2004 - 2008 F-150

New Power Steering Lines Replace Finned Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Power Steering Lines Replace Finned Cooler?

Ordered new power steering lines for my 2005 Ford F150 4.6l 2WD. This turned up yesterday afternoon. A few threads have suggested that this is supposedly a revised design which replaces the finned power steering radiator/cooler with just a length of pipe, although no one has confirmed this.

Am I OK getting rid of my original finned cooler for this 'revised' design? Or do I risk overheating issues?

Like for like replacement lines do seem to exist which means I can keep the finned cooler, but I couldn't find any OEM Motorcraft ones, only aftermarket.

Attached Thumbnails New Power Steering Lines Replace Finned Cooler?-img_20170805_190310.jpg  
Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You should be able to find just the hose from Tasca Ford Parts. That would allow you to keep the cooler.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA9Y43VP2866

Can't say if it's a required piece of equipment to have the cooler but it can't hurt. I'd want the cooler, not that the fluid is subject to any combustion temps but the power steering pump is attached to the block which will transfer heat to the pump and to the fluid.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reply bud. Can anyone else confirm whether I can go ahead and replace my finned cooler with this or not?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:58 PM
to my understanding Ford used the straight pipe cooler with a sensor for temp and used the finned cooler when there was no sensor.. other than that I'm not sure which is better.. I have the sensor and bent tube.. but i think i'd much rather have the finned cooler.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Timelord83
to my understanding Ford used the straight pipe cooler with a sensor for temp and used the finned cooler when there was no sensor.. other than that I'm not sure which is better.. I have the sensor and bent tube.. but i think i'd much rather have the finned cooler.
Where's the sensor located?

Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 PM
That's the wrong pipe . . .

Hello, hope it's not too late to reply to this thread.

I believe you've got the wrong part. I'm replacing the return to reservoir hose on my 2008 F150 5.4 and the part you're showing that looks like a trombone slide is the part that returns fluid to the reservoir.

I just bought it today at advance auto and when I saw your picture it's exactly what I have in my hand. The original part number is: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...771/11053294-P

Okay, I don't know the exact part number could I keep getting lost trying to find it online, but if it looks like the part I'm referencing and the web address above, that is not the finned cooler that you have, you have the line that is returning to fluid to the reservoir. I'm replacing mine right now.

Whether this helps or not I don't know, I just know that soon as I saw that part I recognize immediately. Best of luck.
Jerry

Look here, this is the pipe you have, I think. . . Ford Part No.: 5L3Z-3D746-A

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...eering,,3D746B

Last edited by gtdom; 08-17-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: additional info