2004 - 2008 F-150

Raptor Conversion Dilemma involving Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Raptor Conversion Dilemma involving Wheels

Here is my issue. I am in need of tires, in fact I already own them....and with them I plan to buy new rims to replace my 20's (FX4). I am also wanting to do the Raptor front end (body panels) conversion....but these things won't happen at the same time.

So my issue revolves around backspacing. I can buy wheels with a backspacing similar to that of Raptor wheels, and then do the long travel suspension...don't really "need" it though as it's just my DD and I don't offroad...but after driving a Raptor I would love to have that fee in my truck.

I could get wheels with a backspacing that will fit the different fenders with stock suspension.

Or...I can do stock backspacing and wheel spacers...giving me the chance to do the suspension down the road if I choose.

Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how much back spacing are we talking here/ how big of a spacer?

Old 05-16-2018, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
how much back spacing are we talking here/ how big of a spacer?
That's the big question...and where I am lost because there are a lot of variables.

The first consideration is how much flare the Raptor fenders have? (I want to do the '17 Raptor front end fwiw)

The next consideration would be how much does the Raptor's long travel push the wheels out?

I believe the Raptor wheels have a +34 offset, and they do not sit flush with the fender flares...so there would be some wiggle room.

My stock wheels I believe have a +44 offset (stock 20" fx4 wheels), and I can buy -12, 0, +18 I believe in the style I like.

If there is an offset that is right in the middle of looking good with stock suspension (sitting inside the fender), or just a bit outside of the fender after doing the new long travel then I'm good....or...a wheel that would look good with the fenders, stock suspension, and a small spacer...

My brain hurts just thinking about it so I was hoping one of the experts could lend a hand

Old 05-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your numbers are right on the offsets above. I just went through this and took a chance. They worked. See the new post. I just added one with a picture. You will need to be leveled which I assume you currently are. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by kdevitt
Your numbers are right on the offsets above. I just went through this and took a chance. They worked. See the new post. I just added one with a picture. You will need to be leveled which I assume you currently are. Good luck.
Truck looks good!

Old 06-09-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm running 20x10 with -24 offset and glassworks fenders. They end up sitting basically flush with the outer most part of the fender.

Also in the same boat as you with the suspension swap. Only difference being I've started gathering parts for the swap. Helps having a few buddies with raptors that donate take off parts(heck yes to a free set of stock fox shocks). Having a harder time tracking down lower control arms though.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raptor wheels

Also read and read and read yet still no answer. I have a 2017 XLT Sport stock suspension(no lift/level). Have a deal on raptor wheels and tires. LT315/70r17which is about 34's. Wondering if these will fit on stock suspension. Also have 2" spacers, would it not rub if spacers were added??? Someone smarter than me please help!! Ha.

Quick Reply: Raptor Conversion Dilemma involving Wheels