2004 - 2008 F-150

Shift Linkage Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Linkage Cable Replacement

My uncle recently got a new shift linkage cable for his 04 F150 cause the bushing that connects to the transmission was broke. He got a new one asked me if i could help him change it. Im no expert but Ive been looking up how to change it and it seems pretty simple to change it. He currently has duct tape on the actual bushing to keep it in place and it goes into gear and everything. It was just to be able to get around I guess until the part came in but then i figured out you could just buy the bushing. Since the truck still went into gear i figured he just needs the bushing so I told him to go buy it and will put it on or we can just go ahead and replace the entire cable since he already bought it and he cant return it. I texted my local mechanic I usually go to and he said he would charge 160-200 to change it and he mentioned its cause he has to do some sort of unlocking to a thing on the inside of the steering hub i guess its called. Not entirely sure but when I saw the videos its supposed to be just a simple change and running the new cable from the underside and up to the center console where the gear selector is. Could anyone tell me if my mechanic is right about the unlock/lock thing he mentioned? ive seen where on some where the gear selector is behind the steering wheel and only then did they take that area apart to change the cable but not for the one where its located on the center console. Any help and info would be appreciated! Thanks (Chances are that ill just be putting on a new bushing if I can but id like to know if anyone else could give me some info anyways in case we do happen to change the cable anyways)

Quick Reply: Shift Linkage Cable Replacement