'll have to contact that company once I move. They are based out of south Carolina so they could probably confirm everything needed for the swap .if it's just the trans, controller, and driveshaft that'd be amazing.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yep, it's like back in the old days of changing the jetting on carbs, now you play with stuff on your computer or smart device to change parameters.

I'd love to post some of my tear downs and finds, but I don't think these manufacturers would appreciate me doing that.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman

Has this been covered in another thread? I’ve spotted some used 09-10’s that I can pick up at a reasonable price, part out, and retain what I need for a swap…is it as simple as just plugging in or is there fiddling to do?

Quick Reply: Starting to look Promising for 6r80 Swaps