2004 - 2008 F-150

Bilstein Leveling struts on new coils = bouncey ride!

Old 07-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bilstein Leveling struts on new coils = bouncey ride! Update*

Hello all,

As of yesterday I installed the Bilstein leveling struts on the front of my 118k mile 07 2wd STX RCSB. When I did the install I went ahead and replaced the stock coils with brand new coils off the Monroe quick strut assemblies (I bought new, and had yet to install on the truck). So my ending setup would be new Bilsteins on brand new coils, with new moog upper control arms/ball joints and new lower moog ball joints that I replaced as well.

I have the Bilsteins on the 2 inch lift setting, to level out the truck. The truck bounces like a mixture of dump/box truck and a low rider with cut springs. I have no idea where I went wrong. Its kinda smooth on highway until you hit dips, holes or bumps then it feels bouncy.

All of the part numbers are correct for my truck, the Monroe quick strut assemblies were brand new (never installed, complete- until I broke them down to keep the coils but not the Monroe struts), the Bilsteins are new from Summit (never installed). The front suspension now has zero flex to it.

I did do the install myself so there is no other lift or added spacer on the setup, just strictly new coils on bilsteins with highest setting installed. I did add new upper control arms/ball joints and new lower ball joints at the same time.

Will the ride get better in due time?? Is this just because the coils are new, as well as the struts, maybe even the effect of adding the new upper control arms?

The Monroe coils look to be exactly the same as the stock coils, length and number of coils compared to stock.

Before I break these down to access what to do does anyone have experience in dealing with this situation? Should I just break them down, go to the zero lift setting on the Bilsteins and just add a top strut spacer for lift to get my quality ride back? Or should I just go back to stock 118k mile coils with Bilstein on zero setting and spacer lift?

All I want is my quality ride back with a leveled front end, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Last edited by tman07f150; 07-22-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: add material
Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I had the Monroe struts and springs installed on the 2004 I had. It brought the front end up to level. The springs were noticeably larger than the stock springs. The truck rode a lot stiffer on the front end which was great for me and driving ranches. Not sure what you have but apparently it's not working right.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, everything I have read suggests these are oem replacements and offer no extra lift.. my upper bj angles look normal. And it has about the same amount of lift as it had before with stock struts and a 2.5 inch lift spacer that was taken off with the old struts.

I can't figure out if I wanna just go back old coils with bilsteins on 0 with lift spacer or what but I think it's the bilsteins being so stiff on the highest setting and new stiff springs..

Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Try putting the OEM springs back in and see what it does

In my experience the Monroe springs are heavier (stiffer) than factory

Old 07-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Thanks, I'll probably end up trying that as a last resort.

I'll more than likely try the easier route first. Compress the springs, drop the o-ring down to the 0 setting to equal stock height for the Bilsteins, and add a leveling strut spacer up top. Then see how the ride quality is.

It has smoothed out a tad but still is pogostick-ish on bumps and dips, my absolute last resort will be disassembling the Bilstein/Monroe Coils, and putting Bilsteins on stock coils at 0 setting with top leveling spacer. Regardless, the Bilsteins will be taken down to the 0 setting no matter what, I think they are a contributing factor to this problem.

All I want was that smooth ride it once had when I got it at 35k miles in 2010 and still rode smooth with a leveling kit on.

I feel the main contributor here is the squished new coils in relation to the Bilsteins extra firmness being set on the very top setting, ride is just way to firm.

I've read people love the Bilsteins on the front end and I've read people didn't like the firmness maybe it will be better at the 0 lift notch.

Last edited by tman07f150; 07-04-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Just a quick update for future reference, may help someone one day.

So I decided to break down the setup and install the Bilsteins on the stock coil spring assembly (stock coils, upper mount and lower spring seat all stock expect Bilstein struts), with the Bilsteins now set at the 0 setting (lowest notch "stock" height setting located on the strut). With a 2.5 lift strut spacer installed on top of the strut.

The ride is now ideal. Smooth all around, feels like stock again. Rides good.

From my experience, I noticed the Monroe coils were extremely firm and the 2 inch lift setting on the Bilsteins I feel is a bad idea as far as ride quality goes. I called Monroe and Bilstein before breaking the setup down and Monroe claims their springs are to match OEM specs/spring rate.. of course, and Bilstein says the ride shouldn't be that bad on 2 inch setting.. of course. Honestly, what do you expect when you add more preload to a spring, just to gain ride height?

There was 0 flex or compression of the front end when the Bilsteins were set at the 2 inch lift setting

My advice, steer away from the 2 inch setting on the Bilsteins, keep it at 0 and just use a spacer for leveling if leveling is desired. *I did not experience the Bilstein's ride quality on stock springs at the 2 inch lift setting, only with the new Monroe coils.

Last edited by tman07f150; 07-22-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Search this Thread