2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 Triton 5.4L 3V Major issues with Idle

Old 01-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Triton 5.4L 3V Major issues with Idle

Hi,
I am a new member here with a Boatload full of questions.
We have a F 150 5.4 L Triton 3V XLT .
Currently it is a Yard Ornament.
However. It has 145000 mi on it and had no prior issues or hickups.
I have a 2.1 mile drive back and forth to work and that is about it. 2 weeks ago we had -23 degrees outside and a windchill of -40. The truck faced that wind. The day before I went to work and back and had no issue. Next morning I started it to warm it up. 5 minutes later it was stalled. I got it restarted and drove 1 1/2 blocks and it completely died. No start - nothing. With help of my Roadside Assistance I made it back in my driveway - partially. After 2 hours the truck started and I could resume the length of my drive way. Now- next attempt to run it.It said " Check gauges" ...No Oil Pressure" ...I got a heater and plugged it under the Pan. 2 days later it warmed up a bit outside and I started and my oil was back. I had it Idle. I changed the oil and filter v( looked like coffee with creamer). Now it starts up and idles at about 750 rpm after the initial idle. Once the engine is warm and I put it in Gear it idles out and dies. no matter if I get the rpm up to 1200 or higher . As I let go of the Gas it dies. * replaced Oil and Filter twice ( seafoamed ) ," replaced Air Filter " Replaced MAF Sensor, " Replaced both Solenoids ( VVT/VCT) . Per Codes read by a neighbor one bank runs lean one runs rich. Now what? Throttle Body? I have no clue what I am doing - i am a Forklift Mechanic.and can take them apart and put them together but not that Truck Just using Youtube and Internet to get it figured out. Any suggestion? Thank you!

Old 01-24-2018, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The part that concerns me is that the oil you took out looked like "coffee with creamer." Generally speaking, that means water in the oil. I'd get both a compression and leak down test done before you throw any more parts at it.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Driving it only 2 miles back and forth to work in extreme cold might just cause the blowby water to cause the oil to look like that. A vehicle needs to be driven far enough to get the engine hot to evaporate the water out of the oil.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I can attest to that, not with my truck, but my Harley. I get the itch to ride it, but not far in the Spring and late Fall. Very bad idea. Couple years ago, I went for a ride early Spring to go to the post office -- like ~2 miles away. Got the mail, and came back. Went to go change the oil, and I noticed it was milky. I knew right away what it was... condensation from not letting the oil heat up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Triton 5.4L 3V Major issues with Idle