2004 - 2008 F-150

5.4l 3v - Reman or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4l 3v - Reman or Rebuild?

Well I've come to the conclusion after some posts that my current engine has to go after the scoring on the cams and cam tower. I've got a quote from Powertrain of $3,300 and change for a reman engine. My other thought is to have the block rebuilt. A machine here in town has quoted $1K for everything including machining. I can also get both heads for around $1K a piece from Tasca. I already have the OEM timing set. The timing set is already included in reman so I though this might be the best route since I already bought it to redo the current engine.

Am I missing anything?

Thank you,

Ken

Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Reman. Less chance for poor workmanship or mistakes to screw something up and there should be a guarantee of some sort.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Thank you Roadie.

I should note the heads are new from Tasca Ford and the machine shop has guaranteed the block work for 3 years.

Thank you,

Ken

Old 05-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i like the idea of using a shop that sales the reman. engine, this way if there is a problem they cover labor.

why not try and find a lower millege engine from a totaled truck and have that put in. I know alot of guys that did this and had great results.

if yo go with a rebuilt engine or remanufactured, what you drive out cost?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM
BrotherDave - I thought about the used engine and read a lot of posts about it. And I did spend a couple of hours looking around for something but it wasn't there. The machine shop is going to charge me $1K to rebuild my block. I already have a new water pump and OEM timing set I bought for redoing the engine before I saw the scoring. I also just bought 2 new heads from Tasca with cam and valves for about $2,200 together. So just in main parts I'm looking at around $4,400 so far. I also called around to some other shops about a Jasper and that was going to be $7,700 installed. Powertrain quoted me $3,200 for a reman. My thinking is that at least the route I'm going I know my parts are good and shop has a guarantee on my block. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy a shop crane.

Thank you

Ken

Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 AM
It would appear you had your mind made up before you asked the question. I rebuilt several engines back when I was younger when it was a lot easier to remove and replace the engine. I did make some mistakes by not having all of the expertise that was required. I had to remove one engine and fix my mistakes that weren't serious, seals installed wrong. Being an old coot now, I don't want the hassle of dealing with all the stuff on modern engines. The last time I pulled the engine from my 65 Chevelle, it took 1 hour from the engine running to hanging on the hoist.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Roadie, I've seen some very experienced folks rebuild an entire 5.4l in short of 2 hours.

Best one I saw was a 6.0l being rebuilt in 2 1/2 hours at a diesel shop by my place. The guy rebuilt 1000's of 6.0s. He knew all the tricks... from the parts sitting on a bench to running 2 1/2 hours on an engine hoist... Funny thing about it, while he was doing it, we were just shooting the crap, like he really wasn't paying attention, but he was.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Roadie - It wasn't totally made up. I also wanted to see if I was missing anything besides buying new heads and getting the block rebuilt. The Jasper reman was going to be $7,000 installed. The Ford was going to be $4,500 and change, not installed. I had already spent $1,200 on timing, oil pump and such. By having a reputable machine shop rebuild just my block with new parts and guaranteed and then adding the new heads, would that be close to a reman?

Thank you,

Ken

Last edited by Simpleaim; 05-10-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Roadie, I've seen some very experienced folks rebuild an entire 5.4l in short of 2 hours.

Best one I saw was a 6.0l being rebuilt in 2 1/2 hours at a diesel shop by my place. The guy rebuilt 1000's of 6.0s. He knew all the tricks... from the parts sitting on a bench to running 2 1/2 hours on an engine hoist... Funny thing about it, while he was doing it, we were just shooting the crap, like he really wasn't paying attention, but he was.
Yeah, it really helps if you know exactly what you are doing. Most of us are not in that category. I rebuilt 3 engines back in the day, but I didn't do it enough to know exactly what I was doing. Two were small block Chevys which are as easy to work on as any I suppose.
Then there was that 455 Pontiac. I hated that engine by the time I was done. The rope seal used for the rear main is impossible to dicuss without profanity. The odds of screwing something up are quite high.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a rear main on my 400 im getting ready to pull, you have to know what your doing with ponchos for sure!

if you can go for the down time rebuild it to your liking. its already going to cost and your obviously planning on keeping it so why not get what you really want and build for some power? just not a reman fan but im also the kinda guy that takes any failure as a reason to build it better.

Quick Reply: 5.4l 3v - Reman or Rebuild?