2004 - 2008 F-150

Which Grease for Moog Uppers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Grease for Moog Uppers?

Stupid question I know...but I want to get all of my ducks in a row before I start. It would be helpful if you could be specific with the brand/Part# as well....since I always get that paralysis by analysis when I go to the store and see 50 different options.

Also, will I need to lube anything else during the install...slight coat of grease on bushings, etc...?

I will be swapping out my uppers and installing the Bilstein 5100's at the same time on my 2006 FX4.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Any tube of multi-purpose NLGI #2 grease that will fit in a grease gun will be fine. I prefer this stuff:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=GLCCR-EA

This is good for everything - including wheel bearings.

If you want to grease rubber bushings, use silicone grease, NAPA sells it as Sil-Glyde. If they are metal bushings, use the multi-purpose grease.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Any tube of multi-purpose NLGI #2 grease that will fit in a grease gun will be fine. I prefer this stuff:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=GLCCR-EA

This is good for everything - including wheel bearings.

If you want to grease rubber bushings, use silicone grease, NAPA sells it as Sil-Glyde. If they are metal bushings, use the multi-purpose grease.
Thanks for the advice...and I actually have a tube of Sil-Glyde brake lube which is silicone based, is that what you mean? Or is there another Sil-Glyde product that you are talking about?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
No, that's the stuff! You just don't want to use petroleum grease on rubber.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by glc
No, that's the stuff! You just don't want to use petroleum grease on rubber.
Good man...thanks for the help!

Old 12-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you are talking about upper control arms. I ordered a RH and LH Moog from Summit I went with the cheaper non greaseable version. I ended up receiving the LH was what I ordered the RH was boxed wrong and is the greaseable version. So I did get 1 that is more expensive for a cheaper price, but it really messes with my OCD. I just use a red high temp grease in ball joints and Fords clear silicon grease on the rubbers.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by J Rich
I assume you are talking about upper control arms. I ordered a RH and LH Moog from Summit I went with the cheaper non greaseable version. I ended up receiving the LH was what I ordered the RH was boxed wrong and is the greaseable version. So I did get 1 that is more expensive for a cheaper price, but it really messes with my OCD. I just use a red high temp grease in ball joints and Fords clear silicon grease on the rubbers.
Yes you are correct, upper control arms...and nice deal...although hopefully after time you can forget that they're different...I am the same way with the OCD.

Quick Reply: Which Grease for Moog Uppers?